Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strictly Come Dancing 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

There was no need for Bruno to be so snarky about Graeme and Oti, I mean it was obvious they were all going to save Ashley, but I thought he was unnessarily ****ty towards him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

ncmc wrote: »
    There was no need for Bruno to be so snarky about Graeme and Oti, I mean it was obvious they were all going to save Ashley, but I thought he was unnessarily ****ty towards him.

Absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Only managed to watch last night's show tonight and just finished watching the DO.
    Charles had an awful posture for his dance. He had his head jutting forward and that made his arse stick out. His head should be looking at his left hand.
    Joe - what a nonsensical "dance". Two tens for it was an utter farce.
    Lauren and AJ are obviously very popular.
    I always had a suspicion that Ashley wasn't overly popular and now that there are less contestants in it, we're seeing how few fans she must have. It's always difficult for non-UK contestants anyway.
    I wasn't mad about Stacey's dance. Too "hippy", as in, far too much hip movement.
    But anyway, Joe... wtf was that all about??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Heroditas wrote: »
    Only managed to watch last night's show tonight and just finished watching the DO.
    Charles had an awful posture for his dance. He had his head jutting forward and that made his arse stick out. His head should be looking at his left hand.
    Joe - what a nonsensical "dance". Two tens for it was an utter farce.
    Lauren and AJ are obviously very popular.
    I always had a suspicion that Ashley wasn't overly popular and now that there are less contestants in it, we're seeing how few fans she must have. It's always difficult for non-UK contestants anyway.
    I wasn't mad about Stacey's dance. Too "hippy", as in, far too much hip movement.
    But anyway, Joe... wtf was that all about??!!

Can't understand why he is getting 10's and overall fav to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Happy4all wrote: »
    Can't understand why he is getting 10's and overall fav to win.

Me2. Charles & Faye fan here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I’m glad Ashley was in the DO she was overmarked last night. Her dance was very aggressive.

Bruno was downright rude to Graham and Oti. Very disingenuous of him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yeah, there was no need for Bruno to go on like that. Everyone knew it. I expected Graeme to go this week and he has.

The lindyhop scoring was a total mess.

There's always some kind of shock person in the dance-off at this stage of the competition.

What I don't get is the love for Joe. Obviously he's got a huge social media crowd voting but his last few dances have been shockingly over-marked.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I watch this in passing and Bruno has always annoyed me. It's all "look at me, look at me with him" but the remarks to Graeme were very uncalled.
    I thought the spirit of the show was to see the unlikely journey of dancers to a decent level of dancing.

Pussycat Dolls were a Vegas Strip cabaret act with a high benchmark for dance ability. No shítting way Ashley is going to be a better dancer, that's not what the show is about.

Oti, rightly pointed out that Graeme embodied the spirit of Strictly.

Looks like Ashley has hit her ceiling with the viewers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

For ashley to be in the dance-off she must have come bottom or at best send last in the viewer vote. I can see her making the finals because the judges will pick her in the dance offs but she can expect to be in a lot more dance offs.

I am bad at maths but am presuming that top of the leader board was protecting Ashley up to now ? Once she slipped down it showed that she was not top of the publics choice ?

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am bad at maths but am presuming that top of the leader board was protecting Ashley up to now ? Once she slipped down it showed that she was not top of the publics choice ?

absolutely. For her to be in the bottom 2 she has to finish last in the viewer vote. I think what saved lauren last night is that she got 2 points for finishing bottom of the judges vote instead of the usual 1. Combined with a strong viewer vote this was enough to save her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

What’s the story with Shirley’s sickening love for Joe?? It’s somewhat disturbing actually. Not quite sure why they bother giving Bruno a chair as he feels he has to stand up to make his “ott judgement”! Surprised he hasn’t done his usual “falling off the chair stunt” this year - dunno what Bruno said to Graeme as I switched off once I found out who was voted off. Iv little to no tolerance for Tess Daly’s simpering anymore & find her in general vomit inducing

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

skearnsot wrote: »
    What’s the story with Shirley’s sickening love for Joe?? It’s somewhat disturbing actually. Not quite sure why they bother giving Bruno a chair as he feels he has to stand up to make his “ott judgement”! Surprised he hasn’t done his usual “falling off the chair stunt” this year - dunno what Bruno said to Graeme as I switched off once I found out who was voted off. Iv little to no tolerance for Tess Daly’s simpering anymore & find her in general vomit inducing

He has, twice from what i recall!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

He has, twice from what i recall!!

Oh for Gods sake really? That’s what fast forwarding gets me I suppose thanks for setting me straight on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

One things for certai , Claudia showed her professionalism the other night with the lindyhop mistake. Very capable of improvising whereas Tess froze. So did Bruno when Shirley froze.

I actually like Joe but what on earth , how was that dancing? And 10's!! Goes to show his popularity or that Ashley and Graham were so unpopular that they kept him from the dance off. Totally agreed with the judges and Ashley, at least she improved in the dance off. Lauren must be getting some support but she's reached as far as she can in dancing. I just don't get the constant praise for Stacey and Kevin. She's done some very good dances but last 2weeks werent for me ( Kevin was exceptional though). I'm hoping to see Charles and Karen improve this week. Faye's waltz was nice but I get bored during her routines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I feel if Joe and Dianne were doing that Commercial / Street on Dancing with the Stars in Ireland I think most people would be calling it corny.

