Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red brick renovation cost

Options
  • 07-04-2018 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there

I’ve gone sale agreed on a red brick 1900s 3 bed terraced house near Stonybatter. It’s 117sqm and It needs significant refurbishment. I just completed a building survey which outlines what is required but the survey does not give any indication of the cost involved. The surveyor has given a very rough overall outline figure

The main issues are
    No heating system fitted
    Complete rewire
    Plumbing upgrade
    Extensive rising damp
    Active woodoworm
    Small flat room on extension 7sqm which is leaking and needs repair or replacement
    Ceilings in 3 rooms need to be replaced
    New kitchen
    New bathroom

The house has not been lived in for 10 years

Would anybody know roughly what the cost of this project might be or could send me details of a builder who might be able to come and view the house and price it for me.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

by your description this could be an entire removal to just walls and rebuild from there. Your in Dublin.. 100 - 300k

• Registered Users Posts: 3 faheyja

Thanks Bryan. The house itself is for the most part structurally sound. I guess it’s not really logical for someone to quote a price here. What I would like to know is how do you go about pricing something like this. Do you ring a builder and ask them to call out and quote you a price? Is there a fee?
    It seems unfair to ask someone to call out and quote a price for work on a property for free ...given at this stage I don’t even own the house yet!

The problem is that although I know what work is to be done, I don’t know how much the cost will be so I don’t know if I can afford to go ahead with the purchase.

Any advise or what to do next?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Quanity surveyor

Advertisement