Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protecting certain posters.

Options
  • 06-04-2018 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm posting this as I feel it's necessary at this stage.

There is a certain poster who I will not name who seems to be protected by mods (I'm not the only one who feels this way, there are quite a few people) in terms of the content he/she posts.

The poster has been thread-banned for soap-boxing but no further infractions occur, and anyone who challenges the soap-boxing ends up getting infractions for responding to it. It really disrupts the flow of discussion and in my opinion increases potential hostility towards the poster. They are well known throughout the forums for this soap-boxing posting style but yet they still post and from what I've seen (I've gone through their posts to see if they've accrued any yellows or reds) I cannot see any action applied to them, although I understand this does not mean no action was taken, the fact that they continue to post in such a manner without contributing towards a debate or a discussion has led people to believe that mods are lenient towards this particular individual and that thread-banning is far too soft.

If someone is constantly being booted from thread to thread for spouting the same soap-box material then it's clear that a different approach has to be taken in terms of punishment/infraction.

I also would like to highlight that I have been infracted for challenging about soap-boxing and have done my research thoroughly (or as thoroughly as I could possibly be) and cannot find any rule or charter that dictates you are not allowed to comment on soap-boxing, all I have found is that you don't soap-box. When I queried about this I received a wishy-washy non-answer in the form of "it's common sense" - well it isn't common sense, it isn't written anywhere in the guidelines and warning/carding someone for lack of knowledge on something that isn't commonly known isn't exactly fair.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Feedback

You currently have 2 dispute threads running presumably relating to this issue. Please complete the process within the DRP, and this issue can be addressed after those disputes are concluded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

What good is the DRP going to achieve in regards to this particular feedback? This is feedback, not a DRP.

It's feedback regarding moderator actions/inactions regarding a certain poster. Really don't see why this gets put on hold while I dispute why I was carded, the best scenario is essentially having those cards removed/reversed, unless actions can be taken going forward regarding other posters' actions from my DRP?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's a complaint. Complaints against mods are dealt with here. There is little point in trying to address it here while you are in a formal dispute process in connection with the same underlying issue. Otherwise you risk a scenario where two discussions on the same point head in subtly different directions resulting in confusion or misunderstanding over conclusions reached.

This is a less formal process than the DRP, and discussion here should not be potentially influencing those disputes. Once those disputes are resolved your wider point can be addressed here. In the meantime there is little point in posting further in this thread

Thanks

Right so my DRP's were useless and I got a lovely copy and paste job from Dudara about my "previous DRP" whom I've never dealt with before.

"As I said before in your earlier DRP, the DRP process deals with your posts and how you choose to respond to other posters. The mod actions applied to other posters do not come into this process. If you have problem with another poster, report it.

IMO there were clear and adequate warnings given about commenting on soapboxing. Yet you chose to comment, in violation of mod direction. Therefore I see no reason to overturn the card.

Card upheld."

Never had an interaction with dudara so clearly someone wasn't arsed following up with the complaint.

What's the point in having feedback at all? Admins very clearly don't read them and just uphold the card because it's much better to stick their fingers in their ears and go la la la lads we're all great we do a great job here.

Here is what I personally feel needs to change.

Add a "Current Affairs" section to AH with stricter moderating of posting styles (soap-boxers, flutes, trolls, etc). * by the way, whoever thought of the Current Affairs initially, that's an absolutely brilliant idea!!

Revamp/Improve the DRP process: Right now it's essentially "I will ignore all your valid points, wait for you to grovel and if you don't grovel I'm locking your thread". What's the point in having an admin review your DRP if you don't get to query with the admin? For example, I requested an admin to review my DRP and it was quite obvious they didn't bother their hole with any of my points and just closed it because it didn't suit them to keep it open and discuss. What's the point of having a "Dispute Resolution" if you can't actually dispute it properly?

Improve infraction process: This seriously needs a look into. Right now it's just so inconsistent it's beyond a joke and I know first hand so many people who are properly p1ssed at this due to being shut down over ridiculous infractions.

If any mod/admin can share light on this in particular I'd be extremely grateful to know how this makes sense.

Poster comes in soap-boxing -> people report/challenge said poster -> poster gets a mod warning (nothing else) -> poster goes quiet for a few pages then comes back in with the exact same posting style -> other posters challenge this individual -> other posters receive infractions for challenging/commenting this individuals posting style.

How on Earth is that fair? You're giving someone a warning about their posting style yet carding people who challenge/comment on that posting style? That would be like a referee in football warning (not carding someone) for tugging on your shirt, then booking you for challenging/commenting on the shirt tug in the first place? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Come on lads, I know there's a lot of work to be done but if your posters are more than willing to help improve things around here you've gotta meet us half way.

Gonna drop this in here although it won't get anywhere near the attention it deserves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement