Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strictly Come Dancing 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Contestants like Faye are fine. Its nice to have a mixture of abilities (to an extent) at the beginning, and also there's a risk you could end up with a majority of complete duds if you go for a full cast with zero experience at all

Ashley should never have been cast in a million years though, but it was always patently obvious she'd get f-all public support anyway. Whatever about her previous experience she also comes across as completely insincere and this is a popularity contest as much as anything. She'll do well to get a 5% share of the vote in the final (of course they'll put her through to the final)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

If we do get an Ashley/Faye dance off, I don't fancy Faye's chances. Shirley doesn't seem to be a fan of hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,402 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

rikki2 wrote: »
    By that comment you assume Joe is going to be in the final?
    I keep saying whoever has the best costumes will go through, FACT

Yeah I'm thinking that Joe and also Lauren will avoid the D-O and get through to the final because of their popularity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Whatever about their popularity, I hope to see an improvement in Joe this weekend. I worry now there's two dances although at least one is a ballroom number which he's better at.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Only catching up on last weekend's show now.....

Loved Faye's charleston, but didn't think it merited a 40.... might have to watch back again.

Lauren ..... meh. But by golly she's the image of her Nan :D

Charles - can't stand the rumba, and can't stand that song Maria - so I basically didn't watch really.

I've been sneak-peeking at comments as I go along, and interesting that there are comments about Stacey and Joe, but who comes along after Charles but Ashley, and not a word about her!! Telling, or what?? Have to say, she pulls off a mean Barbra Streisand impression :eek::eek: But God I HATE that lip-licking thing she does :mad:

Stacey's dance.....didn't do it for me at all.... I ADORE Les Mis, but hated the singer's version of that song, and the dance just..... meh, I dunno. Not for me, anyway. Clearly the judges disagree :eek:

And last but not least..... Mother of God, WHAT did they make Joe do to that unbelievably unsalsa tune??? That was far more disco than salsa.... impossible to properly do salsa to, I'd say. Awful! (and I'm a huge Joseph fan!)

Not a great show in my book, Faye was far and away the best of the night. But then some of them just didn't float my boat, can't knock the technical skills in fairness.

Right, off to see who fell foul of the voting public this week :eek:

• Advertisement

Oooh, I loved that Rhythm of Life routine! Brilliantly wacky!!

I'd say Stacey is absolutely made for the charleston - looking forward to that next week!

Jesus, the height (and skinniness) of those stilettos Katya is wearing :eek::eek:

Cateym wrote: »
    Proper order too ;) Lauren and AJ's reaction was gold!
    Had to rewind to see - and it was!!!

Tess wearing the sofa cover tonight.... not a great look tbh!

Oh feck off with the tears Ashley, and the "but we just work so hard" - yeah, you and everyone else, baby.

Just watched Faye's charleston back - and in fairness, it was bloody brilliant. As the judges said, they were perfectly in sync - and she was FAR better able to high kick than Giovanni! I'll allow the four 10's after all :D

I thought the comments/reasons given for the result of the dance-off were grossly unfair - all the judges (well, bar Shirley who just said she agreed) said they gave the vote to the more complex/difficult/complicated routine. Which meant that Charles lost out to the rostering lottery for dances.

What ever happened to giving your vote to the more technically accomplished dance by the celeb (that is what the show is meant to be about after all, isn't it?)

Maybe Ashley would have won that vote anyway, but just putting her through because she happened to have a million-miles-an-hour flashy quickstep routine that week is very unfair to Charles who had a slow, deliberate one - which according to the judges' comments earlier, he danced brilliantly.

Harumph.

• Advertisement

One last thing re the charleston - the goat puppet absolutely freaking out behind them at the end was just :D:D:D

And Ashley's bandmate (can't tell them apart so no idea which one it was) was a bit bootfaced clapping in the audience!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I suppose in the early rounds they eliminate the less technically capable dancers when they get their chance?

If someone gets a really easy routine and bounces their way around the dance floor executing all the steps taught to them, it would be unfair to let them through over a more capable dancer when their routine wad more difficult?

Not for one second suggesting that's what charles did, just grasping at straws to find the consistency with the judges.

I'm not at all defending their love of Ashley either. If the judges say that it's the best male rumba they've ever seen on strictly , but not the best female quickstep, should they have saved Ashley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

So, just like last year, there are four female celebs and only one male celeb in the semi-final. Is there anyone who *still* doesn't think that there's a push for the first female celeb winner since 2014...? :o:o:D;)

Of this year's final five, only Ashley has previously been in the dance-off - meaning that at least two celebs will make the final having not been in the DO at all. For comparison, the only finalist last year not to have been in the DO was Joe McFadden, who of course was the eventual winner.

