Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - BusConnects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

LXFlyer wrote: »
    I am NOT backtracking. Unless high capacity underground north/south and east/west rail solutions are in place (Metrolink and DART Underground) then there is no way you can move buses out from the city centre area.

There's also a hell of a difference between continuing to use existing tram lines (which the vast majority of other cities have) and putting in brand new tram lines along shared space that doesn't offer any particular speed improvement. I really don't see that happening at all.

Re College Green there were two lanes in each direction. Now there is one in each direction. That's the problem. The appallingly designed two way cycle lane takes up one of those lanes - the revised layout to facilitate LUAS with wider lanes and the larger island removed the other.

Re the 54a - I was responding directly to your point. What other route (apart from the 49) starts on Pearse Street? The 49 is only two buses an hour as well.

You’re speed argument is all relative. It’s 5km from the dodder bridge to college green. Even at an average speed of 15kmph that would give a journey time of 20 minute. Keep in mind that between Harold’s cross and Christchurch it would not be sharing with cars so can get up to 35kmph like it does on other streets like Harcourt for example. So a delay of 1-2 minutes isn’t going to effect things massively when you consider how busy the Luas green line is on journeys over 20 minutes (past milltown approx. then I see no issue with with the speed.
    If you look at cities like Manchester, Edinburgh and Nottingham they have developed tram networks recently in a bid to reduce congestion’s. These are the examples we should be looking at as they are a comparable size to Dublin. The fact that bigger cities maintain tram lines further highlights their credentials

I think that you'll find that the prime objection to the original plans was the enforced changing to get to/from the city centre.

I was thinking more of the distance from Clanbrassil Street/Patrick Street. You could conceivably be doubling people's walking distances from the existing routes if they are heading eastward. That does become an issue here.

So what about keeping line F and running A via Kevin st? My point being there is alternatives to college green even though I don’t agree with the full closure either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Last Stop wrote: »
    Great more anecdotal evidence. A single busy point in the city doesn’t mean it’s efficient. Again it’s 10% modal share so extremely low compared to other modes despite the coverage (almost everyone has access to a bike and there are a significant number of routes where people can cycle safely)

How does the person on a bicycle get to the top of the queue when a person in their car has to join from the back? There is no inbound cycle lane. A bicycle barely 2 feet wide is inherently efficient for this reason. That 10% share is remarkable given that Dublin's infrastructure is wholly inadequate despite what you may think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You’re speed argument is all relative. It’s 5km from the dodder bridge to college green. Even at an average speed of 15kmph that would give a journey time of 20 minute. Keep in mind that between Harold’s cross and Christchurch it would not be sharing with cars so can get up to 35kmph like it does on other streets like Harcourt for example. So a delay of 1-2 minutes isn’t going to effect things massively when you consider how busy the Luas green line is on journeys over 20 minutes (past milltown approx. then I see no issue with with the speed.
    If you look at cities like Manchester, Edinburgh and Nottingham they have developed tram networks recently in a bid to reduce congestion’s. These are the examples we should be looking at as they are a comparable size to Dublin. The fact that bigger cities maintain tram lines further highlights their credentials

The tram networks in those cities outside the city centre are not on-street by and large. They're segregated.

Edinburgh's trams beyond Haymarket are fully segregated. Most of Metrolink in Manchester is on former railway lines or are segregated outside the city centre.

Harold's Cross-Christchurch isn't a problem area currently as traffic flows reasonably quickly - the problems are further south where the roads are narrower and you have pinch points.

So what about keeping line F and running A via Kevin st? My point being there is alternatives to college green even though I don’t agree with the full closure either

Again you are moving the A spine further away from the city centre as it approaches it, before looping back, discommoding more people than you are facilitating by virtue of a longer route.

Using Parliament Street is critical in my view if you are to reduce bus use on College Green - without it I just don't see how any plan that avoids College Green will be an improvement or similar to what we have now. It minimises the length of any diversion.

DCC turned use of Parliament Street down on environmental grounds - given that the network won't start to change until 2021, it is reasonable to say that by the time the George's Street routes get redesigned, that all of the routes that would use it could by then be operated fully by hybrid vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The addition of the gap between the road and the footpath increasing the number of crossing for pedestrians is not in the Dutch model.
    The curves in the Dutch model are far less severe than those proposed in this example.
    You also missed my last point?

You're the only one here that thinks you know anything about the Dutch model -- you probably should just give up trying to claim you do.
    Is agree the current road is substandard as it was designed before DMURS was published but why as part of an upgrade should be not design the road to DMURS completely rather than just bring it “more in line”. DMURS was developed in the interest of ensuring all road users are safe. If we are not using to full effect which it looks like here then it’s unsafe.

Your signalling proposal ignores the nucleus of my point in that the n11 mainline gets more green time that the side roads. How long do your propose to hold the filter lanes for? On a number of the n11 junctions the traffic back up past the filter lanes (hence their presence). If you hold them longer you hold the mainline causing gridlock.
    I’m not too fussed about extra green time for pedestrians as I am of the opinion that it is adequate currently and if it needs changing it is a relatively simple measure.

