Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Dunnes vouchers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

OU812 wrote: »
    Over a tenner??? You're the one that's going to lose out in the long run.

Whether it's through increased petrol costs or higher prices elsewhere, it's gonna cost you more than a tenner in the long run.

If they switch to aldi they'll find tye savings even after voucher calculation, to be substantial and quality of food on a par (with the new fancy dunnes) or better.

At the end of the dsy, dunnes make a similar overall profitas tesco / super valu. Not such thing as a free lunch.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

There's enough stuff in Dunnes on a par price-wise with the other supermarkets that you can get the full benefit of up to 20% saving using the vouchers. But you can't do all your shopping in Dunnes and still expect to save as they get you on certain specific things that are more expensive.

One recent example that sticks in my mind, 454g own-brand butter has been hiked by 50c to €2.69 in Dunnes but is still €2.19 elsewhere.

I'm lucky in having all the major supermarkets within ten minutes of me so I spread my shopping across a few of them over each ten day cycle depending on what's on offer in each. I was shopping in Dunnes once a week but in recent times it's once every ten days as the basket of goods I buy that's not cheaper elsewhere has diminished so would struggle to spend €50 in Dunnes every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

CeilingFly wrote: »
    If they switch to aldi they'll find tye savings even after voucher calculation, to be substantial and quality of food on a par (with the new fancy dunnes) or better.

There's very few people do their complete weekly shop in Aldi or Lidl, which means they've to go to one of the others, which at the very least costs time. There's no savings to be made there.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Carley353

I don’t think people understand. Dunnes don’t lose anything. They want to break out of the coupon model and regret introducing them at such a high and regular level.

They leverage their suppliers for discounts and free stock and price increases that sway across the goods in store. 1c to 7c are the most common price increases across the most popular goods. They move the increases across the board of the popular goods on sale and they recoup the “discount”.

They tried getting rid of them before and everyone buggered off to Aldi that week. So they enabled them again and now they’re stuck with them.

But if they’d held out, people would have returned because they’re still cheaper than SuperValue and Tesco and the German pair don’t stock all the brands.

OU812, You seem quite knowledgeable & supportive of Dunnes in general, do you work for or have connections to them? Just curious.

Carley353 wrote: »
    OU812, You seem quite knowledgeable & supportive of Dunnes in general, do you work for or have connections to them? Just curious.

Absolutely no connection with Dunnes whatsoever (apart from shopping there), However, I have an intimate knowledge of the Grocery market & coupon industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Carley353 - where a poster works is irrelevant. You may not realise it, but this kind of question is often perceived as confrontational, even if it is not meant to be.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 25,277 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I don’t think people understand. Dunnes don’t lose anything. They want to break out of the coupon model and regret introducing them at such a high and regular level.
    They leverage their suppliers for discounts and free stock and price increases that sway across the goods in store. 1c to 7c are the most common price increases across the most popular goods. They move the increases across the board of the popular goods on sale and they recoup the “discount”.
    They tried getting rid of them before and everyone buggered off to Aldi that week. So they enabled them again and now they’re stuck with them.
    But if they’d held out, people would have returned because they’re still cheaper than SuperValue and Tesco and the German pair don’t stock all the brands.
    I agree. Dunnes are holding market share but at what cost?
    Aldi&Lidl are the market price setters now, I cannot see Dunnes ever competing with them. Further, I'd add that Dunnes is horribly expensive even with that coupon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

There's very few people do their complete weekly shop in Aldi or Lidl, which means they've to go to one of the others, which at the very least costs time. There's no savings to be made there.

I'd disagree with that - very easy to do most of your shopping in aldi or lidl, particularly aldi once you are not caught up on "brands".

I pop into Tesco on an odd occasion and that would be more due to a specific offer than any specific requirement.

And that's probably the reason Dunnes have no option but to continue the system - Aldi have moved decidedly upmarket but keeping good prices. Dunnes have done the same, but have increased prices, but the €10 voucher gets people to come back and if it ends they'll see an immediate drop in sales and footfall.

However with margins in the fashion and home area very strong, the footfall to grocery is probably driving additional sales in this area, hence it probably won't end

dudara wrote: »
    @Carley353 - where a poster works is irrelevant. You may not realise it, but this kind of question is often perceived as confrontational, even if it is not meant to be.

dudara

I don't think the poster took it that way as it wasn't posed in a confrontational way. I was genuinely interested as it's obvious from reading their comments that they have a deeper knowledge than most on the subject.

Absolutely no connection with Dunnes whatsoever (apart from shopping there), However, I have an intimate knowledge of the Grocery market & coupon industry.

Yes, I see that. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that a customer will be spending more by not using the coupons.

I no longer head to Dunnes to comply with their 10-day expiry dates, and spend more than I need to in order to 'get money off'.

If you only shop when you need to and buy only what you need, you won't be sucked into the whole marketing ploy of visiting the store more often and spending more than you need.

