Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - BusConnects

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

cgcsb wrote: »
    What?

Is that some snippy thing or a genuine what?

If it's genuine, because people who had direct buses before don't have them under this. It's all good on paper or on a Tuesday afternoon but I don't want to get off a bus in Blanchardstown late at night to get another one home. Going from direct buses to having to change between two is no "improvement" anyway, and a few minutes over safety doesn't make it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

If it's genuine, because people who had direct buses before don't have them under this. It's all good on paper or on a Tuesday afternoon but I don't want to get off a bus in Blanchardstown late at night to get another one home. Going from direct buses to having to change between two is no "improvement" anyway, and a few minutes over safety doesn't make it better.

Not everyone has to change though, you might find it an inconvenience but it’ll improve the services for many others. You seem to be stuck in a mindset of x location in Blanchardstown can no longer get to an lar in one go and this is attitude which destroyed the plan. Not enough people had a look to see how many more new locations can be reached within a reasonable time. Building an integrated network rather then a long list of individual meandering corridors is the ultimate solution considering rail services in the capital will in the short and medium term not serve the vast majority of its population.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's a what because we've been over this a thousand times on boards:

-In Blanch the direct to city centre routes that will be replaced by a much more frequent feeder service are: the 38/a to Damastown Industrial estate (where would you be going at night?) Replaced by the much more frequent 263 and 261. And the 70 to Dunboyne, which will have a more frequent feeder bus and a more frequent rail service.
    -Why would you think there are security concerns?
    -The solution to anti-social behavior is not to have a more inefficient bus service, it's to make the courts impose meaningful penalties, starting with the parent's social welfare payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

I would suggest that the people who support the idea of these “hubs” have a read of the research of Hine + Scott which found that while people say they want quicker journey times, in reality they will take a longer journey if it avoids interchange. Interestingly, this paper is mentioned in the Busconnects literature and they immediately try to discredit it by talking about the quality of the interchange (not a factor based on the research).

To be clear I am in favour of improved public transport but there are so many flaws with Busconnects it’s becoming hard to support.

No one is denying that there are benefits to the proposals and many people (including myself) will benefit from the new network but the logic of interchanging is flawed. No one has explained why they can’t run buss direct through the hubs to the city centre, thereby increasing the frequency between for example blanch and city centre and also avoiding the need to interchange. The proposed bus routes in this specific area are over complex and could easily be rationalised to provide a better service.
    Examples include a bus gate at little pace to run services from Dunboyne to blanch via little pace without the long detour.
    Or the combination of the route 36 and 35.

On some of the other corridors, the NTAs own research has found that the demand numbers are greater than a CBC yet they are proposing a CBC. Lucan and UCD are prime examples where it would be far more beneficial and not that much more expensive to build light rail.

There are also areas where a lack of local knowledge is evident.
    Examples include the S4 which will not be able to pass through UCD at certain times, the one way bridge at Broomsbridge, and the use of Seán Heuston bridge on the O route.

While you may say I’m being pedantic here, these are just the errors I have noticed and I’m sure there are many more.

When it first came out, I was 100% behind this project and yawned at the typical NIMBY attitude but the more I’ve looked at the details, the more I lean against it. This is not the kind of investment that Dublin needs to make in its public transport and would appear to be a refusal by the government to properly invest although ironically Busconnects will work out more expensive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The problem is not with the journey from home (remote with infrequent bus) to An Lar, it is the return home with very frequent buses to hub, then an indeterminate (and what feals an unending) wait for the infrequent bus to home.

If a good system of integrating the outbound bus with the final run existed, then I think this might be better. For example, on the outbound bus - 'This bus connects with Route XX from hub' and the Route XX waits for that service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

The problem is not with the journey from home (remote with infrequent bus) to An Lar, it is the return home with very frequent buses to hub, then an indeterminate (and what feals an unending) wait for the infrequent bus to home.

If a good system of integrating the outbound bus with the final run existed, then I think this might be better. For example, on the outbound bus - 'This bus connects with Route XX from hub' and the Route XX waits for that service.

