Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowers to grow on an inside windowsill

Options
  • 07-04-2018 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi friends,

I've a bedroom with a small windowsill that gets a lot of light... I'd like to put some small pots on the sill and grow something to brighten the room further.

Any suggestions for a small plant with bright flowers that will last the spring/summer at least? I don't know would plants such as pansy's grow inside if they are getting light through a window?

Thanks,
    Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

The Crown of Thorns plants is small and easy to care for - will bloom regularly if on a sunny window

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/crown-of-thorns/crown-of-thorns-houseplant.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Plants that are normally grown outside tend not to do well indoors. You need plants that are sold as house plants.

Orchids do well on window ledges, flower for ages and are easy to care for.
    Calceoaria https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/calceolaria/growing-pocketbook-plants.htm are colourful and do well indoors.
    Anthuriums keep their flowers for ages, though I am not sure about having them on a window ledge. They don't seem to need as much light as many plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

Interesting, thanks. I would have thought there would be more plants that would suit a bright window, but seems the indoor ones don't appreciate the direct light.

Out of interest I bought a couple of Spirepose Sprout bags (one cornflower, and one lathyrus). I was fairly skeptical, but two weeks in they're looking good.

Advertisement