Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Eric Bristow

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭webpal

Met him in rosslare years ago and he wouldn't sign an autograph until he got my name and had a chat first. Great memories from the 80's also. RIP and was a pleasure to meet you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Anyone else think the Sky coverage was a bit crass? It happened there tonight, just a while ago and they have Deller on the stage and his pic up on the screen.
    Seemed a bit off to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Sid Waddell, darts' ultimate lyricist, summed up best why a simple pub game was so invigorated by one man: 'Eric showed that darts could be theatre and poetry and how far the anger of losing could be taken...He glowed with the arrogance of a cockney wideboy and he could psych out anybody.'

Eric Bristow is the reason I fell in love with darts in the late 70’s....RIP ‘The Crafty Cockney’

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Horrible to hear this.

The original darting superstar.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Terrible news, a legend of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

R.I.P Eric one af the all time greats of the game and bows out at treble 20

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

RIP Eric- a true darts legend. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jesus, he looked rough. R.I.P. Gutted. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Sad news about a great player from an era of some real characters in the game. He loved winding people up lots watched him play wanting him to lose while others willed him on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Sad news about a great player from an era of some real characters in the game. He loved winding people up lots watched him play wanting him to lose while others willed him on.

Darts was always on in our house as a child(we actually had a dartboard in our kitchen nailed to the back of the door that my Da “brought home” from the social club ) and our kitchen walls and doors were covered in holes as we weren’t very good darts players. We had many family evenings playing darts, which usually ended in a row that someone cheated somewhere along the line.

Eric was the younger more handsome newcomer, and we were always up for John Lowe as my Dad said Eric was an arragont sod(more colorful language). Eric Bristow was the one you loved to hate. But we were glued to it.

Tomorrow I’ll visit my Da in his care home and I’ll tell him Eric Bristow died. He wont remember what he had for his breakfast, but he’ll remember and talk about those days when Ma went mad that someones miss throw punctured the new psycahedlic wallpaper(always seconds that never matched).

Who knew they were the good times?

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Peter C

RIP Eric

Another sporting hero gone this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Arsenium

RIP to an inspiration and a legend.

Fond memories of him in an exhibition beating one of our lads on double 18. The funny thing about it was he hit the double while kneeling down !

As Sid Wadell once said..."he's crafty, he's cockney, he's got style....Oh Bristow!!! "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

RIP a legend, can remember sitting with my grandad watching him play, sad both are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Darts wouldn't be what it is today without people like Eric Bristow.

Loved his brutal honesty, guy held nothing back, he never sugarcoated things.

Also his unwavering confidence, bottle and winners attitude. There was only first and last to Eric, no in between. That's why his battles with dartitis when he was at the peak of his game must have crushed him personally.

There will never be anyone like him again. He'll be sorely missed in the world of darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

anewme wrote: »
    Darts was always on in our house as a child(we actually had a dartboard in our kitchen nailed to the back of the door that my Da “brought home” from the social club ) and our kitchen walls and doors were covered in holes as we weren’t very good darts players. We had many family evenings playing darts, which usually ended in a row that someone cheated somewhere along the line.

Eric was the younger more handsome newcomer, and we were always up for John Lowe as my Dad said Eric was an arragont sod(more colorful language). Eric Bristow was the one you loved to hate. But we were glued to it.

Tomorrow I’ll visit my Da in his care home and I’ll tell him Eric Bristow died. He wont remember what he had for his breakfast, but he’ll remember and talk about those days when Ma went mad that someones miss throw punctured the new psycahedlic wallpaper(always seconds that never matched).

Who knew they were the good times?

RIP.

Great post. Reminds me of my own mother who wouldn't let my bother and me put a dart board in the house for fear of damaging the wallpaper. So we had to put one in the garage instead. Of course we'd out there in the depths of winter after watching the Eric and Jocky on the TV and it would be absolutely Baltic. There was a gas stove in the garage and we used to light up one quadrant. I'd warm my hands when my bro was throwing and he'd warm his when I was throwing. You could see your breath. We'd spend hours out there. They were great days.

Funny thing about it was . . . I built my own house in the last 5 years and put a dart board in the house. My mother comes down to visit and starts throwing darts at the board. I had to tell her off as some weren't going into the board. I had to break out the pollfilla.

RIP Eric. Thanks for the memories

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

His funeral is at 3:30pm today. I would imagine there will be a huge turnout for it.

Advertisement