Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best fertiliser for beech hedging?

Options
  • 05-04-2018 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I have what seems to be quite a slow growing beech hedge (only have this garden over a year) It didn’t grow very much last year so I’m worried that it will be the same this year.
    I’m thinking of raking some chicken manure on it.... or maybe I need something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Would like to know this too. My landscaper was recommending 10-10-20 but if manure was enough I'd be happy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my first question would be what the existing soil is like. my understanding is that generally hedging needs care, not fertilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

How much do you want your hedge to grow? How old are the hedge plants now? For many people their established hedge needs trimming a couple of times a year to keep it at the size they want. Is the base of the hedge chocked with competing grass and weeds? From my experience an established hedge should not need much fertiliser as the roots go deep into the soil and find nutrients there without any extra needing to be added. A picture might help to assess your situation but a slow growing hedge would be something a lot of people would prefer as it takes less work to keep to a manageable size. Unless you are getting machinery to trim it many try to keep a hedge at a height they can manage without too much climbing. If anything fertiliser might make the situation worse by promoting the competing grass and weeds which get more of their nutrients from near the surface of the soil.

Advertisement