Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting shed into music room

Options
  • 05-04-2018 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum.

I have a block shed out the back which measures 2.5m x 3.5m and currently houses a chest freezer, the washing machine, dryer and assorted junk (paint, garden equipment etc).

I want to build a similar sized shed next to the current shed. The new shed will have a front door and I will access the old shed through the new shed as the old shed door is on the side.

For the new shed I need foundations, a floor, 3 walls (edit from 4 walls as 1 wall will be shared with the old shed) and a roof. The inside will just be bear essentials as it's only a shed.

I'll be moving the washing machine into this shed (from the old shed) so I'll need to install drainage to the mains at the rear of the house (distance of maybe 5m)

For the old shed (which I'm converting) I'll need some flooring to cover the existing concrete floor but what type of flooring would you recommend ?

I need 2 new windows which measure 90cm wide and approx 120cm high as the current windows are wood and not air tight.

I also need 2 new doors as well as some sort of ventilation sysytem.

The walls need to be plasterboarded and I'm thinking of the slightly more expensive sound proof plasterboard so that my neighbours won't complain about the noise.

The loudest instrument in the music room would be an electric guitar as the room is too small for drums.

A key point is that the ceiling needs to be raised by at least a block. I'm not sure what type of roof I should get as I'll be recording music too so I don't want the sound of rain falling on the roof.

There is already electricity in the shed which powers the washing machine/dryer/freezer and light.

The light is just a bulb on a wire but I am thinking of installing dimable recess lights.

I'd also like some extra sockets installed for the recording equipment and amps etc.

I'd really appreciate it if you could;

1) outline some of the materials that I should use for a good sounding music room (ie good soundproof plasterboard and similar insulation underneath etc)

2) a rough estimate of the total cost

3) any other ideas that you may have about the project

Feel free to ask for more info :)

Thanks

Edit: The old shed has its own access from the street however you need to enter a gate before walking down to the shed. Hence I am not too fussed about entering the music room from the new shed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Hi. I could give you a guide price for materials, but would need to know what dimensions. You say it will be similar size, but also mention it will be higher. Can you be more exact? Length and width. What is the ground like on the site? Will the new build be to the side, or rear of the house? What is the roof like on the existing shed. What county are you based? Is this a DIY....do you have a builder....etc etc.

Advertisement