Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English essay page length

Options
  • 05-04-2018 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Is one side of a sheet only half a page?
    Our teacher recently told that 1 page means both sides which was a bit of a shock and literally doubled our homework. I cant find anything about this elsewhere which leads me to believe that either my teacher or my class are very misinformed.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

One page means one side of a page.
    How long the page is is another story.
    One page of exam answerbook sized paper is about one and 3/4 copybook pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DylanHarkin

spurious wrote: »
    One page means one side of a page.
    How long the page is is another story.
    One page of exam answerbook sized paper is about one and 3/4 copybook pages.

Well she's given us 9-10 a4 pages (in her eyes that's 4-5) on a poet. Is the exam paper equal in size to a4 pages?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a little smaller, because although the page is A4, there are margins both sides and the lines are quite wide apart.

How many marks are the questions that these 9 pages are in answer to?

Answers that are much longer than needed can be terribly waffly and annoy correctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Your teacher is spouting complete BS, one page = one side of a page. I vividly remember misunderstanding that in first year and doing twice the amount of work on a project. :o

As spurious said, though, page numbers are almost completely irrelevant. While they are a good guideline, your content is what matters, and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

You should not be writing 9-10 A4 pages for a poetry essay. Unless you're a very strong English student, you'll actually end up losing marks. You won't have time in 45 minutes anyway. 4-5 A4 pages. Answer the question in every paragraph. Boom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Quality is MUCH more important than quantity (given a reasonable minimum: no matter how well you answer the question, you're unlikely to get full marks for a one page answer on Shakespeare, for example).

Advertisement