There is a significant number of people on here who jump at those who criticise Busconnects. I don’t agree with NIMBYISM but I have raised some serious issues here which no one has been able to address and even point here is effectively a defence of the NTA who got in wrong in the first phase and are now playing catch up.

"I’m not too fussed about extra green time for pedestrians" ...That's more of what you are saying which is clearly showing you're just using pedestrians to fight against decent cycling infrastructure. Do you think you're fooling many people here?

It's strange also that in one post you're worried about reducing car traffic and in the next post you're worrying about
    6a00d83454714d69e2017d3c37d8ac970c-800wi

Buses are more efficient than cyclists and trams more than buses

On routes, but not city-wide. City-wide see below...

7-10 is low? If I got 10% in an exam I wouldn’t be happy and thinking great room for improvement. The modal share is the same despite their being only 2 tram lines. Everyone can access a bike?

Really?

Spend 1.5 billion euro on two tram lines vs a tiny fraction of that on cycling infrastructure.

The final bit of Dublin's first continuously segregated cycle route from city centre to suburbs is only set to start construction next year.

Define a “little bit more mixed”? As in similar to the hill at Christchurch or a gentle incline? How does cycling modal split fare in the more mixed areas as all the evidence presented in Amsterdam and Utrecht is based on areas in Holland itself correct? So based on that my point is valid. Throwing in ebikes as a solution is a token gesture.

You can't even get that Holland is a province and Utrecht isn't in Holland. I don't expect everybody to know this but I've already said at least once that Holland isn't the name of the country we're talking about.

I don't really know what the rest of what you are on about here and it's not at all clear why you think e-bicycles are a token gesture -- they flatten out hills for people who are not able for them.
    But the point is you can’t build half a tram line but you can build half a cycle lane... therefore it is easier to stop funding despite only certain parts being build which leads to the whole network collapsing. Adding a tram line now and another in 20 years still helps significantly where as adding 1km of cycle lane now and another in 20 years won’t encourage people to cycle.

The link between the red and green lines left for years shows very clearly that you can build half a tram line. The city really can't wait for decades for tram lines to built. And the Government built Luas Cross City without fully having traffic management in the plan, leaving the blame to others.
    Again point me to figures on the return on investment in particular passenger numbers or reduction in traffic when a cycle lane is provided. Surely that’s available for some schemes?

These are just small routes and results already:

The Irish Independent reported: “This particular in-depth local data also showed a sharp rise in cyclists in Dublin city centre. The statistics revealed the number of cyclists making their way to work rose by some 43pc between 2011 and 2016.”

The newspaper added: “The largest increase came around the Harold’s Cross and Kimmage areas of Dublin. CSO officials believe this is particularly down to a cycle route that was opened along the Grand Canal in Dublin.”

+

"electronic cycle counter on the Rock Road approaching Booterstown Avenue has shown that cycling numbers have increased by 49% in the first 6 months of 2016 when compared to 2014"

https://irishcycle.com/2017/07/22/census-shows-segregated-cycle-path-helps-drive-switch-to-cycling-in-areas-around-route/

It’s a reason people use. An excuse yes but it’s a reason why people don’t cycle. I’m not denying the main issue but my point was a list reasons why we won’t be like the Dutch and this is a valid reason.

I've actually debunked your points on why -- lack of adequate facilities in a number of work places is laughable and the weather excuse quickly falls away when safe and attractive infrastructure is provided.

Sure, some people might never cycle because they might get wet the odd time. Those people also exist in The Netherlands.
    I have not suggested closing access to any streets etc. Or reducing the width of a significant amount of roads which would be required to install cycle lanes. This comes down to catchment areas. A tram serves an area 1km around the stop. To be served by a cycle network you effectively need a cycle lane on every street.

This gets funnier the more you go on -- you want a tram network without taking space from car? Is it going to be elevated like a monorail?

Don’t care where it ranks, it’s a reason. If you’re suggesting adapting then your adding to the cost of cycling infrastructure. I know the vast majority of places will definitely not pay for such facilities out of their own pocket unless it becomes law.

I think you'll find offices are already being adapted with more parking space etc being given over to cycling.

https://dublin.cyclingworks.org/ has something around 100 companies signed up. You're really not getting that city centre-based companies are already seeing the benefits of cycling and making their employees happier and attracting new ones when needed.

My point is some people can’t drive or cycle and therefore rely on public transport. Investment in trams accommodates everyone equally.

The catchment area of a tram is significant (around 1km) so I don’t see your point here. Developing a tram network would serve a significant proportion of the city.
    More people on trams is also a bento the country?

With investment in a tram network and redesigned bus network, there would be a significant increase in public transport use. 50% is ambitious but there is far better chance of getting 50% of using public transport than using bikes even if just based on the fact that there is a percentage of people who physically can’t cycle.

