Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike...electronic gearing/disc brakes....

Options
  • 06-04-2018 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Cycling to work scheme has come round for me again and its time to start looking for a new bike.
    5 years ago I got a pretty basic Giant Defy 1, 105 mix , alu frame. Love it and its served me well, but I think I've improved a lot in that time and need something a bit more high end.
    I've set my self a budget of 2500-3000euro, not looking at elec gears/disc brakes soley, I'd consider mech and rim brakes on the right bike, but I think that's the way its going so might be better to go with the newer technology.
    I've never tried either so firstly, where could I get a demo? None of my friends that cycle have either so cant ask them.

I'd be looking for full carbon, with good wheels a must. I think I'd stick with Shimano too gearing -wise.
    Any recommendations on bikes/deals etc much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Personally wouldn’t lose any sleep about DI2 unless I was spending really big money but I would definitely go with disc brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

if you don't mind buying online the value in Canyon is pretty unbeatable
    however some parts are proprietary(as i recently found out , 3 week wait for a small piece of plastic!!)

https://www.canyon.com/en/road/endurace/endurace-cf-sl-disc-8-0-di2.html

https://www.canyon.com/en/road/endurace/endurace-cf-sl-disc-8-0-sl.html

Also Rose bikes do a better customization choice with more standard components

happy hunting

ps not sure your BTW scheme will allow purchase from Canyon?? seems an issue with some schemes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

C3PO wrote: »
    Personally wouldn’t lose any sleep about DI2 unless I was spending really big money but I would definitely go with disc brakes.
    Would second that.  If you are going for disc brakes then make sure they are hydraulic (not mechanical, i.e. cable operated).  Not sure if the current 105 version of the hydraulic shifters are as  'ugly' as the older ones I have, but I'd try get Ulterga if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-team-gf-four-disc-ultegra-di2/aid:2683037

https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-x-lite-cdx-ultegra-di2/aid:2685324

I have a carbon Rose Xeon with ultegra Di2 for about 2 years now. I love it - put an end to N+1 for me tbh - I don't want anything else. that specific model doesn't seem to be available anymore and prices seem to have increased.

Canyon and Rose can both do cycle to work schemes, depending on your employer. Both are excellent sources in terms of value for money i think.

Edit: just to +1 - Hydraullic discs only. I would go for cable rim brakes ahead of cable disc. Hydraullic are great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Fian wrote: »
    https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-team-gf-four-disc-ultegra-di2/aid:2683037

https://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-x-lite-cdx-ultegra-di2/aid:2685324

I have a carbon Rose Xeon with ultegra Di2 for about 2 years now. I love it - put an end to N+1 for me tbh - I don't want anything else. that specific model doesn't seem to be available anymore and prices seem to have increased.

Canyon and Rose can both do cycle to work schemes, depending on your employer. Both are excellent sources in terms of value for money i think.

Yeah, both seem way ahead in terms of value for money.
    Brother has a canyon so will probably get something else, don't wanna clash and all that!
    Do Rose or Canyon do much in green? I love that colour on a bike, Cannondale green is class and that's tempting me their way, along with the fact I rode a Synapse rental in 2016 and loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

C3PO wrote: »

Obviously disc brakes are a good decision for a commuter bike, but if the OP intends racing... under current CI rules disc brakes are not allowed.

Might be a consideration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Obviously disc brakes are a good decision for a commuter bike, but if the OP intends racing... under current CI rules disc brakes are not allowed.

Might be a consideration

Ah, the oul defy could always be dragged out for that!
    I've wanted to try a race or two for a while now, just to see where I'm at. 40 at next birthday so I guess I need to get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

@terrydel, I'm in the same position as you, with similar budget and was considering the same things - Di2 and/or Hydraulic disc brakes. I ended up ordering this from Rose.
    I did a lot of research (there may even have been a spreadsheet with rankings and colour coding), and I had it narrowed down to Rose, Dolan and Canyon. Rose gave me the most options to specify exactly what I wanted in terms of components and sizing (I'm only a little lad).

I just got an email to say it has shipped, so I haven't even sat on it yet. Only a few more sleeps to n+1 day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

(although disks on a road bike not for me)

+1....IMO they just look awful on road bikes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I have the same bike as Fian and love it as well. I'm not a fan of the looks of disc brakes on a road bike either, but they are better at stopping than rim brakes - plus you don't damage the rims.
    Di2 is much less faff than cable shifting so I'm a fan. Both my other bikes are cable (Ultegra and Tiagra/Sora) and I just can't get them to run just right yet. Di2 is easy to trim on the go if needed and the battery lasts forever.
    If I had to pick either hyd brakes or electronic shifting, I'd pick Di2 as you spend more time changing gear than slowing down, and Ultegra brakes are pretty good, especially with swissstop pads in.
    But, if you want green - I'd go for the cannondale (or buy a Rose and respray it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I have the same bike as Fian and love it as well. I'm not a fan of the looks of disc brakes on a road bike either, but they are better at stopping than rim brakes - plus you don't damage the rims.
    Di2 is much less faff than cable shifting so I'm a fan. Both my other bikes are cable (Ultegra and Tiagra/Sora) and I just can't get them to run just right yet. Di2 is easy to trim on the go if needed and the battery lasts forever.
    If I had to pick either hyd brakes or electronic shifting, I'd pick Di2 as you spend more time changing gear than slowing down, and Ultegra brakes are pretty good, especially with swissstop pads in.
    But, if you want green - I'd go for the cannondale (or buy a Rose and respray it)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

I’m not a fan either of disk brakes on road bikes but the manufacturers really are pushing them and gradually discontinuing rim brakes on a lot of their models .
    The di2 I do like though, and the latest Ultegra is really sweet having upgraded mine recently . The buttons on the hoods are great too for changing gear etc

Cannondale do an ultegra caad 12 in green in Europe which you can buy easily enough online
    Does anyone think discs will be allowed soon for road racing in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I’m not a fan either of disk brakes on road bikes but the manufacturers really are pushing them and gradually discontinuing rim brakes on a lot of their models .
    The di2 I do like though, and the latest Ultegra is really sweet having upgraded mine recently . The buttons on the hoods are great too for changing gear etc

Cannondale do an ultegra caad 12 in green in Europe which you can buy easily enough online
    Does anyone think discs will be allowed soon for road racing in Ireland ?

where did you get yours?
    I've just started looking at this as an option and it seems like a lot of the online shops don't have it in stock at the moment.

OP I have discs on my commuting hybrid and used Di2 on a rental bike last year. I have a 4 year old road bike with rim brakes and rather than replacing the bike I'm looking at upgrading the groupset to Di2.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

If you get disc make sure it’s thru axle. I have two bikes without and it’s a pain sometimes with rubbing of the pads. One being mech and one hydro I personally don’t have a preference there believe it or not. Long term I expect the mech brakes to be more maintenance but the bike is still pretty new. The three year old hydro has been trouble free

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have a Synapse with hydro discs and Di2. I'd keep the Di2 over the discs. Discs are functional but Di2 is pleasurable.

The bike is so ugly anyway that discs cannot make it look worse. :pac:

Advertisement