Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with upgrading old Dell PC

Options
  • 06-04-2018 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello Everyone,

I am coming here with very little understanding on the Hardware side of things.

I am looking to upgrade an old PC that I have had for about 10 years.

Image of specs here: www. ibb .co/c0No2H

Here is also a 1 min video tour of the mother board: www. youtube .com/watch?v=KQbh-YQiVZ8&t=49s

(Sorry for the spacing but I am a new user so I cant post Links)

I don't expect anything spectacular , I want to use it as a media center PC and run some games off of it. I am not looking for 4k ultra settings by any means, just run a few indie games and maybe some last gen games.

I am thinking I will have to upgrade the RAM, Video Card, Power Supply and Hard Drive

My budget for the lot would be around 200 euro but I am flexible if it would be worth some extra investment.

So I have some questions to ask a group of people far more knowledgeable than me:

1. Is this a lost cause? Would I be better off just not bothering with this project? Am I being too ambitious putting that much cash into such an old piece of tech?

2. Should I be looking at 2nd hand products? (like on adverts and E-bay)

3. If this project is viable where should I focus the money? (I'm guessing on the HDD and Graphics Card, Followed by RAM)

4.Any advice on Graphics Cards? This would be the area I am least knowledgeable in and I am wondering at what point would I start getting diminishing returns with such an old rig.

Thanks for all your time folks!

Comments

Advertisement