Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Dunnes vouchers

Options
  • 06-04-2018 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

has anyone else had any problems using their Dunnes vouchers? We regularly used the €10 off €50 vouchers they gave you with your receipts.

However, last time we went they refused to honour one of them saying that it had already been scanned. Obviously, we hadn't used it because it was in my wallet the entire ten days since I had got it. We hadn't been in any Dunnes stores when they said it was used, cos we had family visiting so we knew for definite where we had been at that time.

Plus they always take them off you when you redeem them, but the manager refused to accept that as an obvious reason why we couldn't have used it previously.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or how would it even be possible for someone else to use a voucher code that we had.....does anyone know?

it was just maddening considering we've been loyal customers there for years and spent a fortune in Dunnes but it's totally put me off going back there now.
    :mad: :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

At a guess the codes are sequential and somebody has copped to that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Carley353

ED E wrote: »
    At a guess the codes are sequential and somebody has copped to that fact.

Yes, but you have to present the physical voucher for them to scan and retain....?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Receipt printers are not massively expensive if you were so minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Why didn't you leave your shopping behind they wouldn't be long sorting it out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Carley353 wrote: »
    Yes, but you have to present the physical voucher for them to scan and retain....?

Thats not a problem.

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »
    Why didn't you leave your shopping behind they wouldn't be long sorting it out then.

You would think so wouldn't you, but this manager was so unhelpful and was indifferent to whether I left the shopping or not. He really has no place working in retail.

ED E wrote: »
    Thats not a problem.

How do you mean........how could someone have got the code from our voucher to use? They don't seem to be in sequence from what I can gather.

From my experience, you always had to have an actual voucher to hand to the cashier to scan, so it would seem like a problem if don't have anything to hand over to them...?

You couldn't exactly just start calling out random 13 digit numbers to the cashier in the hope that you stumble on a correct code!? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Take the dunnes voucher to Tesco who also accept them, problem solved. I always get a bad vibe from Dunnes staff, management must be terrible to work for.

Tails142 wrote: »
    Take the dunnes voucher to Tesco who also accept them, problem solved. I always get a bad vibe from Dunnes staff, management must be terrible to work for.

Wish I had thought of that at the time but he took the voucher off me, saying he needed it 'to investigate' but then did sweet FA about it :(

I think you might be right about the Dunnes management. Since I've been telling people what happened to me, I've heard some comments that make me wonder. Shame when you're trying to support an irish company but I guess they don't feel they need to value individual customers anymore if these vouchers are getting them an increased market share.

I'll be supporting Tesco, a UK company in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Carley353 wrote:
    has anyone else had any problems using their Dunnes vouchers? We regularly used the €10 off €50 vouchers they gave you with your receipts.

Never had a problem & I use the vouchers weekly since their introduction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 cunninsu

Hi, just had the very same experience with Dunnes Stores in Ballincollig today. I was told the voucher was already used which is impossible as I had the voucher in my hand and hadn't previously used it. The manager is investigating it. I won't hold my breath. Very bad customer service indeed. I will post it on Facebook in due course. I will give it some time to heard back from them. Ridiculous behaviour. I told the manager that I should have taken it to Tesco and used it there and his reply was well you wouldn't get another voucher then. Sure what good was it to me anyway only a worthless piece of paper. Disgraceful I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cunninsu wrote: »
    I told the manager that I should have taken it to Tesco and used it there and his reply was well you wouldn't get another voucher then.
    Frightening to think such a moron could become a manager, I would have got his name and told him I was doing so and emailed it to tesco privately to expose him. He is either a moron or a lying <SNIP> -either way looks terrible.

He is making it sound like you would have been better off sticking with dunnes, spend your 50, get the voucher refused but get another voucher, which will also be potentially be refused! I would have ripped him apart, spelling it out loudly to all within earshot, I imagine the people on tills would get a good giggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Best comeback I ever heard given to a Dunnes Manager: "Could you not get the qualifications to work on the tills?"

