Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son and daughter sharing same bedroom - what age?

Options
  • 06-04-2018 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭

A thread in the accommodation forum set me thinking about this.

Our 6 year old son and 4 year old daughter share bunk beds in the same bedroom whilst our 2 year old daughter has a small bedroom beside our bedroom so we can hear her if she wakes up at night.

Our intention was to move the two girls in together into the larger room with the bunk beds in a year or two.

Are we likely to get in trouble with their school especially as the 4 year old will be starting primary in September?, what age should kids be separated by gender at night? They all seem happy as as Larry where they are currently and I honestly think the 4 and 6 years old wouldn't take too kindly to being separated initially, and would worry about the 2 years being out of earshot (its a bungalow, the other bedroom is other end of the house from the parents one). Wondering what other parents feel?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Supercell wrote: »
    .Are we likely to get in trouble with their school especially as the 4 year old will be starting primary in September?

How would the school even know what the sleeping arrangements are???

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What business is it of the schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

You'll be fine, don't mind that poster in that thread. Plenty of brothers and sisters have shared bedrooms.

As someone else said, it has nothing to do with the school so long as the children are not at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

My niece an nephew share a room at 7 and 9 years old.

It's not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

My niece and nephew are starting to share a room now at 7 and 6 because they were dying to get bunk beds. I don’t see what the issue would be until they are either unhappy to do it or puberty hits and they may need at bit more privacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kellys-heroes-noras-19-children-celebrate-her-90th-469010.html
    They wouldn’t have had their own beds never mind their own rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks guys, you confirmed my own thoughts, maybe I'm out of touch but with the world going PC crazy I was worried that the kids mentioned it in school somehow the teachers would feel obligated to cause issues (as per the thread I linked to on the first post).
    We'll leave them where they are (very happily) for now :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

About 25.

Supercell wrote: »
    Thanks guys, you confirmed my own thoughts, maybe I'm out of touch but with the world going PC crazy I was worried that the kids mentioned it in school somehow the teachers would feel obligated to cause issues

Actually I think having the children "separated by gender" at such a young age would be more out-of-touch with the "PC craze" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

My sister and I ( I’m male) shared a bedroom with bunk beds until she was 10 and I was 8. Our mother decided that once puberty was imminent for my sister she would need her own privacy. Unless one of the children is unhappy about sharing with their sibling there is no harm.

PC culture these days makes people think that children will somehow turn into perverts or be permanently psychologically scarred if they see a family member of the opposite gender naked. Before puberty they are pretty much unaware of the sexual implications of nudity they just think the others look funny.

As for school. If your kids mention room sharing in front of a teacher I would imagine the teacher wouldn’t give a damn. Not many people can afford houses with enough rooms for all their kids. I am sure it is very common.

• Advertisement

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    PC culture these days makes people think that children will somehow turn into perverts or be permanently psychologically scarred if they see a family member of the opposite gender naked.

Really? I'd have thought the typical "PC culture" that some quarters like to bash would be more inclined towards having children of all genders mixing equally.

What if your son wants to borrow his sisters doll, or your daughter wants to play with the construction set and toy cars?

Puberty is puberty and they're going to want their privacy by then anyway, but separating them so young, based on gender, is just reinforcing the idea of boys vs girls at far too young an age.

Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I did a big revamp and gave eldest two their own rooms and they still bunk in with each other. �� they're 11 and 8 (just gone 11 mind) and I reckon let them at it cos she's nearing puberty and I reckon that will put a natural end to it. They're thick as thieves though and it is great to hear them giggling away at night or whispering when they know they should be asleep already .

Advertisement