Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes for kitchen removal

Options
  • 05-04-2018 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,
    Mod feel free to move if this is not the right thread.

I was hoping someone could sanity check a quote we received for removing a kitchen in preparation for a new kitchen.

The job exists of removing about 14 cabinets, removing about 5 sq m of tiles and replastering, moving 3 sockets, disconnecting and reconnecting the sink and gas and the quote includes a skip. It doesn't include fitting, that is being done by the kitchen supplier.

We were quoted €2100 for the above which is significantly more than we were expecting based on a previous quote we received. Would appreciate any feedback on whether this sounds reasonable.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what was the other quote

vat
    electrition
    gas safe guy
    plumber

expensive trades requiring 2 trips

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭feedthegoat

A bit off topic but why not try selling your old kitchen to defray the costs, we were going to dump ours but put it up on Adverts and got 400 euro for it - 17 year old pine kitchen!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Hotzenplotz

A bit off topic but why not try selling your old kitchen to defray the costs, we were going to dump ours but put it up on Adverts and got 400 euro for it - 17 year old pine kitchen!
    Would love to but the kitchen cabinet doors didn't fare well after an attempt at repainting. Thanks for the suggestion though.

what was the other quote

vat
    electrition
    gas safe guy
    plumber

expensive trades requiring 2 trips
    Other was well below 50% of the above, excluding the gas works.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

A lot of plumbers are certified for Gas too so it really should be cost of a trip for plumber and electrician to cap stuff off (2 hours work each max) and coordinate with putting the kitchen on adverts to have someone remove and take it away. Put it up for free if you don't think it's worth anything, I bet you a tenner people will be queueing up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Money seems reasonable tbh. Personally I'd pull it out myself and dump it it reduce the cost but not everyone is into that

thesteve wrote: »
    A lot of plumbers are certified for Gas too so it really should be cost of a trip for plumber and electrician to cap stuff off (2 hours work each max) and coordinate with putting the kitchen on adverts to have someone remove and take it away. Put it up for free if you don't think it's worth anything, I bet you a tenner people will be queueing up for it.

Thanks, we might well go down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Other was well below 50% of the above, excluding the gas works.

Why don't you back to the firm with the 50% cheaper quote
    The gas part of the job shouldn't amount to 1k

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Sounds cheap to me including RGI, electrician, plasterer, labourer, skip Legal business to cover all the insurance costs and expences must turn over at least 1k a day.

just as a quick work out

2 days @200a day taking out presses, breaking them up, removing tiles, skiping them, plastering, tidy up etc

100 in materials for above

plumber 250 inc materials
    electrition 350 inc materials
    gas man 250 inc materials
    skip 350
    = 1700

profit and contingency 150

13.5% vat brings that to 2100

not too bad realy

• Advertisement

just as a quick work out

2 days @200a day taking out presses, breaking them up, removing tiles, skiping them, plastering, tidy up etc

100 in materials for above

plumber 250 inc materials
    electrition 350 inc materials
    gas man 250 inc materials
    skip 350
    = 1700

profit and contingency 150

13.5% vat brings that to 2100

not too bad realy

Thanks for interest in this post. Have received 3 other quotes all come in round 1k, all certified and registered businesses with insurance, will charge vat etc. Will go with the one that has been recommended by a friend, not the cheapest.

After receiving the initial quote, we reached back out for a break down of costs just like you have written above. Was told they wouldn't provide a breakdown ( which all other quotes provided when asked) and that it was simply what they would charge. That was enough to confirm that we will not be going with that particular business.

Thanks for interest in this post. Have received 3 other quotes all come in round 1k, all certified and registered businesses with insurance, will charge vat etc. Will go with the one that has been recommended by a friend, not the cheapest.

After receiving the initial quote, we reached back out for a break down of costs just like you have written above. Was told they wouldn't provide a breakdown ( which all other quotes provided when asked) and that it was simply what they would charge. That was enough to confirm that we will not be going with that particular business.

What's their breakdown .

What's their breakdown .

Skip hire 170 ( only need midi skip because it is a small kitchen)
    1 day job instead of 2 (small kitchen as above) - Labour 200
    Plumber is certified for gas so can do both - 200
    3 sockets at 100 each
    Materials 100
    970 with Vat 13.5% bringing it to 1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you access to a trailer or van your can skip the kitchen in the local recycling center for free, will break up easily and flatten down. Save you the cost of the skip.
    If it takes a day to dismantle a kitchen I’ll eat my hat. The electrician is having a laugh €100 a socket plus materials.