Yes good timing from hubs is essential, like the Saggart-Belgard luas waiting for a Tallaght bound tram at Belgard before pulling away

Yes we know that interchange is a disadvantage, the modelling applies an interchange penalty when estimating the mode choice. The modelling shows that it ends up with more people walking and cycling over choosing to take the bus if the second leg of the trip is short

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Last Stop wrote: »
    No one is denying that there are benefits to the proposals and many people (including myself) will benefit from the new network but the logic of interchanging is flawed. No one has explained why they can’t run buss direct through the hubs to the city centre, thereby increasing the frequency between for example blanch and city centre and also avoiding the need to interchange. The proposed bus routes in this specific area are over complex and could easily be rationalised to provide a better service.
    Examples include a bus gate at little pace to run services from Dunboyne to blanch via little pace without the long detour.
    Or the combination of the route 36 and 35.

They did explain it though, it was the only efficient way of improving the frequency on those routes.
    On some of the other corridors, the NTAs own research has found that the demand numbers are greater than a CBC yet they are proposing a CBC. Lucan and UCD are prime examples where it would be far more beneficial and not that much more expensive to build light rail.

They plan on sending a Luas out to Lucan eventually, but BusConnects is also needed, even if the Luas was going ahead right now. A case in point of this is the Ballymun - Glasnevin route into Dublin getting both the Metrolink and also a Core Corridor.
    There are also areas where a lack of local knowledge is evident.
    Examples include the S4 which will not be able to pass through UCD at certain times, the one way bridge at Broomsbridge, and the use of Seán Heuston bridge on the O route.

While you may say I’m being pedantic here, these are just the errors I have noticed and I’m sure there are many more.

This is literally why they released it for public consultation, and said that it's not perfect or final, and that it needs work. Look at the consultation for Metrolink as an example of what they do, they took the complaints and made a much better plan (although shearing off the southside is extremely debatable) for the second consultation, I'd expect the same for the next release of the BusConnects plan later this year.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Yes we know that interchange is a disadvantage, the modelling applies an interchange penalty when estimating the mode choice. The modelling shows that it ends up with more people walking and cycling over choosing to take the bus if the second leg of the trip is short

You see that’s my point. Busconnects interchange modelling goes back to the traditional approach to overcoming the interchange penalty and does not consider Hine + Scott findings.
    By the traditional approach I mean the simplistic one in that if we improve journey times and remove the financial penalty everything will be perfect. That’s been proven not to work.

CatInABox wrote: »
    They did explain it though, it was the only efficient way of improving the frequency on those routes.

They plan on sending a Luas out to Lucan eventually, but BusConnects is also needed, even if the Luas was going ahead right now. A case in point of this is the Ballymun - Glasnevin route into Dublin getting both the Metrolink and also a Core Corridor.

This is literally why they released it for public consultation, and said that it's not perfect or final, and that it needs work. Look at the consultation for Metrolink as an example of what they do, they took the complaints and made a much better plan (although shearing off the southside is extremely debatable) for the second consultation, I'd expect the same for the next release of the BusConnects plan later this year.

Splitting the core corridors after would be more efficient as it removes the need to interchange.

The plan for Lucan Luas is before 2035 and metro is for 2027. Busconnects is due for construction between 2021 and 2027. In the case of Lucan and I’m talking more about the CBC infrastructure here, assuming a 4 year construction programme, the CBC would be in place for a maximum of 8 years before being dug up again. This assumes Lucan Luas is delivered in 2035 and not earlier. Plus you have the costs of the CBC first and then Luas where it would be cheaper to build a Luas now or even 5 years time.
    It’s extremely questionable why they are providing a CBC running parallel to a 20,000 passenger per hour metro. This is madness from both an infrastructure and a service point of view. Remember that Busconnects routes were planned based on 2018 infrastructure only plus 10 minute DARTs.

Point taken about the public consultation but if it’s anything like the Metrolink one and the rumours going about, a phased approach will be taken to the route changes which is even crazier as Jarrett Walker has said its easier to do it in one go.

