Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things keep breaking in AirBnB

Options
  • 06-04-2018 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi all

So, I’m in a long term AirBnb in Germany. It’s a lovely place, with a lovely landlady, but things keep breaking. I think everything looks good, but maybe the quality isn’t so great. Or else, I’m being unlucky, or else previous guests did some damage - I don’t know. But now there’s a big problem - and I’m sick of getting onto the landlady to say that something else is broken - feels like I’m breaking things in her home.

Anyway, the problem now is with a faux marble table top. It’s a heavy thing, and the corner was broken when I moved in. The thing was balancing on three edges, and then developed a crack in the middle. I - stupidly - tried to move it, and it broke in half with shards around the place. Tried to move a half, that broke even more!

It’s sitting on the ground now, all broken, and it’s stressing me out. I’ve lived for years in places without breaking so much as a glass. This is constant (shower lever broke - €200 to fix, cupboard door swung off, dishwasher won’t wash dishes, and so on).

It’s a nice place, but I’m dreading telling the landlady that a whole tabletop is broken now! Do I go on the offensive at this stage? I’m thinking of it from her position, where her things are getting broken. But also fairly sick of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Things break. They also break more when not maintained properly, the cabinet would have been loose before breaking off, the counter top was broken already but not repaired(which lead to it breaking entirely), whitegoods can and do break. Being a rental usually means higher rates of breakages, as people care less about other peoples property.

At the end of the day, you are in a business contract with your landlady. She is responsible for maintenance of the property and repairs, as long as your not negligent in your care or use of the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Snowseer

Things break. They also break more when not maintained properly, the cabinet would have been loose before breaking off, the counter top was broken already but not repaired(which lead to it breaking entirely), whitegoods can and do break. Being a rental usually means higher rates of breakages, as people care less about other peoples property.

At the end of the day, you are in a business contract with your landlady. She is responsible for maintenance of the property and repairs, as long as your not negligent in your care or use of the property.

Thank you. This was just stressing me out. I spoke with the landlady, and things are ok now. Thanks for your response.

Advertisement