Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strictly Come Dancing 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ah its nice that he did. He very well mannered. Is he not leaving it after this year? Nice that one of the girls won it. Would have liked to see one of the other girls win it they were strong contenders and did very well throughout the series. Finalists were all very good any of them could have won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Plenty of tweets about Stacey Dooley tonight and not about winning strictly come dancing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Plenty of tweets about Stacey Dooley tonight and not about winning strictly come dancing :pac:

?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm guessing its about the unfortunate leotard colour choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I'm guessing its about the unfortunate leotard colour choice!

A very unfortunate choice !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Very surprised and pleased for Stacey and Kevin - though I thought Faye deserved it more on tonight's performances. That jazz theatre is the dance of the season for me.

I really didn't like Ashley's showdance. It epitomises what I hate about showdances: let's pose the woman in the air and it's all about lifts and very little traditional dancing.

Delighted to see Karen congratulate Kevin so warmly too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm guessing people turned a little more against Faye after her CV was published listing all her acomplished styles of dance and that she's a trained choreographer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I thought Ashley’s show dance showed incredible athleticism, I’m definitely going to watch it back, but when I saw them both in bare feet, I instantly said ugh! It’s my pet peeve dancing in bare feet! I think it would have worked so much better in heels. Her leotard didn’t leave much to the imagination, the Strictly waxer must have been on double time this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I thought all the dancers did brilliantly tonight.
    I didn't think Ashley's and Stacey's showdances did the job of showcasing all they could do, whereas Faye and Joe really played to their strengths and produced proper crowd-pleasers.
    Stacey is a worthy winner, and I'm delighted for Kevin to have finally won after reaching the final but never quite making it to the glitter ball in the past. He's getting some stick for reacting emotionally to the win tonight but he was the driving force - it was clear how much he wanted to win and how much he wanted Stacey to win, and there's nothing wrong with that!
    Stacey's paso was perfect. I loved that it wasn't the same as when she danced it the first time - then it was more flamenco, whereas tonight it was all sass! Really cool dance. After all his fuss about doing the Strictly Ballroom paso routine a couple of years ago (which fell flat, for me anyway!), Kev and the choreographer really pulled it out of the bag with that one.
    Faye was my favourite dancer tonight - that last dance was perfect, her showdance was stunning, and she came across very well in all the interviews. I would have been just as happy to see her win.
    Joe did awfully well considering his genuine lack of experience - he struck gold getting Diane as a partner I think! Some of their lifts were very impressive.
    Ashley's showdance was impressive from the point of view of athleticism but I would have liked to see more dance steps in there. Didn't like how she came out of so many of the lifts flat-footed - I'm sure it's just the style of the dance but she's generally such a graceful dancer and that didn't always come across for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I missed it all. Would you believe it, I actually missed every minute of the Strictly final... :eek: :eek: :eek: :o:o:o

Why on earth did I think that it was on Sunday night rather than Saturday night - even though the Strictly final has always been on a Saturday, and Sunday night is BBC Sports Personality night?

Oh, well - as the Human League sung all those years ago, "I'm only human, born to make mistakes." :)

So the wait for a first female celeb winner since Caroline Flack in 2014 is over (or, if you're slightly more cynical, the push for a first female celeb winner since Caroline Flack in 2014 has finally paid off). ;) It's easy to say that Stacey and Kevin only getting two 39s and a 36(!) had a considerable influence on the public vote - but Stacey *was* around 2/5 to win with the bookies, while Joe was around 3/1 and Faye 9/1.

And I have to say that had Joe won, it would have been just a little bit like when Leon Jackson won the X Factor in 2007. Just about everyone including the bookies expected Rhydian to win, and when the shock of Leon winning instead had subsided, quite a few people argued fairly vociferously that it was because all of his fellow Scots voted for him (obviously they weren't Scottish themselves). Had Joe beaten Stacey, it probably wouldn't have been *quite* as big a shock, but it would have still gone down as one - again, Stacey was around 2/5 with the bookies - and it's certainly not beyond possibility that quite a few people would have argued fairly vociferously that it was because all of Joe's followers on YouTube and the like voted for him. ;)

Heroditas wrote: »
    I seem to remember the format has changed a few times.
    Think it's been Judges' Choice then Showdance.
    Vote
    Couples Choice to finish

Last year's final, of course, was the first in which all four couples danced all three dances - and hence the first with three runners-up, rather than one or two.

Here's what I said about it at the time:
    Again, I can tolerate having two runners-up, as has been the case since 2012. But three is ever-so-slightly ridiculous, especially if the actual second-placed couple received considerably more votes than the fourth-placed couple... :o

But que sera sera.