While I do understand what you’re saying and your support of the project, I’m being more convinced that we are being hoodwinked here instead of proper investment in public transport

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Splitting the core corridors after would be more efficient as it removes the need to interchange.

This is how the core corridors work no? At the end of the core A route the A1 goes one way, the A2 another etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Podge_irl wrote: »
    This is how the core corridors work no? At the end of the core A route the A1 goes one way, the A2 another etc.

Exactly, I can’t remember where I saw it, but I believe only 8% of customers or so would need to change buses to get to the City Centre. Those whose local route will be replaced by a local bus may even opt just to walk/travel to the nearest spine route. Obviously that is very circumstantial but if you’re one or two stops off a spine route, it’s fairly likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

also the Xpresso routes will still be there providing direct services in peak hours.

Qrt wrote: »
    Exactly, I can’t remember where I saw it, but I believe only 8% of customers or so would need to change buses to get to the City Centre. Those whose local route will be replaced by a local bus may even opt just to walk/travel to the nearest spine route. Obviously that is very circumstantial but if you’re one or two stops off a spine route, it’s fairly likely.

8% so 1 in 12 will have to change to get to the city centre. Anywhere to the city centre is the most basic type of routes so based on this, the proposed network is very inefficient.

I’m well aware that not every journey can be made without interchange but interchanging should be avoided where possible. The research backs this up, and other research goes even further to say that if a journey involves 2 or more changes, it is assumed that a passenger will take a different mode (usually the private car).

What’s even more worrying about the 8% is that the main focus of the network is on the radial routes. No investment is being made in orbital corridors when this is where Dublin really struggles. This is the reason that Go Ahead were given all the orbital routes.

Like I said, I’m supportive of public transport investment but Dublin has the potential to create one of the best transport networks in the world for a similar price to what is being spent on Busconnects.

The NTA are trying to do with buses what no other first world country in the world would even attempt. I challenge anyone to show me a city where there is continuous bus lanes along 16 corridors and only 7 rail corridors.
    The reality is that bus are all well and good and often carry the most passengers in a city but they are inefficient on high capacity corridors.

Investment in Luas to UCD, Lucan and Knocklyon as a first step with future lines to Clongriffin and metro west as a Luas line extended to tie in with Luas at Sandyford would make for a very efficient core network. Then and only then could you look at filling the gaps with bus corridors.

Investment in Luas to UCD, Lucan and Knocklyon as a first step with future lines to Clongriffin and metro west as a Luas line extended to tie in with Luas at Sandyford would make for a very efficient core network. Then and only then could you look at filling the gaps with bus corridors.

I’ve never been keen on a Luas to UCD, purely because it’s comparatively dead for four months of the year. Luas to Lucan is debatable for me tbh, if they build it like the way it was originally envisaged, then it will be a horrific waste of money due to meandering and plethora of street interactions - and that’s before you consider It’s impacts on the current Red Line. Much of Lucan will come under DART catchment once the expansion is completed too.

The Luas to Knocklyon is an interesting one, pretty much because it will never happen. Unless it takes some convoluted route to the City Centre, it will be going through the likes of Terenure, Rathgar and Rathmines. If they can’t widen the roads to build a simple bus lane, I can’t see them widening the roads for a tram lane, overhead cabling, years of utilities’ rerouting, and then the operations of an actual tram...

I don’t really understand your point of doing more expensive and long term measures before more affordable and short/medium term measures, but that wouldn’t be a first for me on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I’ve never been keen on a Luas to UCD, purely because it’s comparatively dead for four months of the year.

A Luas to UCD would be low down on my list of priorities as it's one of the relatively few places in Dublin which I would regard as adequately served by bus. Three of the highest frequency routes in the city in the 39a, 46a and 145 not forgetting the 155 serve the campus. It serves the campus well.

The bus service on the N11 corridor is probably the best in the city and that's coming from somebody who lives along it, I would regard the service along the corridor as almost on a par with having a Luas or a Dart line and on a par with the bus service in other European cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Lucan Luas really would be a waste with a nearby DART line and feeder buses serving it and connecting to the Maynooth DART line too.