The coupon might not have been scanning due to some of the barcode rubbing off against itself in the wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭cnoc

Never had a problem with their €10 vouchers, and have been using them from the beginning.

OU812 wrote: »
    The coupon might not have been scanning due to some of the barcode rubbing off against itself in the wallet.
    Then I expect they would have said that, it appears to have been scanned correctly and said to have been used already. If the barcode is not reading right on items in shops are usually numbers which they can input instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Usually get them off the Mother in law and use them in Tesco would not give Dunnes my money, horrible company to deal with with no customer service.

cunninsu wrote: »
    Hi, just had the very same experience with Dunnes Stores in Ballincollig today. I was told the voucher was already used which is impossible as I had the voucher in my hand and hadn't previously used it. The manager is investigating it. I won't hold my breath. Very bad customer service indeed. I will post it on Facebook in due course. I will give it some time to heard back from them. Ridiculous behaviour. I told the manager that I should have taken it to Tesco and used it there and his reply was well you wouldn't get another voucher then. Sure what good was it to me anyway only a worthless piece of paper. Disgraceful I say.

Thanks for adding your experience. Obviously what happened to me wasn't a one-off then. There's obviously some way that unused vouchers are being copied or duplicated but they don't want to broadcast that.

BTW, I got completely stonewalled with my emails until I went on Twitter and then all of a sudden their attitude changed. So all they care about is the negative publicity, not the customer's experience. Here's their response;

"...I have continued to look into your experience in Charlestown with the VALUEclub team and appreciate your patience while we did so.
    Upon looking into the voucher usage further, we can see that this may have been used by another customer in error.
    Unfortunately, this would not have been visible to the store and I apologise that this was not noted sooner for you.
    I have addressed the matter with [the manager], along with your comments regarding how you felt this was handled on the day"

I'm still waiting for my €10 back.

They've lost me as a customer either way and I used to spend A LOT there, so their loss.

Carley353 wrote: »

I'm still waiting for my €10 back.

They've lost me as a customer either way and I used to spend A LOT there, so their loss.

Over a tenner??? You're the one that's going to lose out in the long run.

Whether it's through increased petrol costs or higher prices elsewhere, it's gonna cost you more than a tenner in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

OU812 wrote:

I think Dunnes are gonna lose out more in the long run. If the person spent on average 100 euro a week in Dunnes, they miss out on over 5000 a year. All because of a measly 10 euro voucher that the couldn't be bothered honouring.

Personally I loath Dunnes and the attitude of most of the staff I encounter there. I try to avoid them as much as possible.

it's gonna cost you more than a tenner in the long run.
    could you please advise me where I can best save on shopping too?! you seem to have some mystical ability. From what they posted I would have had no idea whatsoever about that poster's location, mileage efficency of their car, what they buy, what vouchers they use etc.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    could you please advise me where I can best save on shopping too?! you seem to have some mystical ability. From what they posted I would have had no idea whatsoever about that poster's location, mileage efficency of their car, what they buy, what vouchers they use etc.

Well said rubadub ;)

In actual fact, the local Tesco is closer, has more convenient opening hours and more importantly hasn't ever accused me of trying to pass off fraudulent coupons :P

It's not the amount that matters so much, it's the way we were treated. It's very easy to be blasé about it when it wasn't you that was accused in the wrong.

Donutz wrote: »
    I think Dunnes are gonna lose out more in the long run. If the person spent on average 100 euro a week in Dunnes, they miss out on over 5000 a year. All because of a measly 10 euro voucher that the couldn't be bothered honouring.

Personally I loath Dunnes and the attitude of most of the staff I encounter there. I try to avoid them as much as possible.

Yeah, that €5,000 a year is turnover, not profit. Here’s a difference. Allowing for a very over generous 20% profit (it’s probably much closer to 5%), they’ll lose out on €1,000 from the person. However, they’ll make that many multiples over in walk-ins, impulse purchases, and specials. It’s nothing to them.

In 2017 they had a €3.7 billion turnover. So that €5,000 is just 0.000139% of their turnover.

Whereas the person’s €10 is a much greater percentage of their value. Even if they use a closer store, they’ll end up paying more in the long run as the weeks mount up.

Even at one coupon a week (personally use four a week), you’re looking at an additional €500 a year because their shopping which cost them €40 with the coupon is now €50 (or close to it) everywhere else.

because their shopping which cost them €40 with the coupon is now €50 (or close to it) everywhere else.
    depends on what you buy, as I said you seem to have some mystical power to see stuff, like petrol prices and what they buy.

I avoid dunnes as I find it more expensive. I assume this is since they have factored in the fact that a lot of people are using these vouchers, so personally I see far less discounts. I am not one to use shopping lists, I will buy what is on offer and find far less in dunnes -of course others may benefit, I fully accept that and do not presume to know how others shop, use vouchers etc. The dunnes ones are often available in sunday papers, I buy these and use in tesco.

It may be just turnover but they still need customers coming back regularly to keep their profit margins up and they're losing some by treating customers shoddily. When they know it's an internal problem on their side with their coupons, yet they're accusing customers of dishonesty? That is not on.

I had actually spent €7k in Dunnes in the previous 12 mths, which is now going to grocery stores that don't treat their customers with contempt.

OU812, You could also use the argument - is it worth it for Dunnes to lose a regular customer's turnover over a €5 or €10 coupon?

The crux of the matter is the fact that Dunnes Stores are knowingly refusing genuine customers' coupons and that's just shady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Truckermal wrote: »

My mother did this. They asked her for the receipt that accompanied the voucher. She just basically told the cashier to fcuk off and left the shop. Annoying as she’d probably spent 30 mins shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Whether it's through increased petrol costs or higher prices elsewhere, it's gonna cost you more than a tenner in the long run.

Cheaper than Lidl and Aldi? Don’t think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Yeah, that €5,000 a year is turnover, not profit. Here’s a difference. Allowing for a very over generous 20% profit (it’s probably much closer to 5%), they’ll lose out on €1,000 from the person. However, they’ll make that many multiples over in walk-ins, impulse purchases, and specials. It’s nothing to them.

In 2017 they had a €3.7 billion turnover. So that €5,000 is just 0.000139% of their turnover.

Whereas the person’s €10 is a much greater percentage of their value. Even if they use a closer store, they’ll end up paying more in the long run as the weeks mount up.

Even at one coupon a week (personally use four a week), you’re looking at an additional €500 a year because their shopping which cost them €40 with the coupon is now €50 (or close to it) everywhere else.

multiplied by how many customers by 10/20/30/40/50 yrs.

I don’t think people understand. Dunnes don’t lose anything. They want to break out of the coupon model and regret introducing them at such a high and regular level.

They leverage their suppliers for discounts and free stock and price increases that sway across the goods in store. 1c to 7c are the most common price increases across the most popular goods. They move the increases across the board of the popular goods on sale and they recoup the “discount”.

They tried getting rid of them before and everyone buggered off to Aldi that week. So they enabled them again and now they’re stuck with them.

But if they’d held out, people would have returned because they’re still cheaper than SuperValue and Tesco and the German pair don’t stock all the brands.

Cheaper than Lidl and Aldi? Don’t think so.

They’re nowhere near as inexpensive as they used to be and despite their growth still suffer from the majority of their customers completing their shop in one of the other stores due to them not holdin all the brands.

If you want a cheap wetsuit though, you won’t do better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 cunninsu

I do have the manager's name as he wore a name badge but I will give him the opportunity to investigate the matter. I said yes you will investigate but I will never hear from you again. He assured me he would phone me tomorrow. We'll see. Until then I will do nothing. Feel like sharing the news all the more now but I will hold my counsel 'til then.

Advertisement