A 50% modal split on cycling would be extremely difficult. The GDA plans 2000km of cycle lanes to maintain 10%. How many more would be required to reach 50%. At this stage the costs are surely favouring trams. Even a doubling of modal share to 20% would put a massive strain on even the best parts the cycling infrastructure such as the grand canal cycleway and the Drury st bike park. 50% public transport on the other hand could be achieved

As I've said -- I'm a big fan of trams for their people moving capacity on routes. But on a city-wide bases, Luas-like trams cannot accommodate everyone equally and more so not in the short term. Your tram and to hell with BusConnects idea is really toxic stuff -- nitpicking with BusConnects and trying to claim it's fundamentally flawed just does not stand up.

City-wide public transport alone usually fails to provide a majority share.

Look at the amount of public transport on offer in Copenhagen -- the very high-frequency of both the Metro and the S-train and buses filling in some gaps. Yet, cycling amounts to 50% of commuters. Copenhagen has a similar population level and density to Dublin -- how many tram lines are you going to build before it comes close to the capacity of Copenhagen's system?

Stockholm is another example of a larger system, yet, the public transport modal share in Stockholm is listed as between 24-40%. The https://civitas.eu/eccentric/stockholm page includes the following as part of the city's public transport network:
    • Regional Train: 1 hour commuting one train every 30 min 5.00 to 24.00 Green electricity only
    • Commuter Train: 5-30min traffic, 5.00 to 24.00 Green electricity only
    • Metro: 110 km, 100 stations Green electricity only
    • Boats: 40 boat lines, 4 million passengers/year, 6.00-20.00. 300 bridges.
    • Buses: 2,200 in the whole region. 85 % of them use only renewable fuel.

Yes, that's the page which lists public transport's modal share in Stockholm as at just 24%. Seem a bit low, but, regardless, my point is few cities around Dublin's size punches nearly 50%

More people on bicycles is a greater benefit, that's all I was saying. And transport people focus on transport. The Government needs to also
    include health and human movement options in our built environment.

Great more anecdotal evidence. A single busy point in the city doesn’t mean it’s efficient. Again it’s 10% modal share so extremely low compared to other modes despite the coverage (almost everyone has access to a bike and there are a significant number of routes where people can cycle safely)

That's outright misinformation.

There isn't a significant number of routes where people can cycle safely.

Also: Errr... no, almost everybody in Dublin do not have access to a bicycles fit for commuting or normal daily use.

Bambi wrote: »
    Massively inefficient given the low usage to space allocated, basically handing road space over to a small group of very vocal hobbyists. Emphasis should be on mass public transit in peak hours rather than private transit like bicycles and cars

What space allocated? In Dublin there's a tiny amount of space allocated to cycling -- usually it's substandard, only the space left over after space is given to other modes, and not segregated and often blocked by motorists.
    I’ve said it’s not feasible. Doesn’t answer my question as to why not other country has done it? Surely the Germans would have tried if it was that easy?

You saying it is not feasible without any reason to back that up does makes your point very weak. As for "if it was that easy" -- who said it was easy?

It's been said to you many times it's hard but just because something is hard is not a reason why not to do it. I just said it in what you were replying to! And some German cities have been trying to do it with different levels of success.
    Again show me where there is a change of level at the junction.
    I’m not arguing with the segregation of cyclists of course thats beneficial. I’m arguing against doing this to the detriment of pedestrians. You still haven’t explained why there needs to be a gap between the road and the cycle lane unlike how the Dutch design their junctions

As in my other reply -- you don't seem to know how the Dutch design their junctions. And you're again using pedestrians to argue against life-saving segregation.

Sending a link to a pro cycling website with no link to any reports or similar really doesn’t help your case. The UK report says between 2:1 and 35:1.... would that’s vague. A Luas line has a cost benefit ratio of 4:1 typically so if any of the proposed cycle lanes are around the 2:1 mark then Luas is a better alternative as I have said all along.

Cherry-picking the lower end of a scale in one reference point on the page I sent

If you want to do more cherry-picking, there's loads more links to read under "further reading" header on that page, including:

6,500 early deaths prevented annually in NL due to cycling levels — Universiteit Utrecht
    The cost-effectiveness of bike lanes in New York City -- BMJ
    'The Value of Cycling’ -- UK DoT

You might have found the further reading links if you were not just focused on taking pot shots at cycling.

donvito99 wrote: »
    How does the person on a bicycle get to the top of the queue when a person in their car has to join from the back? There is no inbound cycle lane. A bicycle barely 2 feet wide is inherently efficient for this reason. That 10% share is remarkable given that Dublin's infrastructure is wholly inadequate despite what you may think.

Around 10% is the norm around the world so nothing remarkable about Dublin. If it’s so efficient at 2ft then why are we building lanes up to 10ft wide?

Again you are moving the A spine further away from the city centre as it approaches it, before looping back, discommoding more people than you are facilitating by virtue of a longer route.

Using Parliament Street is critical in my view if you are to reduce bus use on College Green - without it I just don't see how any plan that avoids College Green will be an improvement or similar to what we have now. It minimises the length of any diversion.