As well as that, a decent bus service along the N4 and Chapelizod bypass into the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

8% so 1 in 12 will have to change to get to the city centre. Anywhere to the city centre is the most basic type of routes so based on this, the proposed network is very inefficient.

I’m well aware that not every journey can be made without interchange but interchanging should be avoided where possible. The research backs this up, and other research goes even further to say that if a journey involves 2 or more changes, it is assumed that a passenger will take a different mode (usually the private car).

There is a case for interchange definitely not on high frequency "spine" or core routes like the 4, 15, 25a/b, 27, 39a, 46a, 140 or 145 but rather to replace lower frequency radial bus routes for example the likes of the 25, 33, 44, 47, 56a, 61, 65 etc. For the areas these buses serve solely a shorter interchanging service would benefit the areas as they can run at a higher frequency.

I’ve never been keen on a Luas to UCD, purely because it’s comparatively dead for four months of the year. Luas to Lucan is debatable for me tbh, if they build it like the way it was originally envisaged, then it will be a horrific waste of money due to meandering and plethora of street interactions - and that’s before you consider It’s impacts on the current Red Line. Much of Lucan will come under DART catchment once the expansion is completed too.

The Luas to Knocklyon is an interesting one, pretty much because it will never happen. Unless it takes some convoluted route to the City Centre, it will be going through the likes of Terenure, Rathgar and Rathmines. If they can’t widen the roads to build a simple bus lane, I can’t see them widening the roads for a tram lane, overhead cabling, years of utilities’ rerouting, and then the operations of an actual tram...

I don’t really understand your point of doing more expensive and long term measures before more affordable and short/medium term measures, but that wouldn’t be a first for me on this forum.

My point is that that based on the cost of Busconnects, it’s not more expensive. The 3 lines I’ve suggested as phase 1 (Lucan, UCD and Knocklyon) would cost half on the price of Busconnects and would have a far greater impact on traffic.

UCD now has a population of 30,000 during term time and a lot of the staff are permanent. I read the BRT studies years ago which found that denand would exceed supply at peak. It’s 4km so worth investment for such a short distance.

Lucan Luas would follow pretty much the same route as Liffey Valley CBC so I don’t agree that it it’s meandering, and it would have reasonable journey times to the city centre.

My proposed route to Knocklyon would be directly through Terrenure and follow the Dodder to serve Rathfarnham. I don’t propose any more widening than Busconnects but would propose a 1 way traffic system along a lot of the route. The route is wide enough to handle 3 lanes along a good part of the route. This wouldn’t be possible with buses. It’s only 6km from Rathfarnham to city centre so even assuming an average speed of 20km per hour (easily achievable including stops) that would mean 20minutes to college green. This would make it very attractive to residents and the attraction of Luas also has a factor.

My point again is that for the cost of Busconnects we could build something far better! It just seems we are lacking ambition to do the right thing and invest when not doing so will cost us more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

For someone so opposed to the concept of interchanges, it seems rather bizarre to me to suggest the money being spent on 16 core bus corridors with branching out at the end of the core part should instead be spent on 3 LUAS lines with no branching capability whatsoever. You will create an improvement in public transport for people living along 3 lines instead of essentially 48.

• Advertisement

My point is that that based on the cost of Busconnects, it’s not more expensive. The 3 lines I’ve suggested as phase 1 (Lucan, UCD and Knocklyon) would cost half on the price of Busconnects and would have a far greater impact on traffic.

UCD now has a population of 30,000 during term time and a lot of the staff are permanent. I read the BRT studies years ago which found that denand would exceed supply at peak. It’s 4km so worth investment for such a short distance.

Lucan Luas would follow pretty much the same route as Liffey Valley CBC so I don’t agree that it it’s meandering, and it would have reasonable journey times to the city centre.

