Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next runner recommendations

Options
  • 07-04-2018 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi,

I am using Cumulus15s at the moment but they are showing their age as I have them 3 years and was hoping to get some suggestions for a replacement. I am a neutral runner according to an analysis completed about 5 years ago. Before the cumulus I had puma ventis 2s and liked these also.

In terms of distances I do 5 and 10ks and hope for a pb for the 5k this year. It is currently 21.09 but hope to go sub 20. Longer term I hope to do a sub 40 10k though as am 42 now this may be wishful thinking. It is currently 43:40. For training I do 3-4 runs a week from 5 to 8 Kms each.

Thanks,
    Lastbuilders

Comments

if you wanted to go for something lighter and faster but still with a lot of cushioning and suitable for both training and racing could consider

Saucony Kinvara

I'd imagine that they would give you some time improvement over the Cumulus

think that the current model is 9 but you may get a better deal on 7 or 8 (or even 6 if still around) which wouldn't be hugely different.

https://pricespy.co.uk/?s=kinvara

review (there are better colour options than one in review lol)

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2017/04/saucony-kinvara-8-review/

they are flatter (less drop in height from the heel to the toe) than the cumulus but I've never really heard anyone have a problem with this. only when you go to really totally flat shoes (near 0 mm drop) do you enter into the territory of real adjustment being needed.

basically is a long-established shoe that's a true all-rounder (suitable from fast to slow running), of which there aren't many such shoes. there are very few shoes that are plush in terms of cushioning but also have a responsive feel that allows you to go fast when you want to (e.g. going for a pb)

latest model video review
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQZIToOTFLQ

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Thanks,

Looking at some reviews the Adidas Ultraboost seem like the best around though very expensive. I will try the kinvara and see how they feel.

Lastbuilders
    glasso wrote: »
    if you wanted to go for something lighter and faster but still with a lot of cushioning and suitable for both training and racing could consider

Saucony Kinvara

I'd imagine that they would give you some time improvement over the Cumulus

think that the current model is 9 but you may get a better deal on 7 or 8 (or even 6 if still around) which wouldn't be hugely different.

https://pricespy.co.uk/?s=kinvara

review (there are better colour options than one in review lol)

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2017/04/saucony-kinvara-8-review/

they are flatter (less drop in height from the heel to the toe) than the cumulus but I've never really heard anyone have a problem with this. only when you go to really totally flat shoes (near 0 mm drop) do you enter into the territory of real adjustment being needed.

basically is a long-established shoe that's a true all-rounder (suitable from fast to slow running), of which there aren't many such shoes. there are very few shoes that are plush in terms of cushioning but also have a responsive feel that allows you to go fast when you want to (e.g. going for a pb)

latest model video review
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQZIToOTFLQ

the ultraboost are nearly 3 ounces heavier (pretty much 40%) per shoe than the kinvara and far less responsive.
    you'd be way faster in the kinvara imo.
    and yet cushioned.
    the ultraboost would probably last a bit longer in terms of miles durability of the cushioning but it won't help improve your time.
    you'd pick up 2 pairs of kinvara for €180. I wouldn't say that the ultraboost are well reviewed either.

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2016/02/adidas-ultra-boost-review/

it really is a revelation the first time you try out lighter and more responsive shoes.
    in the case of the Kinvara they are very cushioned though also so you have the best of both worlds pretty much.

Thanks glasso,

Will try the kinvara though maybe after the GIR This weekend.

Lastbuilders
    the ultraboost are nearly 3 ounces heavier (pretty much 40%) per shoe than the kinvara and far less responsive.
    you'd be way faster in the kinvara imo.
    and yet cushioned.
    the ultraboost would probably last a bit longer in terms of miles durability of the cushioning but it won't help improve your time.
    you'd pick up 2 pairs of kinvara for €180. I wouldn't say that the ultraboost are well reviewed either.