DCC turned use of Parliament Street down on environmental grounds - given that the network won't start to change until 2021, it is reasonable to say that by the time the George's Street routes get redesigned, that all of the routes that would use it could by then be operated fully by hybrid vehicles.

My point being there are alternatives to college green although college green is still the best option
    Reducing the number of buses is even more critical.
    I cannot see us having fully hybrid vehicles by 2021. They won’t even have the 600 they ordered built by then and these will only be phased in to replace older stock.

• Advertisement

The tram networks in those cities outside the city centre are not on-street by and large. They're segregated.

Edinburgh's trams beyond Haymarket are fully segregated. Most of Metrolink in Manchester is on former railway lines or are segregated outside the city centre.

Harold's Cross-Christchurch isn't a problem area currently as traffic flows reasonably quickly - the problems are further south where the roads are narrower and you have pinch points.

From Haymarket to York place in Edinburgh is 2.6km. From Terenure to Harold’s cross is 2km. While I appreciate it wouldn’t be fully segregated from Harold’s cross to Christchurch as you said yourself this isn’t a problem area so speed isn’t an issue. A speed of 30kmph on this section would mean that you could be slower through Terenure and still get to college green in 20 minutes.

I like how you left out the Nottingham trams which have a significant amount of on street shared running too even outside the city centre...

monument wrote: »
    That's outright misinformation.

There isn't a significant number of routes where people can cycle safely.

Also: Errr... no, almost everybody in Dublin do not have access to a bicycles fit for commuting or normal daily use.

There are a significant number of routes that have full cycle lanes on them with more planned in the near future separate to Busconnects.

Surely your second point brings into question your point about costs. If everyone has to go any buy a bike it’s a significant cost burden which should be included in the cost benefit analysis. You don’t need to buy any specific equipment to use public transport.

You don’t need to buy any specific equipment to use public transport.

Its cheaper for me to buy a good city bike and throw it away after a year than it is to get the bus to work for a year.

My point being there are alternatives to college green although college green is still the best option
    Reducing the number of buses is even more critical.
    I cannot see us having fully hybrid vehicles by 2021. They won’t even have the 600 they ordered built by then and these will only be phased in to replace older stock.

FFS I didn’t say the entire fleet would be hybrid by 2021. It won’t.

But the next fleet order will be entirely hybrid and so will every other delivery thereafter.

BusConnects network changes are going to be implemented in phases which will take some time to deliver.

It would be perfectly feasible to schedule the particular phase re-routing the George’s St routes via Parliament St at a time when sufficient deliveries of hybrid buses have been made to ensure that those routes that would use Parliament St would have only hybrids allocated to them.

Without that College Green is an essential artery for the bus service.

Your “alternatives” mean longer diversions - that is not going to be acceptable.

From Haymarket to York place in Edinburgh is 2.6km. From Terenure to Harold’s cross is 2km. While I appreciate it wouldn’t be fully segregated from Harold’s cross to Christchurch as you said yourself this isn’t a problem area so speed isn’t an issue. A speed of 30kmph on this section would mean that you could be slower through Terenure and still get to college green in 20 minutes.

I like how you left out the Nottingham trams which have a significant amount of on street shared running too even outside the city centre...

So what? I’ve not been to Nottingham. But I have been to both Manchester and Edinburgh. I commented upon what I know about. It doesn’t change my view that laying brand new tramlines along shared road space isn’t a good idea.

Haymarket to York Place is in the city centre. It is nothing like Terenure to Harold’s Cross. We are talking chalk and cheese here.

The disruption that would be involved on a key artery to divert utilities and lay down tracks all for what? A slow tram no faster than the buses that already operate there.

This isn’t even remotely going to happen.

Whether you like it or not, you’re stuck with buses for the foreseeable future.

There are a significant number of routes that have full cycle lanes on them with more planned in the near future separate to Busconnects.

The more you type the more clueless you seem about cycling... are you for real? What are "full cycle lanes"?

How many times do I have to say that there is not a single segregated cycle route from city to suburbs in Dublin?

Surely your second point brings into question your point about costs. If everyone has to go any buy a bike it’s a significant cost burden which should be included in the cost benefit analysis. You don’t need to buy any specific equipment to use public transport.

Cost of a bicycle and on-going costs is significantly cheaper than the cost of public transport.

Around 10% is the norm around the world so nothing remarkable about Dublin.

Just a reminder that after 1.5 billion euro later, Luas has the around the same or a bit lower modal share.

If it’s so efficient at 2ft then why are we building lanes up to 10ft wide?

You claimed a while ago in this thread to be a qualified civil engineer and now you're asking why cycle lanes should be wider than 1 metre? What lane in Dublin has been built or is planned to be built "up to 10ft wide" that isn't two-way?

Every time I think you have shown the extent of how little you know about cycling, you start typing again. Given your posts here, if you're still working as a civil engineer, please tell me nobody is letting you near cycling projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have to admit here. I actually love the new cycling plans. They do look excellent.

