Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing of wetsuits in an indoor pool

Options
  • 05-04-2018 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Have many people wore their wetsuits in a pool?
    Seen something in a race simulation plan where it recommended wearing wetsuit for a race specific set.
    Do pools even allow it? I'd imagine over heating could be an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Have many people wore their wetsuits in a pool?
    Seen something in a race simulation plan where it recommended wearing wetsuit for a race specific set.
    Do pools even allow it? I'd imagine over heating could be an issue.

I've done it numerous time and yes, overheating is always an issue. It's even worse in a latex swimming cap. But then, there's nothing wrong with stressing your body in training. So go for it, would be my advice.

I can't see why it would be an issue, but just check with the lifeguards first if you're in any doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

zico10 wrote: »
    I've done it numerous time and yes, overheating is always an issue. It's even worse in a latex swimming cap. But then, there's nothing wrong with stressing your body in training. So go for it, would be my advice.

I can't see why it would be an issue, but just check with the lifeguards first if you're in any doubt.

Overheating an issue for sure but you'd also need to be in a lane on your own because you'd be lapping most other swimmers due to the added buoyancy. Not really sure I see any benefit to it to be honest While a pool swim is probably most similar to a fresh water later lake swim I dont see how donning a wetsuit indoors can help prepare. surely the more you practise without a wetsuit, the better you'll be with the wetsuit on when you have to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Chlorine can ruin your suit...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

my local pool is cool with it, it's a warm pool though so you do overheat pretty quickly. pretty sure UL 50m is okay with it as well from what i recall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

shakencat wrote:
    Chlorine can ruin your suit...

Yeah, isn't it really bad for your wetsuit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Met lads up at the NAC in suits. They were doing an iron man maybe a couple of weeks away. It did look funny do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

panda100 wrote: »
    Yeah, isn't it really bad for your wetsuit?

i have an 80 euro training wetsuit and its ok with 2 o3 pool swim a year for last 4 years (cheaper wetsuits have stronger and thicker neoprene)
    would not really use it in 25 m pool unles i had to as the turns can put stess on the suit ( i wear my suits quit tight fitting so if its loser less of an issue )

key is to clean it well after the swim

TriFirst wrote: »
    Overheating an issue for sure but you'd also need to be in a lane on your own because you'd be lapping most other swimmers due to the added buoyancy. Not really sure I see any benefit to it to be honest While a pool swim is probably most similar to a fresh water later lake swim I dont see how donning a wetsuit indoors can help prepare. surely the more you practise without a wetsuit, the better you'll be with the wetsuit on when you have to use it.

intersting logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

What's the benefit? I can see wearing one in a pool to check size or correct fit, otherwise about as useful as a helmet on the turbo. The main purpose for wetsuits is negated by the pool heater, secondary purpose can be simulated using pb, third purpose simulated by water wings and the shallow end.

Turning would be a pain.

Never tried it myself and maybe I'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Main reason I have seen it used by clubs has been to get a chance to practice transitions to be honest.

As Kurt mentioned checking the fit could be useful too and seeing how it fits when wet, perhaps getting used to the potential restrictions added by an ill fitting suit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    Turning would be a pain.
    Why so? I trained in an unheated outdoor pool in Portugal in a wetsuit and I noticed no discernible difference in effort to turn.

there is many reasons why you could do it

some people might struggle for open water access.
    it can be a good way to train for im that might be close to no wetsuit cut off.
    it gives you a good chance to time 3.8
    it gives a a good idea aobut your pacing during 3,8
    it could often be to cold for a skinny triathlet do swim 3.8 k in open water
    its a consitent medium and if you swam last year 55 and this year 53 its gives you an indication with less varaialbe were you are ( ie current waves differetn water temp etc etc.
    it gives direct feedack if you makes changes to kick etc etc in suit if it works or not. or how you put a wetsuit on .
    you can test different suits and see whats faster
    its definitely very worthwile to swim in your suit before a race wheather this is pool etc is not the key but being used to swim in wetsuit is certainly useful .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭griffin100

fletch wrote: »
    Why so? I trained in an unheated outdoor pool in Portugal in a wetsuit and I noticed no discernible difference in effort to turn.

Would trying to get your extra buoyant torso under the water for tumble turns not be very difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭fletch

griffin100 wrote: »
    Would trying to get your extra buoyant torso under the water for tumble turns not be very difficult?
    If you do tumble turns maybe...I don't....I actually found turning easier as I was floating

griffin100 wrote: »
    no

peter kern wrote: »

Thats a good point- I swam in lake Geneva that was borderline cut-off temps and was nearly boiled alive. Acclimatizing in a pool beforehand would have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

peter kern wrote: »
    there is many reasons why you could do it

some people might struggle for open water access.
    it gives you a good chance to time 3.8
    it gives a a good idea aobut your pacing during 3,8
    it could often be to cold for a skinny triathlet do swim 3.8 k in open water
    its a consitent medium and if you swam last year 55 and this year 53 its gives you an indication with less varaialbe were you are ( ie current waves differetn water temp etc etc.
    it gives direct feedack if you makes changes to kick etc etc in suit if it works or not. or how you put a wetsuit on .
    you can test different suits and see whats faster
    its definitely very worthwile to swim in your suit before a race wheather this is pool etc is not the key but being used to swim in wetsuit is certainly useful .

Plus it can be bloody hard, and that's sometimes as good a reason as any for doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Kurt.Godel wrote: »
    What's the benefit?

So you can tell people you are a triathlete when they ask what you are doing. Obviously.

tunney wrote: »
    So you can tell people you are a triathlete when they ask what you are doing. Obviously.

most half serious swimmer look down on you anyways if you were a wetsuit. and everybody at this stage knows an overweight guy that did and IM in 15 hours , so you are defo not the cool kid.

but i guess if you ever use a tt bike before a race you would want to use a wetsuit before a tri.
    its a bit uncanny how many people complain about lower back pain after the ironman swim ... its very similar if people complain aobut neck pain on tri bike ( not enough adaption)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Whatever about training, what about wearing a wetsuit in a pool triathlon? I'm doing Joey Hannon with a 700m pool swim in UL. I'm only an average swimmer. Is it worth my while wearing the suit? Do people wear a suit for an indoor tri swim usually??

Edit: actually I think wetsuits are not allowed? The race page doesn't explicitly say it, is that correct? I've only done outdoor tris before.

• Advertisement

pc11 wrote: »
    Whatever about training, what about wearing a wetsuit in a pool triathlon? I'm doing Joey Hannon with a 700m pool swim in UL. I'm only an average swimmer. Is it worth my while wearing the suit? Do people wear a suit for an indoor tri swim usually??

Edit: actually I think wetsuits are not allowed? The race page doesn't explicitly say it, is that correct? I've only done outdoor tris before.

No buoyancy aids allowed in pool tris, so you can't wear a wetsuit.

Advertisement