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2016/02/adidas-ultra-boost-review/

it really is a revelation the first time you try out lighter and more responsive shoes.
    in the case of the Kinvara they are very cushioned though also so you have the best of both worlds pretty much.

Thanks glasso,

Will try the kinvara though maybe after the GIR This weekend.

Lastbuilders

you'd run the GIR faster tho :)

although it is certainly not the best 10k for a good time. too hilly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

You could look at the NB 1400v5 also.
    220 ish gms for a UK size 10, 10mm drop, 3D upper.
    It's my go to shoe now and several running friends have also moved to it.
    It's light, has a reasonable amount of cushioning, good grip, solid transition and is very comfortable and quite, easily recommend from 5k to Marathon (depending on how efficient you are).

You can usually pick up for between £50 - £70 if you keep your eyes peeled.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    You could look at the NB 1400v5 also.
    220 ish gms for a UK size 10, 10mm drop, 3D upper.
    It's my go to shoe now and several running friends have also moved to it.
    It's light, has a reasonable amount of cushioning, good grip, solid transition and is very comfortable and quite, easily recommend from 5k to Marathon (depending on how efficient you are).

You can usually pick up for between £50 - £70 if you keep your eyes peeled.

probably not enough cushioning for him tho coming from a cumulus imo and he's only looking to have 1 shoe for training and events, not a dedicated racing shoe.
    I've had both and the kinvara is a lot plusher in terms of cushioning than the new balance 1400

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Brooks Launch 5 might be a good move from the cumulus. 10mm drop, ~250g and plenty of cushioning.

IMO going from cumulus to a kinvara or NB 1400 would be a big drop in cushioning. Launch more half way between.

Brooks Launch 5 might be a good move from the cumulus. 10mm drop, ~250g and plenty of cushioning.

IMO going from cumulus to a kinvara or NB 1400 would be a big drop in cushioning. Launch more half way between.

the kinvara has a lot of cushion for the weight- have you ever owned a pair?
    the launch is more of the side of "training shoe" only I would say (just going from reviews) rather than an all-rounder.

Ha yeah of course I’ve owned a pair or I wouldn’t be giving advice on it. Have had the Kinvara 3, 6 and 8.

Its like you say, it has a lot of cushion for the weight. But not a lot of cushion compared to cumulus which the OP currently wears.

Launch (which I also own :)) are more of a middle ground as I said.

• Advertisement

Ha yeah of course I’ve owned a pair or I wouldn’t be giving advice on it. Have had the Kinvara 3, 6 and 8.

Its like you say, it has a lot of cushion for the weight. But not a lot of cushion compared to cumulus which the OP currently wears.

Launch (which I also own :)) are more of a middle ground as I said.

fair enough. the reason I recommended it for the op is

1. he'll only own one shoe for training and events (all-rounder shoe)
    2. he is talking about reducing his time (lighter and more responsive shoe helps here)
    3. I'd consider the kinvara to be enough cushioning for someone coming form a cumulus to not notice big deficit (as opposed to more of a racing shoe like say nb 1400). apparently with the kinvara 8 and 9 the cushion has been upped again from previous versions. and the 9 has a much improved upper apparently.
    http://www.roadtrailrun.com/2018/03/saucony-kinvara-9-review-at-long-last-k.html

fair enough. the reason I recommended it for the op is

1. he'll only own one shoe for training and events (all-rounder shoe)
    2. he is talking about reducing his time (lighter and more responsive shoe helps here)
    3. I'd consider the kinvara to be enough cushioning for someone coming form a cumulus to not notice big deficit (as opposed to more of a racing shoe like say nb 1400). apparently with the kinvara 8 and 9 the cushion has been upped again from previous versions. and the 9 has a much improved upper apparently.
    http://www.roadtrailrun.com/2018/03/saucony-kinvara-9-review-at-long-last-k.html

Yeah all valid points and the cushioning is kind of a personal preference too so hard to compare between people. Cumulus is 315g so either Launch or Kinvara would be a big drop in weight.