My proposed route to Knocklyon would be directly through Terrenure and follow the Dodder to serve Rathfarnham. I don’t propose any more widening than Busconnects but would propose a 1 way traffic system along a lot of the route. The route is wide enough to handle 3 lanes along a good part of the route. This wouldn’t be possible with buses. It’s only 6km from Rathfarnham to city centre so even assuming an average speed of 20km per hour (easily achievable including stops) that would mean 20minutes to college green. This would make it very attractive to residents and the attraction of Luas also has a factor.

My point again is that for the cost of Busconnects we could build something far better! It just seems we are lacking ambition to do the right thing and invest when not doing so will cost us more.

And the rest of Dublin?? There are 16 proposed corridors.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    For someone so opposed to the concept of interchanges, it seems rather bizarre to me to suggest the money being spent on 16 core bus corridors with branching out at the end of the core part should instead be spent on 3 LUAS lines with no branching capability whatsoever. You will create an improvement in public transport for people living along 3 lines instead of essentially 48.

48?? The 3 lines during phase 1 cover 7 (to break it down 2-Lucan 2-UCD and 3-Knocklyon) of the 16 proposed corridors. I would also not proceed with the one to Ballymun given the overlap with metro. I’m not saying that buses shouldn’t run up the Ballymun road but the concept of running a CBC parallel to a 20,000 pph metro at the cost of €20m per km is madness. So therefore I’m down to 8 bus corridors. The majority of those left are in pretty good condition (e.g. rock road and Navan Road) and could be upgraded after the Luas lines.

I’m not just improving the public transport for those along the 3 lines but creating a network where someone can get from Cabra direct to UCD or to Lucan with a short walk.

I’m also not opposed to interchanging where necessary and interchanging between bus and rail is extremely common. What is not common is getting a low frequency bus to interchange with another bus. This will not work in the long term.

Again the point is not that public transport investment is a bad thing but the Busconnects money could be better spent for a greater return.

What is not common is getting a low frequency bus to interchange with another bus. This will not work in the long term.

Oh yeah I agree with you there, I've said that myself from the beginning, and I'm fairly sure that things like that will be dealt with once the next draft is released. But many of the local routes proposed are high frequency, especially around the likes of Blanchardstown, Tallaght, and I believe Swords and areas near Dún Laoghaire can fall into that bracket too. Any form of interchange within the Dublin Urban area which requires you to wait more than 10/15 minutes for a bus will be fairly problematic.

I do believe places like Blessington will be better off under the plan as-is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Kellyconor1982

In relation to a Knocklyon luas, i think the likelihood is that route will eventually be a metro line mostly underground. It may be hitting the 2040s before it becomes a reality though.

The only way it could be a luas would be if a major road into the city was completely shut down to traffic both sides. I can't see that happening but it would be pretty cool.

In relation to a Knocklyon luas, i think the likelihood is that route will eventually be a metro line mostly underground. It may be hitting the 2040s before it becomes a reality though.

The only way it could be a luas would be if a major road into the city was completely shut down to traffic both sides. I can't see that happening but it would be pretty cool.

The only metro I can see in Dublin is the one from Swords to Sandyford and eventually Bray. No other corridor has sufficient demand to justify the costs. A Luas to Knocklyon would cater for the demand on that corridor and be a reasonable price (not cheap but not metro expensive).
    The majority of the route from Christchurch has 3 lanes minimum so a well thought out one way system where necessary would work. This would leave the Rathmines and Kimmage corridors free. Compare that to Busconnects and they are closing both the Rathmines and Kimmage corridors in at least one direction. This will cause havoc in the city and the proposed buses simply do not have the capacity to meet demand.

If we say that the buses have a frequency of 5 minutes (extremely high for buses) that’s 12 buses per hour in a corridor. A bus holds 100 people max, so that’s 1200 people per corridor per hour. Even taking the close proximity of the Kimmage and Rathfarmham corridors, that’s still only 2400 people during the peak hour.
    Compare that to a Luas with trams every 4 minutes so 15 trams(reasonable frequency) and you have 300 people per tram = 4,500 people with scope for increasing the frequency to every 3 minutes (6,000 people).