There is a video about the functions of a protected intersection up on this website. It will give you some idea on what it's about.

http://www.protectedintersection.com/

So what? I’ve not been to Nottingham. But I have been to both Manchester and Edinburgh. I commented upon what I know about. It doesn’t change my view that laying brand new tramlines along shared road space isn’t a good idea.

Haymarket to York Place is in the city centre. It is nothing like Terenure to Harold’s Cross. We are talking chalk and cheese here.

The disruption that would be involved on a key artery to divert utilities and lay down tracks all for what? A slow tram no faster than the buses that already operate there.

This isn’t even remotely going to happen.

Whether you like it or not, you’re stuck with buses for the foreseeable future.

Well I would suggest you look at what Nottingham has done to that shared space running does work.
    Busconnects is doing this in 16 corridors for Christ sake.
    Buses aren’t currently segregated from Harold’s cross all the way to Christchurch and again from Terenure to the dodder. If you’re suggesting that you can’t get from the dodder to college green in 20 minutes by bus then you’re living in fantasy land

Well I would suggest you look at what Nottingham has done to that shared space running does work.
    Busconnects is doing this in 16 corridors for Christ sake.
    Buses aren’t currently segregated from Harold’s cross all the way to Christchurch and again from Terenure to the dodder. If you’re suggesting that you can’t get from the dodder to college green in 20 minutes by bus then you’re living in fantasy land

I’m not saying that at all because the trams wouldn’t do it either.

I’m saying that your entire proposal is nonsense. I refer you back to my “cloud cuckoo land” comment in my initial response.

How is a tram faster than a bus?

• Advertisement

The more you type the more clueless you seem about cycling... are you for real? What are "full cycle lanes"?

How many times do I have to say that there is not a single segregated cycle route from city to suburbs in Dublin?

Cost of a bicycle and on-going costs is significantly cheaper than the cost of public transport.

Just a reminder that after 1.5 billion euro later, Luas has the around the same or a bit lower modal share.

You claimed a while ago in this thread to be a qualified civil engineer and now you're asking why cycle lanes should be wider than 1 metre? What lane in Dublin has been built or is planned to be built "up to 10ft wide" that isn't two-way?

Every time I think you have shown the extent of how little you know about cycling, you start typing again. Given your posts here, if you're still working as a civil engineer, please tell me nobody is letting you near cycling projects.

There are sections of the N11, rock road all the way out to howth including Clontarf and Sutton where people can fully commute with bike lanes. E.g Clontarf to east point business park as a single example. Not everyone works in the city centre and lives in the suburbs.

Again your point about Luas ignores the relative size of the system - 2 lines vs the possibility that people can in theory cycle from any part of the city.

Once again you’re twisting my words. Someone suggested how efficient Rathmines was with 2ft and I asked why we are building wide lanes if 2ft is sufficient. Do cyclists not get sarcasm?

https://www.cyclemanual.ie/manual/thebasics/width/
    And for the record depending on the road conditions the national cycle manual advises cycle lanes in excess of 3m. As an example on the n11 at Colaiste Eoin, the manual advises 0.65 (beside a wall) + 1.25 (single file + overtaking) + 0.75 (beside a road) + 0.25 (uphill) + 0.25 (around schools) = 3.15m or over 10ft so I actually overestimated. Based on this I would appreciate if you withdrew your challenge of my professional credentials.

donvito99 wrote: »
    How is a tram faster than a bus?

Less stops, faster acceleration, greater priority to name but a few reasons.

Less stops, faster acceleration, greater priority to name but a few reasons.

How does this happen between Clanbrassil St and the Dodder? A bus could have less stops. The point of a train/tram is the amount of people it carries.

What space allocated? In Dublin there's a tiny amount of space allocated to cycling -- usually it's substandard, only the space left over after space is given to other modes, and not segregated and often blocked by motorists.

You saying it is not feasible without any reason to back that up does makes your point very weak. As for "if it was that easy" -- who said it was easy?

It's been said to you many times it's hard but just because something is hard is not a reason why not to do it. I just said it in what you were replying to! And some German cities have been trying to do it with different levels of success.

As in my other reply -- you don't seem to know how the Dutch design their junctions. And you're again using pedestrians to argue against life-saving segregation.

Cherry-picking the lower end of a scale in one reference point on the page I sent

If you want to do more cherry-picking, there's loads more links to read under "further reading" header on that page, including:

6,500 early deaths prevented annually in NL due to cycling levels — Universiteit Utrecht
    The cost-effectiveness of bike lanes in New York City -- BMJ
    'The Value of Cycling’ -- UK DoT

You might have found the further reading links if you were not just focused on taking pot shots at cycling.

I’ve given your a list of reasons why cycling will never be as popular here as in the Netherlands.
    My suggestion that it is easy is that you are saying that with the investment here, cycling numbers would skyrocket to Utrecht type levels when in reality they won’t because it requires so much more than that and in Ireland we simply do not have the political will power to make it happen making it unfeasible.
    So even following the Dutch model doesn’t guarantee success? That’s a significant risk to be betting €2bn on. At least with trams you know what you get.