And chances are there's probably more people who have had their coupons refused that haven't posted on here. If you were falsely accused of presenting an already used coupon (which isn't even possible when they retain them when used) would you trot back obligingly to that same store and give your hard earned cash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't think the poster took it that way as it wasn't posed in a confrontational way. I was genuinely interested as it's obvious from reading their comments that they have a deeper knowledge than most on the subject.

Other posters may interpret it that way, and it has indeed resulted in some Reported Posts. Just a note for future.

Yes, I see that. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that a customer will be spending more by not using the coupons.

Not necessarily for everyone but I certainly would be spending more without the coupons because I make sure to only buy in Dunnes stuff that isn't any cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cunninsu

To date no contact from the manager in Dunnes in Ballincollig despite his reassurance that I would be contacted yesterday having investigated the matter of the voucher. I should really know better than to believe he would actually contact me. To give him the benefit of the doubt I will wait a couple of days longer before I post the Doggy Dunnes Stores Vouchers across Facebook. I am upset really that my honesty and integrity were questioned when he told me that the voucher was already used when I know for definite that it was not.

cunninsu wrote: »
    To date no contact from the manager in Dunnes in Ballincollig despite his reassurance that I would be contacted yesterday having investigated the matter of the voucher. I should really know better than to believe he would actually contact me. To give him the benefit of the doubt I will wait a couple of days longer before I post the Doggy Dunnes Stores Vouchers across Facebook. I am upset really that my honesty and integrity were questioned when he told me that the voucher was already used when I know for definite that it was not.

That's exactly what they did with me as well. It is infuriating when you're absolutely adamant you hadn't used the voucher before. But because it's not happening to the masses Dunnes are keeping very quiet on how the hell this is being done. Probably cos it could highlight some flaw in their software or security or something else that they don't want to draw attention to.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cunninsu

Hi Carley353, I got a private message on facebook from Dunnes apologising and looking into the matter. Let's see what comes out of it.

Here's hoping. Will be interesting to see if you get any explanation on how it's happening cos they obviously know it's going on, but are trying to keep a lid on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Am I missing something here.

How could the voucher be already used if the cashier takes them off the customer ?

And despite what the admin has posted here I thought that the person who asked a fair question about whether one responder had any links to a supermarket chain was a valid one. The posts by said poster were very defensive of one particular chain and scream whataboutery.

Finally, regardless of perceived savings or not, the issue in this case is that the shopper was treated like a fraud because the chain don't have adequate security on these vouchers.

The customer, the customer, the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

How could the voucher be already used if the cashier takes them off the customer ?

self service tills?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

STB. wrote: »
    And despite what the admin has posted here I thought that the person who asked a fair question about whether one responder had any links to a supermarket chain was a valid one. The posts by said poster were very defensive of one particular chain and scream whataboutery.

It is prohibited across the entirety of boards.ie to speculate as to a posters real identity including employment

self service tills?

You can't use a voucher at a self-service till without staff assistance and they then take the voucher, the same as at a manned till.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

I would be curious as to if either cunninsu or Carley353 heard anything back from Dunnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 OnDeBanks

Tails142 wrote: »
    Take the dunnes voucher to Tesco who also accept them, problem solved. I always get a bad vibe from Dunnes staff, management must be terrible to work for.

I've been using the Dunnes vouchers in Tesco for a few months now but was told the other day that they had stopped accepting them. She said that it has been that way for a couple of weeks. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

OnDeBanks wrote: »
    I've been using the Dunnes vouchers in Tesco for a few months now but was told the other day that they had stopped accepting them. She said that it has been that way for a couple of weeks. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, they wil not accpet them in any tesco store anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

L1011 wrote: »

It is prohibited across the entirety of boards.ie to speculate as to a posters real identity including employment

In cases where there is shilling? Would it be relevant then ?

It was in relation to dudaras quick response. In any event the op answered what was a fair question about whether they were in the industry.

Nobody was asking for anybody's identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,014 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Use the Report Post function. Discussion of moderation on-thread is also disallowed across the entire site

STB. wrote: »
    The posts by said poster were very defensive of one particular chain and scream

No they weren't & feck off with your whataboutery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Here's Tesco's update on the Competitor Vouchers - couldn't understand what the operator was on about the first day she refused them https://www.tesco.ie/CompetitorCoupons/

davo2001 wrote: »
    I would be curious as to if either cunninsu or Carley353 heard anything back from Dunnes?

Well for me anyway, I heard nothing back from the store & got nowhere by contacting them via email.
    It was only when I contacted them on Twitter that they seemed to change their attitude because it was out there instead of in a private email. This was the response;

"...I have continued to look into your experience in Charlestown with the VALUEclub team and appreciate your patience while we did so.
    Upon looking into the voucher usage further, we can see that this may have been used by another customer in error.
    Unfortunately, this would not have been visible to the store and I apologise that this was not noted sooner for you.
    I have addressed the matter with [the manager], along with your comments regarding how you felt this was handled on the day"

So they must be aware how it's happening, they just weren't letting on that it was happening until it was highlighted in a public forum.

Advertisement