Have you access to a trailer or van your can skip the kitchen in the local recycling center for free, will break up easily and flatten down. Save you the cost of the skip.
    If it takes a day to dismantle a kitchen I’ll eat my hat. The electrician is having a laugh €100 a socket plus materials.

Jeez lads I am confused 🀔🀔 at this point I think I will just get my dad over to do it. Thanks anyway for all your thoughts.

Jeez lads I am confused ���� at this point I think I will just get my dad over to do it. Thanks anyway for all your thoughts.

It’s a simple job, a drill and a crow bar, if your dads up for it get him to give the orders, he should be able to help disconnect the sockets and sink. Probably knows a cheaper chap to wire the new sockets.
    I’ve done it twice but have never went near gas.
    Bit of satisfaction doing it yourself just remember to turn off water and electricity when wrecking the place : )

It’s a simple job, a drill and a crow bar, if your dads up for it get him to give the orders, he should be able to help disconnect the sockets and sink. Probably knows a cheaper chap to wire the new sockets.
    I’ve done it twice but have never went near gas.
    Bit of satisfaction doing it yourself just remember to turn off water and electricity when wrecking the place : )

You can be reported to authorities if you interfere with electrical sockets or switches, never mind insurance issues if anything goes wrong. There's regulations that must be followed. I bet you will remove asbestos from your house and bring to local landfill.

Jeez lads I am confused ���� at this point I think I will just get my dad over to do it. Thanks anyway for all your thoughts.
    I will suggest, if you don't have budget to complete the job in save manner, don't even start it.

I will suggest, if you don't have budget to complete the job in save manner, don't even start it.

Seriously? Obviously I have the budget and obviously I should know better than to ask a seemingly simply question and expect a simple answer.

I asked because I had receive a range of quotes which were massively different. If 2 k is the going rate than so be it. I want to pay an appropriate rate for an honest days work. What I don't want is to get unhelpful comments as above.

You can be reported to authorities if you interfere with electrical sockets or switches, never mind insurance issues if anything goes wrong. There's regulations that must be followed. I bet you will remove asbestos from your house and bring to local landfill.

One man and his dad taking out some presses in a kitchen, who’s going to report them, the cordless drill?
    I think you better read up on what is illegal and what is not as unscrewing a socket was not the last time I checked. Wiring one on a new circuit is but nobody suggested to do that.
    Turn off the electricity, unscrew socket, tape up wires and have ready for Electrican to sort out when he comes to fit new ones, hardly crime of month.

• Advertisement

One man and his dad taking out some presses in a kitchen, who’s going to report them, the cordless drill?
    I think you better read up on what is illegal and what is not as unscrewing a socket was not the last time I checked. Wiring one on a new circuit is but nobody suggested to do that.
    Turn off the electricity, unscrew socket, tape up wires and have ready for Electrican to sort out when he comes to fit new ones, hardly crime of month.

I believe you are wrong about electrical sockets, last time you checked was probably 5 years ago.
    Plenty cowboys out there didn't care about consequences of there works. electric faults, fire damage and possible fatalities. Don't think saving few quid will be worth it.

Seriously? Obviously I have the budget and obviously I should know better than to ask a seemingly simply question and expect a simple answer.

I asked because I had receive a range of quotes which were massively different. If 2 k is the going rate than so be it. I want to pay an appropriate rate for an honest days work. What I don't want is to get unhelpful comments as above.
    I was answering regards those comments from some cowboys that suggested to do Gas or electricity a DIY way. So if you relay on people like that to give you advice I assume you are really stuck .

I was answering regards those comments from some cowboys that suggested to do Gas or electricity a DIY way. So if you relay on people like that to give you advice I assume you are really stuck .

He’s allowed turn off the electricity and remove a socket/switch. He’s also allowed turn off the water and gas in the house. He’ll still need a plumber and electrician for the new kitchen and switches.
    Only one visit needed if he removes it himself by the Electrican and Plumber and probably best have them all there the same time as kitchen fitter.

There’s nothing cowboy about it only some of the quotes and asbestos fud.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Who's going to be doing the reporting, and where this asbestos in our kitchens? I just bought one of those double sockets with a USB connector built in,; presumably I'll need to pay an electrician 500 to change it?

Maybe start a Facebook campaign to ban DIY.