Yet again you’ve failed to explain to me why there is a gap between the cycle lane and the road. Explain that and I’ll appreciate the design. But until that point I remain of the view that it is an unsafe design for pedestrians and cyclists.

It’s such a broad range I didn’t have much choice. Again all the articles refer to public health but do little to address the biggest issue when it comes to transport in Dublin which is congestion. Of course we all know the reason for this is that cycling does little to reduce congestion.

I’m not taking pot shots at cyclists. If I wanted to do that I could have gone down the running red light route but I didn’t. Instead I made an argument as to why trams would reduce congestion more than cycle lanes.

There are sections of the N11, rock road all the way out to howth including Clontarf and Sutton where people can fully commute with bike lanes. E.g Clontarf to east point business park as a single example. Not everyone works in the city centre and lives in the suburbs.

You're digging so much you need something bigger than a shovel. A JCB might be too small too. With you, it's fallacy or straw man one after another.

Your argument goes from a "significant number of routes that have full cycle lanes" to there "are sections of". Goal posts are quickly changing.

And you really cannot be getting uppity re professional credentials when you keep acting the fool to score points -- in other replies you have (rightly) said cycle networks are needed, not just single routes, but now you're saying parts of routes are good enough. All of this just to score points.

You're more intelligent than this. All you're doing here is trying to point score when you really aren't doing any of your arguments for trams over buses any favors by being so illogical on cycling.

Again your point about Luas ignores the relative size of the system - 2 lines vs the possibility that people can in theory cycle from any part of the city.

What, just like there's the possibility that people can in theory be pushed into trams Tokyo-style to fit more in at peak times? Because that's comparable to your claim that "possibility that people can in theory" when we have already talked about danger putting people off etc.

Stop insulting your own intelligence by continuing to try to claim 1.5 billion in investment in trams the same as the disjointed state of the cycle network. Again: Not a single full city to suburbs route in Dublin.

Once again you’re twisting my words. Someone suggested how efficient Rathmines was with 2ft and I asked why we are building wide lanes if 2ft is sufficient. Do cyclists not get sarcasm?

https://www.cyclemanual.ie/manual/thebasics/width/
    And for the record depending on the road conditions the national cycle manual advises cycle lanes in excess of 3m. As an example on the n11 at Colaiste Eoin, the manual advises 0.65 (beside a wall) + 1.25 (single file + overtaking) + 0.75 (beside a road) + 0.25 (uphill) + 0.25 (around schools) = 3.15m or over 10ft so I actually overestimated. Based on this I would appreciate if you withdrew your challenge of my professional credentials.

Nobody is twisting your words.

You are nitpicking, being facetious, trying to score points... I think you're the one who need have a think about what you are posting.

It would be fantastic if we're building 3m wide unidirectional cycle tracks anywhere -- but that was your claim. Mentioning the National Cycle Manual now is shifting the goalposts. You said they were being built. In any case if a cycle route is wider at points for good reason, that's quite different than the normal width of the route.
    I’ve given your a list of reasons why cycling will never be as popular here as in the Netherlands.

What you are claiming to be reasons are actually fallacies -- your ones and more of them at https://cyclingfallacies.com/ -- as I've already done, I can added Irish context if you need.

My suggestion that it is easy is that you are saying that with the investment here, cycling numbers would skyrocket to Utrecht type levels when in reality they won’t because it requires so much more than that and in Ireland we simply do not have the political will power to make it happen making it unfeasible.

Your suggestion is to keep saying that I am saying it is easy when I am not saying it is easy? Do you actually think you are being clever here?

So even following the Dutch model doesn’t guarantee success? That’s a significant risk to be betting €2bn on. At least with trams you know what you get.

With you, it's fallacy or straw man one after another. Where is the €2bn being risked on cycling? What are you trying to say here? The Government will have to sign off on a cycle network as one project with a figure you came up with and nothing to support it?

Yet again you’ve failed to explain to me why there is a gap between the cycle lane and the road. Explain that and I’ll appreciate the design. But until that point I remain of the view that it is an unsafe design for pedestrians and cyclists.

Now, this is a problem for you. For a number of posts you have said that the design is not like Dutch junction designs (when it clearly is), and now you want me to explain it to you. Is this another attempt at a joke of yours?
    It’s such a broad range I didn’t have much choice. Again all the articles refer to public health but do little to address the biggest issue when it comes to transport in Dublin which is congestion. Of course we all know the reason for this is that cycling does little to reduce congestion.

You have failed to explain what you mean by "reduce congestion" -- some people take that as meaning speed up cars and others take it as to reduce the number of cars.
    I’m not taking pot shots at cyclists. If I wanted to do that I could have gone down the running red light route but I didn’t. Instead I made an argument as to why trams would reduce congestion more than cycle lanes.

That's just trying to be clever (putting across convoluted fallacies) vs opening being an idiot (red light fallacies etc, which you clearly where not doing). But your version of trying to be smart is also not working out well.

