Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexican Salsa Verde

• 07-04-2018 1:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭

Hello all. I didn't know that there is a food thread on Boards.

I wonder has anyone here cooked Mexican salsa verde?
    If so, have you used Ancho chillies in it.
    I usually use Serrano chillies, but am out of them at the moment. The Anchos are quite bitter and might not compliment the salsa verde.
    I can get the Jalapenos at the local store, and would rather use them if the Anchos are not a good choice.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Welcome to the Food Forum :)

I've moved this to the main forum (The Cooking Club is a subforum) and given it a tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

In case anyone is interested - I used the ancho chillies ( which actually are dried poblano - I didn't know that) and the salsa verde turned out magnificently. Served with homemade corn tortillas, and homemade black bean frijoles with chopped raw onion and tomato and jalapenos ( and the lovely salsa verde) it was delicious. Yum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That sounds amazing. I'm not sure I'd even know the difference between the different chillies, but I'm a real lightweight anyway so the milder the better fro me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I like hot chilies, but to be honest the salsa verde wasn't extreme. Or perhaps I have a high tolerance for hotness.
    Someone who knows Mexican food well, and is a chef from Mexico told me that what I had really couldn't be called true salsa verde, because the ancho chilies are brown. But it still looks pretty green. Maybe i've created a new dish:).
    Just kidding. Anyway I enjoyed it a lot and have a good supply in the freezer.

Advertisement