Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Dial Hard wrote: »
    But the trainer didn't call you a dick so this is a completely false and pointless analogy.

You know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

teednab-el wrote: »
    You have a point there. Complaining to my boss may do nothing but I don't think I have anything to lose in reporting him especially when i didnt like the manner in which he conducted the training towards me. Yes there was a bit of mocking but all at my expense and a bit harsh I felt.

That's the thing, you have nothing to gain, that I can see, but you do have something to lose. You could be seen as thin skinned/easily offended. You gave the trainer a piece of your mind, would you be at all concerned that your manager may be wary of sending you on future training courses or if you being offended by the usual banter/ribbing that occurs in all workplaces?

I think we all understand what you went through, and most of us have experienced it at one time or another, but you can't go around complaining every time someone has a giggle at you.

davo10 wrote: »
    That's the thing, you have nothing to gain, that I can see, but you do have something to lose. You could be seen as thin skinned/easily offended. You gave the trainer a piece of your mind, would you be at all concerned that your manager may be wary of sending you on future training courses or if you being offended by the usual banter/ribbing that occurs in all workplaces?

Banter and intimidating are not the same meaning.

Banter and intimidating are not the same meaning.

How were you intimidated? Were you threatened?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

davo10 wrote: »
    You have a point there. Complaining to my boss may do nothing but I don't think I have anything to lose in reporting him especially when i didnt like the manner in which he conducted the training towards me. Yes there was a bit of mocking but all at my expense and a bit harsh I felt.

I think we all understand what you went through, and most of us have experienced it at one time or another, but you can't go around complaining every time someone has a giggle at you.
    As paddy Jackson about his recent banter

• Advertisement

judeboy101 wrote: »

Quite possibly the stupidest post ever on boards.

judeboy101 wrote: »

I be slow on saying anything about the above name.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

For me training should show me how to use the equipment and in doing so increase my knowledge in the matter and without singling out someone and questioning their abilities.

I think personally he should be spoken to and that his job is to train and not insult the employees.
    So why don’t you report this to your boss and ask him to look into it for you, and follow it up with you when he hears back from the training firm he engaged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

but I don't think I have anything to lose in reporting him

eh...yeah you do, that's what almost everybody here is trying to explain to you.

Put yourself in your managers shoes.

You're a manager who has paid/arranged to have paid for an employee to be trained.

Is said employee now trained? Yes....

Do you need to know anything else about this training? No...

And you know what, I get it, you're pissed off, maybe even rightly so (I don't know and can't really tell from what you've described) but honestly, genuinely : There is almost no chance anything good will come from complaining and there is lots of chance something not so good will come from complaining.

If you really feel you must say something then frame it in a way as 'I didn't think the trainer was very professional' rather than 'he really upset me'.

But....try to relax over the weekend, have some fun and then have another think about whether or not complaining is a useful way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

In your first post you said you had experience working with similar equipment but the instructor said you were doing it wrong.

So now, from a position of thinking you what you were doing, it was suddenly shown that you were doing it wrong all along.

That can be a bit of a disturbing experience, it's happened to me and it can knock you off balance a bit.

The instructor may have been a bit of an "old hand" who probably has seen it all and can be a bit sarcastic.

However, you must just get over it. Look on it as a learning experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If you do not have a permanent relationship with the trainer if is probably not worth raising the incident with your boss.

If however the trainer were to be rehired in the future to retrain you in the function on a newer piece of equipment then it might be worth your while getting your boss to look into getting an alternative source for the training. I have come across some excellent trainers in my 30 yrs in industry and also have come across some useless creatures with the charisma of a mollusc and the people skills of a rattlesnake.

Try and find out what future direction your company's training plan is headed in, will there be repeat doses of training in the future or is this the end of your contact with this trainer?

Trying to get revenge on the trainer is not a wise move and will only make you look thin skinned to your boss. You should not have to put up with repeat doses of sarcasm and ridicule however.

Advertisement