Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick nursing homes

• 07-04-2018 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Does anyone have a relative in a nursing home in or near Limerick City? I’d be very grateful if any recommendations or advice even on where to avoid. I’m looking up hiqa reports etc but it would really help to have first hand experiences and then I can start visiting them so we can pick somewhere. Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Moved to the Limerick forum. Please read the local charter before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

How close does it have to be? I have a relative in Beech lodge, Bruree and I can't recommend them enough :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    How close does it have to be? I have a relative in Beech lodge, Bruree and I can't recommend them enough :)

Beech Lodge also own the 2 mile Inn nursing home, due to open in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭LMK

First hand experience of Thorpes in Clarina.
    Staff are kind, and management will take any concerns on board, we spent a lot of time with our relative there because of the nature of their illness, IMO they could do with more staff coverage, predominately female patients.
    From time to time some dementia patients would arrive and would be difficult to control, initially that concerned us because the atmosphere is calm normally but those patients would not be there long before moving, not sure to where.
    Its location is nearby to a lot of our Family so we selected it initially for that reason but we didn't have any reason to change so I would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Aadamar

LMK wrote: »
    First hand experience of Thorpes in Clarina.
    Staff are kind, and management will take any concerns on board, we spent a lot of time with our relative there because of the nature of their illness, IMO they could do with more staff coverage, predominately female patients.
    From time to time some dementia patients would arrive and would be difficult to control, initially that concerned us because the atmosphere is calm normally but those patients would not be there long before moving, not sure to where.
    Its location is nearby to a lot of our Family so we selected it initially for that reason but we didn't have any reason to change so I would recommend it.

Thanks so much. I’ll definitely look into that one. First hand opinions are great to hear, it’s very confusing looking things up online etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 charleshardin

I too have had first-hand experience of Thorpes in Clarina, which is a few miles outside Limerick.

It was excellent - very friendly, very flexible, and very well run.

I have also heard good reports about Riverdale House Nursing Home which is in Ardnacrusha (also a bit outside the city).

Both are (or were then anyway), family-run nursing homes.

The thing to do is what I did - visit them all unannounced, and see how you are received when you arrive.

If you feel that you are even slightly unwelcome as a visitor (and frankly I did in one or two), then imagine what it might be like to be a resident.

The HIQA reports are excellent guidelines, but they are only that. You really need to visit - and perhaps visit more than once - to get the feel of a place.

To do what you are now doing is a heavy burden - I know I had to do it once - so I can only wish you every good luck wirh your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Aadamar

I too have had first-hand experience of Thorpes in Clarina, which is a few miles outside Limerick.

It was excellent - very friendly, very flexible, and very well run.

I have also heard good reports about Riverdale House Nursing Home which is in Ardnacrusha (also a bit outside the city).

Both are (or were then anyway), family-run nursing homes.

The thing to do is what I did - visit them all unannounced, and see how you are received when you arrive.

If you feel that you are even slightly unwelcome as a visitor (and frankly I did in one or two), then imagine what it might be like to be a resident.

The HIQA reports are excellent guidelines, but they are only that. You really need to visit - and perhaps visit more than once - to get the feel of a place.

To do what you are now doing is a heavy burden - I know I had to do it once - so I can only wish you every good luck wirh your search.

Thank you, that’s great advice, really appreciate your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Beechwood House is in a lovely setting in Newcastlewest, my grandad, gran-aunt & gran-uncle stayed here and its very modern inside and very comfortable. The staff are very nice too. http://www.beechwoodhouse.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

Milford is often overlooked as it has a hospice but it also has other care facilities and the nursing home is excellent.

Advertisement