Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Saturday Collection

Options
  • 06-04-2018 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I know the post offices (the one near me anyway) are open on Saturday mornings but are there collections? If there are saturday collections will a letter (dublin to dublin) be delivered on monday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

JacenSolo wrote: »
    I know the post offices (the one near me anyway) are open on Saturday mornings but are there collections? If there are saturday collections will a letter (dublin to dublin) be delivered on monday?

Some boxes will be collected at the weekend, ones at GPO used to be, not sure if it would get delivered on monday. Collections times always on the Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some boxes will be collected at the weekend, ones at GPO used to be, not sure if it would get delivered on monday. Collections times always on the Box.

GPO even has collections on Sunday but its rather hard to find anything about what, if any, sorting occurs on weekends.

For things where posting date is critical the weekend post office openings definitely suit. However relying on next-working-day delivery for normal post is never a good idea in the first place - its a target not a guarantee.

Express Post and Same-Day for Dublin only exist if that is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Nope - whilst offices are open on Saturday and selcted parcel deliveries are made on Saturday, no post distribution takes place.

The only possibility is to drop it to the mails centre on oak Road, clondalkin - but you'd need to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Absoutely not. Post posted after the last time of posted in scheduled for arrival on the second working day i.e the Tuesday. It might be collected but will sit there. This is cleat on all notices...I wrote them!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

amtc wrote: »
    Absoutely not. Post posted after the last time of posted in scheduled for arrival on the second working day i.e the Tuesday. It might be collected but will sit there. This is cleat on all notices...I wrote them!

Making sense of your post ....
    amtc wrote: »
    Absoutely not. Post posted after the last time of posting is scheduled for arrival on the second working day i.e the Tuesday. It might be collected but will sit there. This is clear on all notices...I wrote them!

Three typos in a two-line post. And you write the official notices. No wonder people are confused about the service :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This was the ComReg approved wording!

And my other claim to fame...such as it is...is that I sent them into Fair City for their postbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I remember when there used to be a late collection from specific post boxes. If you lived in the suburbs for example, you'd have made it your business to know where you could post a letter late in the day - say up to 9 p.m. and it would be collected that evening. Nowadays, even the postbox outside the D.18 An Post sorting office on Ballyogan Road is collected at 17:30 Mon-Fri and that's it so the service is no better than from any postbox.

If you lived down the country near a mainline railway station and you missed the last collection from the local post office, your absolute last chance was to leg it down to the railway station if you knew when the mail train was due and you could post a letter in a mail slot on the side of the mail wagon for a supplemental charge (an extra stamp) of a ha'penny.

Mail trains long gone! Nice documentary on it though available.

The ComReg decision is that there should be a collection point at 5.30 as close to the commercial centre of a town (defined as 2k people). Some collections elsewhere are much earlier. Business collections are 4pm latest.

There is a scanning tool to which mails operations managers view daily.

Oh there are still late collections at the mail centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 saltycarol

Have just been informed by Castlerea post office that there are no Saturday collections anywhere in Ireland. Also, I'm sure we all know there are no Saturday deliveries either! Pretty grim I'd say.

Advertisement