Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NXT TakeOver: New Orleans 7-4-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Poor guy getting his crutches taken but I imagine it's a plant as you seriously can't do that

you-dont-say.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Just finished this, brilliant show again overall, my god Johnny Gargano and Tomasso Ciampa what a bloody match. A lesson in storytelling, Gargano can be a huge star on the main roster if they let him. He's got everything. The ladder match and the tag match were great too, I was a little disappointed with the women's match and Almas/Black. They were still very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I know that Gargano gets all the plaudits but jesus since that 1st match back in the Cruiserweight Classic I've loved Ciampa , such a good performer and he really came into his own as the heel in this feud

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Both of them can be huge stars on the main roster if they're not pigeon-holed into 205.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

What a well thought out show with four excellant finishes that made perfect sense and linked perfectly into the stories leading to the matches.

Exactly what a pro wrestling show should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Pretty much what I think of Johnny Wrestling as well:

https://twitter.com/reallifekaz/status/982815084824186881?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Johnny Wrestling is a amazing but Ciampa is right up there.

The opening and closing matches were top class.

Adam Cole Baby is going to be a megastar when called up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Adam Cole Baby is going to be a megastar when called up.

Agreed.

I know that Gargano gets all the plaudits but jesus since that 1st match back in the Cruiserweight Classic I've loved Ciampa , such a good performer and he really came into his own as the heel in this feud

Yeah absolutely he's been brilliant too, and can absolutely be a big deal on the main roster. I just think Johnny has the all American poster boy look that could have Vince seeing $$ if he can get over the size thing.

Agreed on Cole too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ciampa was excellent in the non wrestling stuff he did. The clapping when he sat on the ring apron after kicking gargano in the neck was brilliant. I've not heard a reaction to a heel from the crowd like that in a while. It was actual heel heat and ciampa reacted brilliantly. So yeah gargano is the best baby face on nxt but ciampa is pulling his weight on the heel side very well also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Ciampa was excellent in the non wrestling stuff he did. The clapping when he sat on the ring apron after kicking gargano in the neck was brilliant. I've not heard a reaction to a heel from the crowd like that in a while. It was actual heel heat and ciampa reacted brilliantly. So yeah gargano is the best baby face on nxt but ciampa is pulling his weight on the heel side very well also.

His facial expressions are right up there with Edge IMO. Every single thing he did lent itself to the twisted character he’s playing, especially the non-wrestling stuff. Now it’s time to see if it translates well to other feuds, I think it will but he and Johnny have such great chemistry and have built their story over a couple of years, Ciampa won’t always have that luxury and his ability to get heat in shorter, more impersonal feuds will be the true measure of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mauro was in great form.

Loved all the Superkick Party and Being the Elite.. Young Bucks comments.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ah lads what a show. How nxt is even related to WWE in terms of storytelling and booking is beyond me.

The ladder match is one I can easily see myself going back to watch again and again and as for Johnny Wrestling I would believe in anything he’s selling. He just sucks you in and you can’t help but want to see him succeed.

Great show from start to finish. Commentary was great too. I really love Nigel McGunniess in his role.

The production and booking was spot on I loved how the ref for the main event was in a nxt polo and not a ref jersey to add to the unsanction element.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

The pace of Almas vs Black was nuts. Almas is so damn good. Vega and himself are a tremendous pairing. Just an incredible show last night, the future of the business is safe in Paul's hands.

Just thinking of what's left for Gargano in NXT. He still has to get that win over Almas, and get the championship. I'd love to see them do a Gargano / Ciampa rematch somewhere down the line with the title on the line.

Ricochet was awesome in the ladder match, he makes everything look so easy, and Baszler looked like a killer.

The deserve a lot of credit but NXT is a lot easier to do than the live TV every week.

They can set out a story board, hit everything on it, protect weaknesses and emphasise strengths, it is a differant world tbh.

It is great for fans to have that now with the network, it is like New Japan in a WWE world.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Excellent show, but Johnny White Meat pissed me right off at the end with his sit down next to Ciampa, maybe we will make amends. FFS this was a blood fued.

The title match took a while to get going but when it did was brilliant.

The ladder match was insane.

Loved Roddys heel turn. I also hate Pete Dunnes face.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

bot43 wrote: »
    Excellent show, but Johnny White Meat pissed me right off at the end with his sit down next to Ciampa, maybe we will make amends. FFS this was a blood fued.