For anyone who says that buses can travel at less than 5 minute headways, I don’t doubt they can but their reliability decreases significantly with the added complication of onboard payments and no guaranteed stopping pattern it’s extremely unlikely to work well. Take some of the core routes now at 10 minute frequency’s such as the 145 or the 46a which have relatively continuous bus lanes and they are constantly bunching together.

I’m not trying to be Mr. Bad Guy raining on everyone who supports the project because I genuinely want better public transport for Dublin but I just cannot see the benefits of Busconnects over an increased tram network. Dublin is the perfect size for trams and the Luas has shown that people like them so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The only metro I can see in Dublin is the one from Swords to Sandyford and eventually Bray. No other corridor has sufficient demand to justify the costs. A Luas to Knocklyon would cater for the demand on that corridor and be a reasonable price (not cheap but not metro expensive).
    The majority of the route from Christchurch has 3 lanes minimum so a well thought out one way system where necessary would work. This would leave the Rathmines and Kimmage corridors free. Compare that to Busconnects and they are closing both the Rathmines and Kimmage corridors in at least one direction. This will cause havoc in the city and the proposed buses simply do not have the capacity to meet demand.

If we say that the buses have a frequency of 5 minutes (extremely high for buses) that’s 12 buses per hour in a corridor. A bus holds 100 people max, so that’s 1200 people per corridor per hour. Even taking the close proximity of the Kimmage and Rathfarmham corridors, that’s still only 2400 people during the peak hour.
    Compare that to a Luas with trams every 4 minutes so 15 trams(reasonable frequency) and you have 300 people per tram = 4,500 people with scope for increasing the frequency to every 3 minutes (6,000 people).

For anyone who says that buses can travel at less than 5 minute headways, I don’t doubt they can but their reliability decreases significantly with the added complication of onboard payments and no guaranteed stopping pattern it’s extremely unlikely to work well. Take some of the core routes now at 10 minute frequency’s such as the 145 or the 46a which have relatively continuous bus lanes and they are constantly bunching together.

I’m not trying to be Mr. Bad Guy raining on everyone who supports the project because I genuinely want better public transport for Dublin but I just cannot see the benefits of Busconnects over an increased tram network. Dublin is the perfect size for trams and the Luas has shown that people like them so why not?

Good luck trying to dig up everything from Leonard's Corner to Rathfarnhham. The residents in the South West of the inner city suburbs have made it quite clear that they will accept nothing but an underground metro (as enormously costly and unlikely a solution as that may be). For this reason I don't see how a Luas is anymore palatable to the people shooting down bus connects in that area.

If you think that removing some parking and taking a few metres of garden is hard, just try what you're proposing. Maoist China would struggle to complete your plan.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Good luck trying to dig up everything from Leonard's Corner to Rathfarnhham. The residents in the South West of the inner city suburbs have made it quite clear that they will accept nothing but an underground metro (as enormously costly and unlikely a solution as that may be). For this reason I don't see how a Luas is anymore palatable to the people shooting down bus connects in that area.
    It’s a wide road from Leonard’s Corner to Harold’s Cross so that shouldn’t be a problem. Between Terenure and the dodder at Rathfarnham is proposed to be widened as part of Busconnects so if this is an issue then Busconnects is in bigger trouble. Between Harold’s Cross and Terenure is the challenge but like I said a 1 way traffic system could work. Remember that th majority of through traffic would go via Kimmage and Rathmines corridors.
    I know there are vested interests in the SW area but given the choice between a new team line or the distant promise of a metro never to be delivered, I know which I’d choose.

but given the choice between a new team line or the distant promise of a metro never to be delivered, I know which I’d choose.

I know which I’d choose too, but sadly many in that area don’t generally follow the concept of common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It’s a wide road from Leonard’s Corner to Harold’s Cross so that shouldn’t be a problem.

The problem is Harold's Cross bridge. It causes huge traffic congestion all around - but particularly on the canal. It needs sorting as it is, probably with pedestrians and cyclists being accommodated with some arrangement that includes the tow path, and some restriction on right turns. Best solution would be the canal traffic going through some underpass arrangement.

This would help bus throughput.

Advertisement