Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

photinia (red robin) damaged in bad weather

Options
  • 07-04-2018 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

I have a number of 'standard' red robin trees in the front of the house, in a border mixed with other trees. They are all on a 'stem' of around 1.2 meters. The soil was freshly introduced around 2 years ago when the planting was done.

The heavy snow has taken its toll on the red robin. See the attached pictures. I am wondering will a good prune back and fertiliser sort the issue out, or are they likely to recover to their original glory?

Also, the 'standard' ball shape of them is being lost due to the irregular growth patterns. I have pruned them back last year, but I am not sure it made much difference. The growth is not strong enough in the middle of them. Any thoughts on how I can address this?

The aim is to have a number of 'standard' balls on around 1.2-1.5m stems around the front section. The other trees are doing perfectly, but the red robin are struggling. Should I just bite the bullet and replace them with something different or any ideas on how I can repair them in the space of 1-2 years

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd leave them be and see how they reshoot. Pick off fully brown leaves or trim dried stems if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

I've had the same problem here, my photinia hedge is croaking it after being literally buried in snow
    I've followes RHS advice, given them a bit of fertilizer, and I'm hoping for fresh growth this summer
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=145#section-5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

...Also, the 'standard' ball shape of them is being lost due to the irregular growth patterns.

It is just that the "standard" ball shape is not standard and the irregular growth patterns are more regular for Photinia.

It's nature is to grow fast with multi stems into large shrub/small tree.

To maintain it as a 1.2m "standard" is going to take time and hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

Thanks for the advice - I will give a good feed and prune and see what happens with them over the summer
    GrumpyMe wrote: »
    To maintain it as a 1.2m "standard" is going to take time and hard work.

Might need to consider taking them up at some stage so - not sure I have that much time or patience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Photonia doesn't want to be a ball, it wants to be a bush.

So if you can't be bothered with futile topiary...

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/photinia/rejuvenating-red-tip-photinia.htm

"The easiest method of photinia rejuvenation is to cut back the entire shrub at one time. Photinia tolerates cutting back to about 6 inches above the ground"

From good roots it'll regrow much faster than a new plant.

Or it'll die and you can replace it with something more naturally hedgey.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Photonia doesn't want to be a ball, it wants to be a bush.

So if you can't be bothered with futile topiary...

Or it'll die and you can replace it with something more naturally hedgey.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there. The plant does not naturally want to be a ball and therefore will take a lot of work to try and keep it one. However, it does look very good as a ball, or at least it did when I bought it !

Its not I cannot be bothered - its more to do with time. The idea of the front is that it is low maintenance, and topiary is hardly classified as that.

We are not going for the hedgey look - but more offering some structure and height to the front without the use of a formal hedge. The 'ball' look went well while it held.

Anyway, I have a job for a few weeks time and see how it looks after it. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Its not I cannot be bothered - its more to do with time. The idea of the front is that it is low maintenance, and topiary is hardly classified as that.
    Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound derogatory, more in the sense of "who can be bothered".

I guess garden centres sell those ball shaped photonia standards because they look nice at time of sale.

edit: or maybe if they're kept in pots the root restriction keeps them under control.

Lumen wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound derogatory, more in the sense of "who can be bothered".

No offence taken - the point is well made, even if not the way you intended to be !

And yes, maybe it pots they work well but in the ground with new top soil, it is a challenge to say the least !

Advertisement