Well, my view hasn't changed. I mean, who *doesn't* think Ashley finished fourth in the vote, and a distant fourth at that? Beaten comfortably by the other three, but getting a silver medal anyway... the only way that happens in athletics, of course, is if two of the three get disqualified for doping (and surely no Strictly celeb would take drugs to make them better dancers). I presume, too, that the general view is that Joe was the true runner-up with Faye third.

A part of me *does* sometimes wish that someone would leak the actual figures and percentages from the vote on Twitter or Facebook. If that *did* happen, however, the anti-BBC rags (Mail, Express etc) would almost certainly have a field day, and the show's reputation would probably be harmed rather than enhanced.

Be careful what you wish for, I guess. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Why do you think releasing the figures would harm the show?

The poorest dancer on the night won.
    Ashley’s first two dances were just too manic.
    Faye was best overall on the night.
    Joe did his best.

I am re watching it now and can take in more and what is absolutely striking is the full and joyful support from everyone in the Claudatorium . The pros and celebs just being happy and supportive is lovely to see .

Joe did his best.

I loved Stacey and was rooting for her . Her showdance was definitely not the best but I blame Kevins frantic choreography on that . It was poor choreography for a final in my opinion . Stacey could only dance what she was given to dance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Joe did his best.

Stacey was better than Joe imo. But I agree Ashley and Faye were better, but I’m delighted Stacey won. Ashley and Faye have had so much previous dance experience it was fairer that a complete novice won. Faye was fantastic, she looked like a pro. I couldn’t warm to Ashley at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

People would see how few votes some of the celebrities actually get and it would deter celebs from signing up to take part.

Well my own take was that Faye and Ashley were the best dancers on the night. Not mad on Ashley's Showdance but it was very good.
    Loved Faye's. It was a classic Giovanni number!
    Joe's was a bit meh...
    Stacey's was awful. It was quite literally Kevin doing a lap of honour on the dancefloor. Talk about BBC making the whole final and ITT about Kevin all week. It's like they were desperate for him to win.
    The only thing I'll say is I'm delighted he didn't score 40s all the way through the final.
    I'm glad for Stacey because she hadn't danced much before and did improve as the series progressed. I'm also glad that the whole social media mobilisation of votes didn't appear like I thought it would.

Well that's it for another year. Only a couple of weeks until DWTS which operates on a budget 1/10 of Strictly's!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

People would see how few votes some of the celebrities actually get and it would deter celebs from signing up to take part.

Well my own take was that Faye and Ashley were the best dancers on the night. Not mad on Ashley's Showdance but it was very good.
    Loved Faye's. It was a classic Giovanni number!
    Joe's was a bit meh...
    Stacey's was awful. It was quite literally Kevin doing a lap of honour on the dancefloor. Talk about BBC making the whole final and ITT about Kevin all week. It's like they were desperate for him to win.
    The only thing I'll say is I'm delighted he didn't score 40s all the way through the final.
    I'm glad for Stacey because she hadn't danced much before and did improve as the series progressed. I'm also glad that the whole social media mobilisation of votes didn't appear like I thought it would.

Well that's it for another year. Only a couple of weeks until DWTS which operates on a budget 1/10 of Strictly's!

DWTS do get to use some the dresses used on strictly. They mentioned that on ITT during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ashley Roberts is dating Giovanni Pernice

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Is she ? Where did you read that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

NO

• Advertisement

Some huge egos there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqxsB-txWuI

Nice interview on This Morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

If joe & Diane were or are together what was the big idea of her fake tears telling him how much she’d miss him
    It was far more fake than anything Ashley ever said or did and she was sooooo fake

If Ashley and Gio are a thing I think its nice. I didn't really warm to her but they could always have been "accidentally" photographed for a bit more attention on the show etc and they didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Plus, it's BBC policy not to release these figures - and *any* time BBC policy is violated, the Mail, Express etc pounce like hungry tigers.

(Mind you, they also pounce any time they *perceive* BBC policy to be violated, when in fact it isn't.)

Incidentally, it appears that the Beeb have stopped releasing Sports Personality voting figures as well. We may never know exactly how many more votes Geraint Thomas got than Harry Kane, who only finished third having been the bookies' favourite (but not odds-on like Stacey).

Plus, it's BBC policy not to release these figures - and *any* time BBC policy is violated, the Mail, Express etc pounce like hungry tigers.

(Mind you, they also pounce any time they *perceive* BBC policy to be violated, when in fact it isn't.)

Incidentally, it appears that the Beeb have stopped releasing Sports Personality voting figures as well. We may never know exactly how many more votes Geraint Thomas got than Harry Kane, who only finished third having been the bookies' favourite (but not odds-on like Stacey).

The bookies must have inside information going by the betting.

Chris Evans on The One Show, says that he’s signed up for next years Strictly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Alan Carr has said he's been asked and will do it too apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Only if he can avoid the stupid VTs though, so he's probably not doing it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement