Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Botanic Gardens Level 5 Horticulture course

Options
  • 05-04-2018 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi. I'm looking to do the level 5 horticulture course in the botanic gardens. I've viewed a previous thread for a feel of what to expect there but the thread tapered off into bit of a slanging match and there's not much information, besides one person not advising to go there (they seemed to think it has a bad rep among students?!) Just a few questions for anyone who has been there recently or if anyone would be willing to help....

How hard is the course? Anyone know the pass rate? I'm a bit terrified at the prospect of learning the latins! I know the lay out of the week but when i went to the open day i forgot to ask if you would get sent to a local park near to where you live (you do park work 2 days a week).
    I'm actually a self employed gardener and have a busy enough little business. At least 6 hours work a day. 30hrs a week. Do people think it would be possible to work a near fulltime job and do the fulltime course? Granted much of the course is done over winter so i would have that going for me.
    Just any general advice would help. Bit of a big life decision so i don't want to go into it with blinkers on. Thanks anyone for any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Lawnmo wrote: »
    Hi. I'm looking to do the level 5 horticulture course in the botanic gardens. I've viewed a previous thread for a feel of what to expect there but the thread tapered off into bit of a slanging match and there's not much information, besides one person not advising to go there (they seemed to think it has a bad rep among students?!) Just a few questions for anyone who has been there recently or if anyone would be willing to help....

How hard is the course? Anyone know the pass rate? I'm a bit terrified at the prospect of learning the latins! I know the lay out of the week but when i went to the open day i forgot to ask if you would get sent to a local park near to where you live (you do park work 2 days a week).
    I'm actually a self employed gardener and have a busy enough little business. At least 6 hours work a day. 30hrs a week. Do people think it would be possible to work a near fulltime job and do the fulltime course? Granted much of the course is done over winter so i would have that going for me.
    Just any general advice would help. Bit of a big life decision so i don't want to go into it with blinkers on. Thanks anyone for any info
    cant answer your more specific questions, but id say do the course if its a career you want to follow. If you enjoy plants then learning them is a bit easier and customers will appreciate you know specific plants and it will set you apart from the operators with a lawnmower and leafblower.
    Plenty of 'gardeners and landscapers ' wouldnt know botanical names. I went to hort. College as a mature student and wasnt too worried about the grades, but concentrated on what i needed to learn to suit my after college goal. 22 years on, no regrets and still learning everyday.
    You get out of these things what you put in.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lawnmo

Hi rje66. Thanks for the response. I've been in garden maintenance over 15 years now but i would probably put myself in the 'lawnmower and leafblower' class meself. I'd know a fair bit but probably not as much as i should know given the amount of time i've been in the game. I understand the 'you get out of it what you put in' idea, but my concern is just how much i could put in while still doing a working week. I went to the open day and asked one of the teachers on the pass rate, which i thought was a fair question, but the only response i got was that plenty of people drop out of the course. I've no idea wheter that's down to the the difficulty of it. I'd be surprised at anyone dropping out because of the cost of it. Fairly pricey. I don't expect it to be easy, if it was then everyone would be doing it but just seeking general idea on what to expect. Cheers for the response and the positive vibes though!

Advertisement