Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consturction/Civil Engineer work in Australia

• 05-04-2018 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

can anyone give me advice on working in Australia as an engineer. The Working Holiday visa is primarily for seeing the country and doing a bit of work. However you can only work with one employer for 6 months. I know there is a skilled working visa but pricey.

Does anyone have experience in getting a construction company to sponsor you? Are they willing?

I have applied for loads of jobs hoping to line something up before I go but no luck.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Greengekko

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Bobjims

Greengekko wrote: »
    Bump

Hi Greengekko,

I'm working in Australia at the moment. I arrived on a WHV last year and started working as an engineer in the construction industry. My employer went ahead with sponsorship before I hit the 6 month limitation on the WHV. The 457 visa was granted within 3 months and I also got an exemption to the 6 month limit while this application was processing. As far as I know, the 457 has been abolished so I was lucky with my timing. I think it has been replaced with a similar visa anyway though.

My employer saw a benefit in sponsorship as it means that I must work for them while on this visa so there's a lower risk of me leaving for a competitor.
    The labour market for engineers in Australia is very competitive among employers. People are always getting poached between the various large infrastructure projects ongoing in Sydney and Melbourne.

Feel free to PM me if you want any specific advice.

Cheers

Advertisement