Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fulcrum/Campagnolo Wheel Question

Options
  • 06-04-2018 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

OK surely the amount of people who use fulcrum or campagnolo wheels must have come across this issue before. The bearing tension collar came slightly lose on the rear wheel but the screw was in a bad way and has now rounded out. Easy solution, replace the collar with a new one.

Not so easy. They are impossible to get as a spare. So has anyone ever found a replacement for a bearing load collar? From fulcrum it's €59!!!! F-that!

Alternatively does anyone have a spare they'd be willing to sell on or is anyone in the process of binning a set of fulcrums (ideally quattros) that would be willing to give me the collar part or i'd buy the entire hub as spares.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

That collar is only plastic? If it was me, I’d look for a screw ever so slightly bigger and I’d “re-tread” it.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

07Lapierre wrote: »
    That collar is only plastic? If it was me, I’d look for a screw ever so slightly bigger and I’d “re-tread” it.

Thought about that but I checked and it's not plastic. Just got an email back from a fulcrum service center in the UK. £33!!! Jesus christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

gmacww wrote: »
    Thought about that but I checked and it's not plastic. Just got an email back from a fulcrum service center in the UK. £33!!! Jesus christ!

£33 Stuff that! Humphries Cycles in Finglas are Agents for Campagnolo... go into the shop and have a look on the floor...there's bound to be a few of those little screws stuck between the floorboards! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Post a picture of what you need I through a fulcrum wheel in the bin and have another rear one Ready for the bin, As the rim is cracked ( I got the bearings changed and it cracked while truing it. )

I’m in Killiney , free to take

See photos it’s a fulcrum 7.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    See photos it’s a fulcrum 7.

Oh nice. See your 2nd picture. The rear non drive side. It's the small washer like bit with the pinch screw in it. It adjusts the load on the bearings. If you're binning it I'd love to take that part off you.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    £33 Stuff that! Humphries Cycles in Finglas are Agents for Campagnolo... go into the shop and have a look on the floor...there's bound to be a few of those little screws stuck between the floorboards! :D

Hahaha like your style.

attached part

I’ve taking it off and will drop it in the post

Back to the drawing board folks.

Ted1 very kindly posted me out the part however when it arrived at my house it was in a grey an post bag saying it had been damaged. Inside was a white envelope ripped apart and no part in it.

So here's hoping lightening can strike twice. If anyone else happens to be in the process of binning a set a fulcrum or campy wheel please give me a shout.

• Advertisement

I have an old pair of racing fives. Let me dig them out and see if this part is on them

Aegir wrote: »
    I have an old pair of racing fives. Let me dig them out and see if this part is on them

Oh sweet thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

By chance is it just the bolt that's rounded with no damage to the collar itself? If you get it out (not always the easiest task) , you may be able to find a match in a hardware shop - I've replaced a small adjusting bolt from a set of 105 brakes with one I got in Woodies - ugly but effective.

gmacww wrote: »
    Oh sweet thank you.

On mine it looks like it just has a plastic cap. I can’t see anything with an Allen screw.

I’ve compared it to the much newer Fulcrums on my bike and it is completely different I’m afraid. The old set are quite old, so they obviously changed the design.

Sorry about that.

By chance is it just the bolt that's rounded with no damage to the collar itself? If you get it out (not always the easiest task) , you may be able to find a match in a hardware shop - I've replaced a small adjusting bolt from a set of 105 brakes with one I got in Woodies - ugly but effective.

Yeah thought of that. The collar is perfectly fine. Plan was to dremel the head and use a flat screwdriver to remove the bolt. I could possibly find a replacement in woodies or b&q. Didn't want to risk it though.

I've also an adjusting bolt from a local hardware store on a 105 caliper :)
    Aegir wrote: »
    On mine it looks like it just has a plastic cap. I can’t see anything with an Allen screw.

Sorry about that.

Not to worry thanks for checking. Appreciate it.

Advertisement