Let's look at the bookies' markets ahead of tonight... :D

Paddy Power: Stacey 8/11, Joe 9/4, Lauren 13/2, Faye 9/1, Ashley 20/1
    Ladbrokes, Coral: Stacey 10/11, Joe 11/4, Lauren 6/1, Faye 8/1, Ashley 20/1
    William Hill: Stacey 8/11, Joe 9/4, Lauren 13/2, Faye 8/1, Ashley 14/1

So Ashley is now an outsider, even though she'll almost certainly be in the final. As I've said before, the only way she *won't* be in it is if she's up against Stacey, Joe or Faye in the DO and they dance their hearts out (and they'd certainly have to, after Shirley and Co voted unanimously to save Ashley last week and the week before).

The Beeb did an article on Ashley yesterday, asking if she was too good for Strictly - and also pointing out that not being British may well be counting against her too. (Mind you, the distinctly non-American Katherine Jenkins *did* finish runner-up on DWTS...)

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-46443299

It's not too surprising that Lauren has come in from around 16/1 last week - yet it's not too surprising either that she remains the favourite to go this week. :o She almost certainly will go if she ends up in the DO, and that would be disappointing - but regardless what happens, no-one can deny that she has done brilliantly and made many people proud. :):) She had a lot to live up to after Jonnie Peacock last year - but there's no doubt that the next Paralympian to take part will have even more to live up to.

Finally, I'm probably not the only one who feels that this year's series has been lighter on shocks than normal - there certainly haven't been any major ones. (Kissgate wasn't a shock at all - as I illustrated, it wasn't the first time Seann Walsh made a total eejit of himself.) It *would* be fun to get one this week or next week - whereas, in complete contrast, Ashley and Lauren in the DO (as no doubt most people predict) and the judges again voting unanimously to save Ashley would feel like an anticlimax... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Come on Stacey !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Joe's tango was a bit sh1t.

Shirley's fawning seems a bit pervy.

Happy4all wrote: »
    Joe's tango was a bit sh1t.

Shirley's fawning seems a bit pervy.

He looked like a gangly 15 year old in a school play .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Good gawd would Tess ever shut up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

razorblunt wrote: »
    Good gawd would Tess ever shut up!

the same few lines every week

repeat, repeat , repeat.

I wonder what she gets paid?

Happy4all wrote: »

repeat, repeat , repeat.

I wonder what she gets paid?

Even on ITT she has her guard up the hold time. I wonder is it something Bruce taught her. Though he was always able to ad lib he always expected a certain professionalism. So I wonder whether that's where she gets it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,402 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Plainly obvious that Lauren/AJ and Joe/Diane should be in the DO but it's up to the British public to vote properly!

I loved Faye & Gio's Argentine Tango!

• Advertisement

Definitely it should be Lauren v Joe but I doubt it will be . The final will be poorer if Lauren or Joe have to dance 3 dances . They both struggled tonight .
    I would love to watch a Faye , Ashley , Stacey final but anyone but Ashley to actually win .

Plainly obvious that Lauren/AJ and Joe/Diane should be in the DO but it's up to the British public to vote properly!

It wouldn't be fun if the British public *always* voted properly, IMHO.

(Although, of course, there *have* been occasions when they haven't voted properly and they really should have... :o)

As I said, this year's series has felt lighter on shocks than normal, and so it *would* be fun if there was one this week or next. If there *is* one, though, don't blame me for it... :o:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

What an Argentine Tango from Faye and Giovanni!
    I had to laugh at Darcey saying how Joe was like a Ballroom pro and he had just scored under 30 for his first dance! Both his dances were pretty poor. He couldn't even lift Diane properly.
    However, the less said about Lauren's Samba the better. Dear oh dear... it was what you'd expect from the first or second week.
    Kevin got a bit narky at some of the well deserved comments thrown at him and Stacey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Even on ITT she has her guard up the hold time. I wonder is it something Bruce taught her. Though he was always able to ad lib he always expected a certain professionalism. So I wonder whether that's where she gets it?

I think its because she has zero personality, she'll present exactly how and what you want but with zero deviation.

She was incredibly patronising too.

I'm not a fan of Winkleman either but she has a bit of humanity about her.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I think its because she has zero personality, she'll present exactly how and what you want but with zero deviation.

She was incredibly patronising too.

I'm not a fan of Winkleman either but she has a bit of humanity about her.

I remember when she was on CD UK with ant and Dec...and certainly you wouldn't think ad libbing would be her thing, but she was always up for a laugh. She's done well to take over from where Bruce left off. She's done better than I expected anyway.

I didn't look at Faye much during the samba tbf :o

Well, knock me down with a feather.

Well no shocks yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Happy4all wrote:

Happy4all wrote:
    repeat, repeat , repeat.

She's a robot that was commissioned by BBC producers a few years ago. That's the only rational explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

So Joe will be by far and away the 4th best dancer in the final and is going to romp home with the public vote.

Advertisement