The title match took a while to get going but when it did was brilliant.

The ladder match was insane.

Loved Roddys heel turn. I also hate Pete Dunnes face.

Ah that spot was great, Johnnys the face and every good honest good guy has that shred of compassion. Its what makes Johnny a top face. It was a blood feud, but Johnny isnt the killer Ciampa is. It was the perfect ending IMO.

Johnny Gargano can be bigger than Daniel Bryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I took the spot as Gargano being wise to Ciampa's backstabbing. Kind of a double bluff.

I thought it was a call back to the cruiserweight classic bout

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4wfbe0

See very end

• Advertisement

Meltzer gave both the ladder match and Gargano/Ciampa five stars. Must be a while since a WWE event got two five star ratings from him. Would have gone 4.5 on the ladder match myself even if just to show how good Gargano/Ciampa was.

Pentecost wrote: »
    Meltzer gave both the ladder match and Gargano/Ciampa five stars. Must be a while since a WWE event got two five star ratings from him. Would have gone 4.5 on the ladder match myself even if just to show how good Gargano/Ciampa was.

I enjoyed the ladder match, but it had no real story going into it and thus I would rate it about 4 stars. Gargano v Ciampa was epic, a perfect match.

Lars Sullivan has a 5 star match under his belt and nothing else accomplishment wise. Velveteen Dream is only 22 and has one. EC3, who isn't a phenomenal in-ring wrestler really, has a 5 star match. Daniel Bryan has none.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Lars Sullivan has a 5 star match under his belt and nothing else accomplishment wise. Velveteen Dream is only 22 and has one. EC3, who isn't a phenomenal in-ring wrestler really, has a 5 star match. Daniel Bryan has none.

On comparison, Id rather Daniels Mania 30 match than the ladder match. I really enjoyed the ladder match but it wasnt that good.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    On comparison, Id rather Daniels Mania 30 match than the ladder match. I really enjoyed the ladder match but it wasnt that good.

Agreed. The WM30 match (actually two matches, he fought HHH in the opener) had possibly the best storyline arc and pay off ever in it. That's supposed to be a factor in these ratings I thought, as well as the stage the bout is on and prestige. I mean, it's a Unified World Heavyweight Championship match in the main event of WrestleMania with absolutely everyone invested organically. The ladder match had none of that. Had two debuting wrestlers so not much build up, had a debuting secondary title and it lacked any real storyline outside of Dain and Sullivan and that wasn't deep itself. Having said that, I really like the ladder match.

In WWE or in general?

Remember, these stars are simply Meltzers opinion.

Daniel Bryan, or Brian Danielson has had numerous 5 star matches in ROH between 2005 - 2008 in my opinion. If Metlzer doesnt award them as such that is no slight on the matches. DBs record for absolute top quality is utterly peerless.

In WWE or in general?

Daniel Bryan, or Brian Danielson has had numerous 5 star matches in ROH between 2005 - 2008 in my opinion. If Metlzer doesnt award them as such that is no slight on the matches. DBs record for absolute top quality is utterly peerless.

Yeah Davey never gave Bryan 5 stars, plenty of 4.5/ 4.75 but no 5.

But yeah its his opinion, its not gospel.

I know. If you look at the post above you'll see me agreeing with beakerjoe's assessment of the DB match at Mania 30. People, for whatever reason, seem to see the Observer 5 Star match as an accolade in some circles. When Taker vs Michaels didn't get it back in 2009, I just figured auld Meltz has a hard time giving WWE bouts the full monty. It's all meaningless anyway, what with 6.25 Star matches and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Gargano has two five star matches in back to back PPV's

Johnny F'n Wrestling indeed.

• Advertisement

Ya, just look through his ratings now and there are a number of 4.75s.

Looking at his "fight of the century" with Samoa Joe - best match I have ever seen I reckon, his war with Morishima, his clinic with KENTA not to mention a fe w of his McGuiness Matches and Aries matches.

Thats insane that none have gotten the accolade. But Meltzer does love a high paced spot fest.

Again, not that it maters a damn
    I know. If you look at the post above you'll see me agreeing with beakerjoe's assessment of the DB match at Mania 30.

FWIW, i missed that while posting my own.

Advertisement