The Kinvara being a 4mm drop as opposed to the 10mm in the cumulus is a factor. I have know people to have achilles problems when dropping down too far too fast.

@OP - was in base2race in ballymount the other day and they have the Launch 5 and Kinvara 9 in stock if you wanted to try them out

Yeah all valid points and the cushioning is kind of a personal preference too so hard to compare between people. Cumulus is 315g so either Launch or Kinvara would be a big drop in weight.

The Kinvara being a 4mm drop as opposed to the 10mm in the cumulus is a factor. I have know people to have achilles problems when dropping down too far too fast.

@OP - was in base2race in ballymount the other day and they have the Launch 5 and Kinvara 9 in stock if you wanted to try them out

I did mention the drop earlier - personally I think that the kinvara is ok in this regard but it is possible that someone could not like it.

it's weight and response - I don't have the launch as you do but not sure how much it would offer the op for event time reduction on the response side- you could better judge that having owned both.

Thanks glasso,

Ordered from sports shoes.com. Was thinking a pb this weekend was unlikely as I know the hills after 5k too well. I am hoping the duleek 10k might work as got pb of 43:40 there a few years ago. Main goal is sub 20 5k this year at the grant Thornton 5k in Dublin in September so hopefully these will help. As am over 40 now chances of it are less every year but I can still hope :).
    Thanks
    Lastbuilders
    you'd run the GIR faster tho :)

although it is certainly not the best 10k for a good time. too hilly.

Thanks glasso and WayneEnterprise for all the advice. I tried the kinvara 8 and 9 in local b+m shop and felt great. Will know later if it is sub 40 great :).

Lastbuilders

Thanks glasso,

Ordered from sports shoes.com. Was thinking a pb this weekend was unlikely as I know the hills after 5k too well. I am hoping the duleek 10k might work as got pb of 43:40 there a few years ago. Main goal is sub 20 5k this year at the grant Thornton 5k in Dublin in September so hopefully these will help. As am over 40 now chances of it are less every year but I can still hope :).
    Thanks
    Lastbuilders

good luck with them. I'm sure that you'll notice an increase in possible speed due to the lightness and the increased responsiveness over the cumulus.
    if you're looking to improve your times you might look at including intervals into your runs. you don't need a track for this but a gps watch would help.
    e.g. do 800m and 400m intervals of speed during your runs (with walking recovery sessions of 30 seconds or a minute). if you google interval training you'll get the info you need.

Thanks glasso and WayneEnterprise for all the advice. I tried the kinvara 8 and 9 in local b+m shop and felt great. Will know later if it is sub 40 great :).

Lastbuilders

Great stuff, best of luck with the PB!

report back to say how you found them after a few runs.

Thanks Glasso,

I plan to include intervals after the GIR this weekend as have a track close by I can use. I use a vivoactive HR which I really like and plan to use for the interval work ok.

Lastbuilders
    good luck with them. I'm sure that you'll notice an increase in possible speed due to the lightness and the increased responsiveness over the cumulus.
    if you're looking to improve your times you might look at including intervals into your runs. you don't need a track for this but a gps watch would help.
    e.g. do 800m and 400m intervals of speed during your runs (with walking recovery sessions of 30 seconds or a minute). if you google interval training you'll get the info you need.

Thanks again glasso and WayneEnterprise. I have done a few training runs and the runners feel great. It has also helped drop some time off my runs so to 20min 5k seems bit more achievable.

Lastbuilders

• Advertisement

Update on progress. Did the gt5k in Dublin on Wednesday with the new runners and though I got drenched completed in 20:10 so very happy. The race was 5.1 on my watch and Strava is giving me 19:49 for the 5k so I wonder can I set that as my pb :)

Thanks glasso and wayneenterprise.

Lastbuilders

good to hear that they are working well for you.

a pb is personal so you can count it if you want!

Advertisement