At first, those who suggest that it is OK to remove gas oven or hob without a RGI plumber. Tell me how your heating will work without gas switched back on and how will you check for leaks and make sure that stop valve is working 100%
    Next, how do you make sure that socket is connected properly and no loose connections, wrong wires etc? What if your loose connection causes fire how much are you ready to loose in it? Changing face of the socket maybe a small job, but what condition is the wires?
    I don't mind DIY, but there's certain things that can be dangerous if done wrong. Are you ready to take a chance?
    I rarely seen any good DIY project done without any qualified professional.
    Sometimes spending extra 1k can make a lot of difference and you are getting liability insurance cover as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

At first, those who suggest that it is OK to remove gas oven or hob without a RGI plumber. Tell me how your heating will work without gas switched back on and how will you check for leaks and make sure that stop valve is working 100%
    Next, how do you make sure that socket is connected properly and no loose connections, wrong wires etc? What if your loose connection causes fire how much are you ready to loose in it? Changing face of the socket maybe a small job, but what condition is the wires?
    I don't mind DIY, but there's certain things that can be dangerous if done wrong. Are you ready to take a chance?
    I rarely seen any good DIY project done without any qualified professional.
    Sometimes spending extra 1k can make a lot of difference and you are getting liability insurance cover as well.

Nobody suggested going near the gas. An entire kitchen can be removed without interfering with a gas appliance. And afaik, it’s quite alright to move/replace sockets as long as nothing is being done with the fusebox. I’ve seen some crappy DIY too...but I have also seen some crappy “professional” jobs too.

The OP and his Dad can remove the existing kitchen and leave the gas oven/hob in situ for the RGI plumber. Unless they are adding new circuits, an electrician is not necessary....but that obviously depends on the competency of the OP and his Dad and whether they are willing to do the work.

goz83 wrote: »
    Nobody suggested going near the gas. An entire kitchen can be removed without interfering with a gas appliance. And afaik, it’s quite alright to move/replace sockets as long as nothing is being done with the fusebox. I’ve seen some crappy DIY too...but I have also seen some crappy “professional” jobs too.

The OP and his Dad can remove the existing kitchen and leave the gas oven/hob in situ for the RGI plumber. Unless they are adding new circuits, an electrician is not necessary....but that obviously depends on the competency of the OP and his Dad and whether they are willing to do the work.
    You must be from Eastern Europe In Ireland it is not allowed to do any electrical works if you're not qualified electrician.
    Crap work from professionals? I don't think everyone calling them self professional have qualification to prove it.
    Kitchen removal can be done by anyone, but gas and electricity must be done by registered people.

You must be from Eastern Europe In Ireland it is not allowed to do any electrical works if you're not qualified electrician.
    Crap work from professionals? I don't think everyone calling them self professional have qualification to prove it.
    Kitchen removal can be done by anyone, but gas and electricity must be done by registered people.

He's allowed turn off the electricity remove and put back on a socket or switch. Can you show in legislation where he's not.
    He's also allowed disconnect his cooker if he wants, again show where he's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

That comment comes across a bit racist. Are the Eastern Europeans taking your jobs away or something? In any case, you ought to know that the works I suggested do not need an electrician.

The HSA says “Like for like” replacements of switches, sockets, lighting fittings and/or additions to an existing circuit is frequently carried out in this country. While this must also be in compliance with the Technical Rules, these types of electrical works sit outside the Defined Scope of Controlled Works or Restricted Works. My Bolding.

I am happy to concede on that if you show my legislation which states otherwise.

Yep, crap work from professionals and with certification. I used to do a few insurance jobs and on a few occasions, we had to completely redo the work others botched up. Although admittedly, none of these were gas, or electrically related.

I agree that gas must be done by an RGI plumber, but a lot of minor electrical work can be done without an electrician.

• Advertisement

goz83 wrote: »
    That comment comes across a bit racist. Are the Eastern Europeans taking your jobs away or something? In any case, you ought to know that the works I suggested do not need an electrician.

The HSA says “Like for like” replacements of switches, sockets, lighting fittings and/or additions to an existing circuit is frequently carried out in this country. While this must also be in compliance with the Technical Rules, these types of electrical works sit outside the Defined Scope of Controlled Works or Restricted Works. My Bolding.

I am happy to concede on that if you show my legislation which states otherwise.

Yep, crap work from professionals and with certification. I used to do a few insurance jobs and on a few occasions, we had to completely redo the work others botched up. Although admittedly, none of these were gas, or electrically related.

I agree that gas must be done by an RGI plumber, but a lot of minor electrical work can be done without an electrician.

At first, my remarks about Eastern Europeans was because in these countries these things are poorly regulated and electrical sockets are allowed in bathrooms as well.
    Secondly, 9 times out of 10 when removing old sockets there's an issues with old or non compliant wiring. Only if that kitchen was fitted less than 5 years ago. So only changing the face of socket most of the times didn't work.
    Certified works don't mean that they are done by qualified professionals as certification and qualification are not related in most building trades except GAS and electrics.
    But If you consider your self qualified to do all works go ahead. Insurance companies may have different opinion.

Advertisement