Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - BusConnects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

A number of consultants appointed accross 4 lots to carry out engineering works of the various routes

Did Roughan O'Donovan-Aecom get any of them? They've done the Liffey Cycle Route and Clontarf-City Centre cycle route both of which are great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

A number of consultants appointed accross 4 lots to carry out engineering works of the various routes

Time to start polishing my CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

A BusConnects CBC meeting video is up on Youtube.

A BusConnects CBC meeting video is up on Youtube.

Thanks for posting this. Watching it, it really comes across how far behind the South Dublin, NIMBYs etc are. So many questions here from councilors, candidates etc about cycling, pedestrian movements, how we can make this work for everyone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭specialbyte

Deadline for submission on Phase 2 Core Bus Corridors is today (Tuesday 30th April). You have until midnight to provide feedback on the routes from Liffey Valley, Clondalkin, Greenhills, Tallaght, Kimmage, and Rathfarnham to the city centre.

If you don't make a submission to the NTA on this project then don't start complaining that:
    * it got cancelled because everyone 'objected'
    * they didn't change something you want them to change

Providing feedback to the NTA through a quick submission only takes 2 minutes.

I see that Dublin Cycling Campaign have posted all of their submissions on their website here. A few interesting key points for any of you who cycle (or wish you could if it was safer): https://www.dublincycling.com/cycling/busconnects-core-bus-corridors-overview

• Advertisement

I do remember this time last year all of us here thought it was going to be cancelled outright, I think we're all still scared of a recession but I almost everyone everywhere thinks this will get over the line now - which really is a testament to the NTA even though they completely messed up communications on the first consultation.

For BusConnects I'm not as angry or worried about the complaints because the NTA have stated that it's 16 separate applications to An Bord Pleanála - so Rathgar complaining won't kill the entire project, it'll only ensure that Rathgar's bus services remain terrible. Very sad for those on that corridor and everyone in Tallaght, but at least a few people worried about "vibrations from high-speed trains" in Ranelagh pretending that they care about Dunville Avenue won't kill a multi-billion euro project like what I feared with MetroLink. I've also looked at the South West proposals and they're fairly uninspiring anyway, particularly for cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

MJohnston wrote: »
    Not really comparable. The water meters were and are a recoverable cost for any future retry of the Irish Water fiasco, whereas once Metrolink starts, the sunk costs would be huge and not recoverable.

Well yeah but we were more talking bus connects which isn’t one continuous job, it will be a series of smaller works in front of peoples houses. Anyway it’s OT here but I see it being a huge political issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Dats me wrote: »
    I do remember this time last year all of us here thought it was going to be cancelled outright, I think we're all still scared of a recession but I almost everyone everywhere thinks this will get over the line now - which really is a testament to the NTA even though they completely messed up communications on the first consultation.

For BusConnects I'm not as angry or worried about the complaints because the NTA have stated that it's 16 separate applications to An Bord Pleanála - so Rathgar complaining won't kill the entire project, it'll only ensure that Rathgar's bus services remain terrible. Very sad for those on that corridor and everyone in Tallaght, but at least a few people worried about "vibrations from high-speed trains" in Ranelagh pretending that they care about Dunville Avenue won't kill a multi-billion euro project like what I feared with MetroLink. I've also looked at the South West proposals and they're fairly uninspiring anyway, particularly for cyclists

Thankfully most of tallaght tends to go into town via the Luas or the Crumlin buses, the Greenhills route is a lot more congested than people think!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

salmocab wrote: »
    Metrolink will be a doddle compared to what’s coming in busconnects. If you thought the people of Ranelagh made a noise bus connects will show us all another level
    Went to a new-ish restaurant in Stoneybatter last week and there were a bunch of signs up in various windows objecting to the changes in the area from BusConnects - can only imagine there are groups in various areas who will be hard hit by the project objecting, not just Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

If you don't make a submission to the NTA on this project then don't start complaining that:
    * it got cancelled because everyone 'objected'
    * they didn't change something you want them to change

What is the statutory basis for this ? Is it an ABP submission or what , or is it an informal consultation . Since so far it has been invisible but what you hear on this forum or locally in Harolds X folks I know.

ABP submissions I know about and have legal basis. Does this, and if so, what ? Where for example, do I drop 50 euro in to object, and so forth ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

Went to a new-ish restaurant in Stoneybatter last week and there were a bunch of signs up in various windows objecting to the changes in the area from BusConnects - can only imagine there are groups in various areas who will be hard hit by the project objecting, not just Ranelagh.