You're digging so much you need something bigger than a shovel. A JCB might be too small too. With you, it's fallacy or straw man one after another.

Your argument goes from a "significant number of routes that have full cycle lanes" to there "are sections of". Goal posts are quickly changing.

And you really cannot be getting uppity re professional credentials when you keep acting the fool to score points -- in other replies you have (rightly) said cycle networks are needed, not just single routes, but now you're saying parts of routes are good enough. All of this just to score points.

You're more intelligent than this. All you're doing here is trying to point score when you really aren't doing any of your arguments for trams over buses any favors by being so illogical on cycling.

What, just like there's the possibility that people can in theory be pushed into trams Tokyo-style to fit more in at peak times? Because that's comparable to your claim that "possibility that people can in theory" when we have already talked about danger putting people off etc.

Stop insulting your own intelligence by continuing to try to claim 1.5 billion in investment in trams the same as the disjointed state of the cycle network. Again: Not a single full city to suburbs route in Dublin.

Nobody is twisting your words.

You are nitpicking, being facetious, trying to score points... I think you're the one who need have a think about what you are posting.

It would be fantastic if we're building 3m wide unidirectional cycle tracks anywhere -- but that was your claim. Mentioning the National Cycle Manual now is shifting the goalposts. You said they were being built. In any case if a cycle route is wider at points for good reason, that's quite different than the normal width of the route.

What you are claiming to be reasons are actually fallacies -- your ones and more of them at https://cyclingfallacies.com/ -- as I've already done, I can added Irish context if you need.

Your suggestion is to keep saying that I am saying it is easy when I am not saying it is easy? Do you actually think you are being clever here?

With you, it's fallacy or straw man one after another. Where is the €2bn being risked on cycling? What are you trying to say here? The Government will have to sign off on a cycle network as one project with a figure you came up with and nothing to support it?

Now, this is a problem for you. For a number of posts you have said that the design is not like Dutch junction designs (when it clearly is), and now you want me to explain it to you. Is this another attempt at a joke of yours?

You have failed to explain what you mean by "reduce congestion" -- some people take that as meaning speed up cars and others take it as to reduce the number of cars.

That's just trying to be clever (putting across convoluted fallacies) vs opening being an idiot (red light fallacies etc, which you clearly where not doing). But your version of trying to be smart is also not working out well.

Let me be clear here, I acknowledge that a cycle network is needed however I cannot acknowledge your claims that this will have a significant impact on the modal share of cycling in Dublin because it simply won’t. The NTA recognise this themselves which despite me bringing it up multiple times have failed to address.

I really struggle to see what your point is about Tokyo??
    I’m not comparing the Luas system to the current cycle is network. I’m comparing the impact that the 2 Luas lines have had vs the impact that the investment, yes re latively small, in cycling infrastructure has had. If you compare the two based on their impact on modal share, well there’s only really one winner.

You questioned my credentials based on what was clearly a joke by implying it wasn’t a joke... do I have to put *end sarcasm* at the end of every joke to be clear?
    Here’s where it gets really comical. Do you still disagree with that there will be 3m wide cycle lanes in some locations? How is mentioning the design standard that Busconnects will be using and applying it to a location where Busconnects will be implemented shifting the goalposts?
    I said and let me be clear “why are building lanes up to 10ft wide?”. It was quite clear that this was in reference to this project and saying different is a fallacy. I take it you are acknowledging that some cycle lanes will be up to 10ft wide (if not wider)? Note the up to part recognises the fact that not all lanes will be that width. I still await an apology for your defamation.

One mans reason is another mans fallacy. Call them reasons, excuses, fallacies, call them fake news for all I care but changing the name does not change the point. I have made a list people will use to justify not cycling if we were to build the infrastructure. Whether they are true or not is irrelevant. Yes the vast majority are untrue but that doesn’t mean that people will not use them.

In your first post in this argument you said “when you transfer space to cycling and make it safer and more attractive, more people cycle”. That makes it sound very simple or easy. What I have said and I think you know this is that there is much more than infrastructure needed to grow cycling. I gave you a list of obstacles (you call the, fallacies) that need to be overcome to increase numbers. Based on that list I deemed it unfeasible. You’ve challenged the list and reiterate your point that if the infrastructure is there people will cycle. If it was as easy as building infrastructure then it would have been done years ago. I don’t see how saying it’s just the infrastructure isn’t saying it’s easy?

Ironically, my €2bn figure can be found in 2 places. Busconnects and the cost to deliver the GDA cycle network in full. My suggestion from the very start has been that if we have €2bn to spend on a transport project (Busconnects budget) it would be far better to spend it on tram lines than on buses and cycling as is proposed under Busconnects.

Ahhh this is comical now. I have asked you a number of times to explain to me why there is a gap between the cycle lane and the road meaning that the pedestrian crossing is broken. Every time you have refused to answer the question and now you’re saying it’s up to me to figure it out??
    For clarity I have attached an image taken from a video on YouTube showing how the Dutch design junctions. You’ll note that surprise surprise there is no gap between the cycle lane and the footpath. This design means there is full segregation between pedestrians, cyclists and cars but crucially pedestrians can cross the street in 1 go rather than the 3 required in the example given by the NTA.