It's even very risky to do couples choice like that in the UK. The public don't like too much change . Lauren and AJ were very brave that start it off.

Erin Boag so wrong on ITT. She thinks Ashley and Pasha's samba was the best ever on Strictly.

Lies.

Danny and Oti by a mile. I think I'll watch it again.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Erin Boag so wrong on ITT. She thinks Ashley and Pasha's samba was the best ever on Strictly.

Lies.

And again, and again-don’t know how many YouTube hits there have been, but I’m responsible for a lot of them. Danny & Oti changed my attitude towards watching the Samba. Really enjoyed Charles & Karen’s recent one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

pinkypinky wrote: »

Lies.

I would go so far as to say best dance on Strictly ever. Never tire of watching it.

• Advertisement

It's definitely in my top ten of all time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I feel if Joe and Dianne were doing that Commercial / Street on Dancing with the Stars in Ireland I think most people would be calling it corny.

They would and that's one of the reasons why I think that DWTS is in some ways better than Strictly now.
    DWTS doesn't overly rely on props or gimmicky dances. It's all about the Latin and Ballroom and not some cannibalised version of Burn the Floor.
    Certainly, for the majority, the pros on DWTS are actually better than the Strictly ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Scribbler100

This series has left me thinking WTF :confused: several times now. I'm no expert, but like everyone here I've picked up a few insights over the years. There are some dances that make you hold your breath, where you want to cheer them at the end and rewind to watch again and again. Those often prove to be the ones garnering 39s and 40s. This season I might watch a performance and think "Not bad" or even "Meh!" but then the judges go wild and strew them with 9s and 10s.

Ashley and Pasha's samba was very good, but it wasn't in the same league as Danny and Oti's. Joe and Dianne's commercial/street dance wasn't just mediocre, it was awful. I like Stacey, but I wasn't wildly impressed by her paso, it just didn't have the fire or that connection with Kevin that I expected. I thought Craig was going to slate her for her non-flamenco hands, but I couldn't have been more wrong. I'm not on the same wavelength as the judges at all this season.

Something that did take my breath away on Sunday, was a move in the dance during the Rod Stewart number (about 18 mins into the programme). Johannes did a lift with one arm straight up above his head, supporting his partner on her side as she held her arms and legs outstretched. They held it there for a beat, just frozen, looking effortless. I was blown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

This series has left me thinking WTF :confused: several times now. I'm no expert, but like everyone here I've picked up a few insights over the years. There are some dances that make you hold your breath, where you want to cheer them at the end and rewind to watch again and again. Those often prove to be the ones garnering 39s and 40s. This season I might watch a performance and think "Not bad" or even "Meh!" but then the judges go wild and strew them with 9s and 10s.

Ashley and Pasha's samba was very good, but it wasn't in the same league as Danny and Oti's. Joe and Dianne's commercial/street dance wasn't just mediocre, it was awful. I like Stacey, but I wasn't wildly impressed by her paso, it just didn't have the fire or that connection with Kevin that I expected. I thought Craig was going to slate her for her non-flamenco hands, but I couldn't have been more wrong. I'm not on the same wavelength as the judges at all this season.

Something that did take my breath away on Sunday, was a move in the dance during the Rod Stewart number (about 18 mins into the programme). Johannes did a lift with one arm straight up above his head, supporting his partner on her side as she held her arms and legs outstretched. They held it there for a beat, just frozen, looking effortless. I was blown away.

I saw that one-handed lift too and I was oohing to myself here. Pretty special to watch the ease with which it was performed.

Another great Samba in my opinion was Joe and Katyas Money

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ixazk9DORlM

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Another great Samba in my opinion was Joe and Katyas Money

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ixazk9DORlM

One of my all time favourite routines

I think it was Katya , she's amazing. I also saw Anton (approx 1.56) do this leap from the table in the pro dance that showed his agility as a dancer. Pity we don't get more routines from the pros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

With Musicals Week almost upon us, I guess it's time to look at the bookies' markets again... :D

Paddy Power: Stacey 10/11, Joe 7/4, Faye 8/1, Ashley 9/1, Charles 14/1, Lauren 18/1
    Ladbrokes, Coral: Stacey 10/11, Joe 9/4, Ashley 10/1, Faye 12/1, Lauren 16/1, Charles 20/1
    William Hill: Stacey 10/11, Joe 7/4, Faye 8/1, Ashley 9/1, Charles 14/1, Lauren 16/1

Well, the general view is that Joe did not have a good week last week - and the fact that Stacey has overtaken him as the favourite seems to reflect that.

As expected, Ashley has drifted out following her first experience of the DO. :D:D Interesting that Ladbrokes and Coral (under common ownership, hence their markets being the same) offer noticeably longer odds on Faye, even though she got the highest score last week.

I presume that many predict that Stacey, Joe, Ashley and Faye will be the final four - even if Ashley ends up in both remaining DOs. That said, there haven't been any major shocks yet... ;)

Those clothes made Bruno look tubby. Terrible choice.

• Advertisement

Tess looks like the wrapper on a Quailty Street sweet

Advertisement