There don't seem to be front gardens to the houses, so possible changes would be rerouting, creating one-way streets etc. would that be it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Is the whole proposed network being redesigned or just tweaked at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Is the whole proposed network being redesigned or just tweaked at the moment?

whole network will be gone and replaced with a new network next year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They should introduce the 90 min fare, and introduce a few core routes. When they show reliability and frequency, they can then introduce a few more. Doing a big bang approach will be horrific.

cgcsb wrote: »

No I’m aware of the bus connects plan overall I just had it in my head that after the public consultation I heard something about a fair bit of what was released is getting changed again? I might be mistaken on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

They should introduce the 90 min fare, and introduce a few core routes. When they show reliability and frequency, they can then introduce a few more. Doing a big bang approach will be horrific.

The plan is an all or nothing plan . You can't have a plan built with high frequency interchanges when your're interchange bus is in phase x.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Anyone have a rough timeline for the Bus Connects Project to be in place? I think I read somewhere it would take several years or something.

Anyone have a rough timeline for the Bus Connects Project to be in place? I think I read somewhere it would take several years or something.

It depends if you mean the routes or the infrastructure . The routes 2020 , the infrastructure phased over the next 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It depends if you mean the routes or the infrastructure . The routes 2020 , the infrastructure phased over the next 8 years.

Thanks! Do you mean that the routes will be decided upon (subject to objections), and then the actual implementation of the plan i.e. building infrastructure etc. will take 8 years :eek:

Thanks! Do you mean that the routes will be decided upon (subject to objections), and then the actual implementation of the plan i.e. building infrastructure etc. will take 8 years :eek:

The plan has been split into 2 the infrastructure and routes. The routes will be decided and implemented before the infrastructure. The infrastructure will be on going

• Advertisement

Yeah pretty much, the network overall will improve things overall even without the infrastructure works though, especially for those who had to get a bus to towns and another from there out to their destination. Orbital routes are vastly improved

Yeah pretty much, the network overall will improve things overall even without the infrastructure works though, especially for those who had to get a bus to towns and another from there out to their destination. Orbital routes are vastly improved

That and the 90 minute fare.

It's an interesting question because actually the new network depends on new roads in places.

That and the 90 minute fare.

90 minute flat fare covers dart and commuter rail too correct?

Another key question is when we can expect a reliable 24hr service on the main routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cgcsb wrote: »

Firstly, I think you’re being very optimistic.

I really doubt you’ll see a new network until 2021, once the feedback from the second consultation has been processed, and a final revised network developed.

Drawing up new schedules in detail, and then developing the rosters for them (bus and staff) is all going to take time after that.

I also suspect that whatever revised network plan comes back this time around will be significantly different to the original, given the significant shortcomings in that plan and the significant frequency changes that have taken place since that plan was published.

I also suspect that the scale of changes will be far less radical than before, with the main emphasis on expanding the orbital network. The Taoiseach’s own intervention in the Dáil put pay to the more radical ideas.

Implementing a network that relies on people changing to get to and from the city (where they already have direct services) isn’t going to work without the infrastructure being in place beforehand - if they press ahead with that notion then the plan will be doomed in my opinion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just to clarify, there's some infrastructure proposals included in the route redesign. Nothing on the scale of the core corridors project, but stuff like the hubs, bus stop relocations, etc, will all be done as part of the route reorg.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just to clarify, there's some infrastructure proposals included in the route redesign. Nothing on the scale of the core corridors project, but stuff like the hubs, bus stop relocations, etc, will all be done as part of the route reorg.

I’m not referring to that, but if I’m honest I won’t hold my breath on those either.

I’m referring to putting the infrastructure in place along the corridors (and indeed orbital corridors too).

Unless reliable and consistent journey times can be delivered then the notion of transferring (particularly where direct services currently exist) is not going to happen.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

90 minute flat fare covers dart and commuter rail too correct?

Yes.

It is also looking like we will get new (faster) ticket machines and next gen Leap ticketing (support to use Contactless debit/credit cards, pay with iPhone, Apple Watch, Andord, etc.) in the next year.

If we also get 24/7 services, we might finally have a relatively modern bus service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It will be done in stages I would imagine so all going well we'd likely see some of the benefits before then but it would be 2027 before it's fully complete. But even after that and the completion of the Metro I would hope the public transport continues to improve to keep up with the needs of commuters.

Advertisement