My definition of reduce congestion is reducing the number of cars.

If you can point to where I made a pot shot I would greatly appreciate it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Was it this video by any chance?

Because this video shows multiple examples of the type of junction that the NTA has designed in use, and it's hard to believe that you've actually watched the video at all, or took anything from it on board , to be honest.

It makes it look like you wanted the screenshot to prove your point, but didn't like the what the rest of the video was saying because it completely and utterly undermines your point, so you didn't include the link to the video.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Was it this video by any chance?

Because this video shows multiple examples of the type of junction that the NTA has designed in use, and it's hard to believe that you've actually watched the video at all, or took anything from it on board , to be honest.

It makes it look like you wanted the screenshot to prove your point, but didn't like the what the rest of the video was saying because it completely and utterly undermines your point, so you didn't include the link to the video.

Funnily enough no it wasn’t that one but this one
    https://youtu.be/FlApbxLz6pA

But your argument and defence still doesn’t address my point. Of course I used the screenshot to prove my point. My point being there isn’t a need for the gap. No one has explained why the gap is needed.
    And for the record, showing examples with a gap in the Netherlands doesn’t address another point I made which is that in the Netherlands, cyclists have priority whereas here in Ireland where the junction is planned for under DMURS the pedestrian has priority.
    Remove the gap and this issue goes away. I’d still have reservations about it actually slowing cyclists down but since none of the cycling experts on here have an issue with that I’ll let it go.
    It is incredible that pages and pages later, some people still fail to see the issue with this and are praising the design. Maybe it’s because cyclists only see cyclists and don’t want to acknowledge anyone else on the road.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Funnily enough no it wasn’t that one but this one

Haha, even in that video, they literally say this is standard design for dutch junctions, and change the image to a design that includes pedestrian traffic islands.

It's at the two minute mark.
    Here's an image of it, it's the one on the right:
    junction-design.jpg

To be honest, I'm willing to take the Dutch at their word on these designs, and I'm not much of a cyclist at all, so I'm open to correction on these by anyone with more authority on it, but this design would allow cyclists to turn left without waiting for the lights, and would also reduce conflict between pedestrians, cars, and cyclists.

I know that you keep banging on about the fact that pedestrians will have to cross a cycleway to get to the traffic island, but surely you can see that it's easier for pedestrians to cross a cycleway than it is to cross a road? It's not the same level of danger at all. It's why the Dutch also use floating bus stops all over the place as well.

The Dutch have 50 years worth of knowledge and data that shows this is the safest way, so as I said, I'm content to take their word on it.

Also, the Dutch cyclists don't have priority over pedestrians, so I don't know where you're getting that from?

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Haha, even in that video, they literally say this is standard design for dutch junctions, and change the image to a design that includes pedestrian traffic islands.

It's at the two minute mark.
    Here's an image of it, it's the one on the right:
    junction-design.jpg

To be honest, I'm willing to take the Dutch at their word on these designs, and I'm not much of a cyclist at all, so I'm open to correction on these by anyone with more authority on it, but this design would allow cyclists to turn left without waiting for the lights, and would also reduce conflict between pedestrians, cars, and cyclists.

I know that you keep banging on about the fact that pedestrians will have to cross a cycleway to get to the traffic island, but surely you can see that it's easier for pedestrians to cross a cycleway than it is to cross a road? It's not the same level of danger at all. It's why the Dutch also use floating bus stops all over the place as well.

The Dutch have 50 years worth of knowledge and data that shows this is the safest way, so as I said, I'm content to take their word on it.

Also, the Dutch cyclists don't have priority over pedestrians, so I don't know where you're getting that from?

Once again, showing examples where the Dutch have included a gap doesn’t prove your point.
    I have asked time and again why their is a gap between the road and the cycle lane. The best response I’ve got so far (asides from the fact that it’s my problem) is that the Dutch do it so we shouldn’t challenge it.
    Again saying it’s easier for pedestrians to cross a cycle lane than a road is missing the point. Removing the gap means pedestrians can cross the road and cycle lanes in one go. What part of that don’t you get?
    And crossing a road at a signalled junction is not same level of danger as crossing a non signalised cycle lane. The level of danger is greater because the pedestrian has to judge the speed of the cyclist etc.
    The addition of the gap also increases the risk that at peak times pedestrians spill into the cycle lane.
    At this stage I have given you multiple reasons why the gap is not a good design and not a single person has justified why it is required.

From my reading of the design, it wouldn’t even allow a cyclist to go straight ahead without waiting at the lights. Any vehicle turning left would have priority over cyclists going straight surely like they do over pedestrians going straight in this situation I.e. a signalised junction)? How would a cyclist have priority? Unless we change the rules of the road which means you’re now opening a whole new can of worms.
    Turning right it’s even worse as they would have to stop at the top of the junction before making the turn.

Advertisement