Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes for kitchen removal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

At first, my remarks about Eastern Europeans was because in these countries these things are poorly regulated and electrical sockets are allowed in bathrooms as well.

I am not at all familiar with regulations outside of Ireland and I am only vaguely familiar with our regs. We are only allowed sockets designed for shavers, but I at the same time, I haven't heard of any Eastern Europeans installing standard sockets into our bathrooms....but maybe they have???
    Secondly, 9 times out of 10 when removing old sockets there's an issues with old or non compliant wiring. Only if that kitchen was fitted less than 5 years ago. So only changing the face of socket most of the times didn't work.

I am not aware of any requirement to upgrade non-compliant wiring which was compliant at the time of installation. And so by replacing the socket, or extending/moving that same circuit, it is "like for like" and would be perfectly acceptable for a competent DIYer to do the work. Otherwise anyone changing a socket would need to shell out a couple hundred euro for a socket replacement.
    Certified works don't mean that they are done by qualified professionals as certification and qualification are not related in most building trades except GAS and electrics. But If you consider your self qualified to do all works go ahead. Insurance companies may have different opinion.

I'm not the OP, so I won't be doing the works. But I do consider myself capable of moving a few sockets or lights if and when I need to, without breaking any laws. I draw the line for anything beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JohnWicklow

Hi there, I'm doing the same job at the moment - but I'm delaying on pulling the sink out. There is no isolation taps so I am assuming i'll have to switch off the rising main, then switch off the warm water supply in the hotpress and drain the taps before pulling out the sink ie: I'll have no water until the new sink is plumbed - does that seem right to you? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi there, I'm doing the same job at the moment - but I'm delaying on pulling the sink out. There is no isolation taps so I am assuming i'll have to switch off the rising main, then switch off the warm water supply in the hotpress and drain the taps before pulling out the sink ie: I'll have no water until the new sink is plumbed - does that seem right to you? Thanks

There should be a stopcock under the sink for the incoming water, if there isn't now is your time to fit one. Yes normally in the hotpress or at the attic tank you can turn off the hot water supply.

If your new sink in the same location as the old? I would turn of the water supplies and fit penny valves on both pipes so you can remove / refit the sink easily. I would leave the old sink in place as long as possible. Just remove it the morning they are coming with the new kitchen. Once the penny valves are in place it will be quick to re-fit even a temp sink.

Advertisement