Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying in Australia

Options
  • 07-04-2018 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm planning to study a IT diploma through TAFE in Australia. I don't qualify for any other visas apart from a student one so I thought something like this would help me secure a job somehow. Has anyone any experience studying in Australia and would like to share their story?
    TAFE is a lot cheaper than mainstream universities. fees are 6000 dollar a semester which is quite reasonable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Have you checked if that $6000 is for Australian citizens or for International students? TAFE can be upwards of $11K a semester for courses I've looked at at international student rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

TAFE would be the equivalent of Plc courses in Ireland, if you're happy with that value for money. University degrees are reassuringly expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

TAFE would be the equivalent of Plc courses in Ireland, if you're happy with that value for money. University degrees are reassuringly expensive
    TAFEs offer a range of qualifications, from Certificates through Diplomas, Advanced Diplomas and up to degree-level awards and postgraduate diplomas. What distinguishes a TAFE is not any cap on the level of awards it can make, but the vocational focus of its courses. For something like an IT Diploma, there's no need for anyone to turn their noses up at a TAFE qualification.

But pete4130 is right. TAFEs, like universities, charge different and much higher fees to non-resident students, and in fact this is a significant source of funds for them. The OP should definitely check whether he qualifies for the resident students fee and, if not, what the non-resident fee would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Peregrinus wrote: »
    TAFEs offer a range of qualifications, from Certificates through Diplomas, Advanced Diplomas and up to degree-level awards and postgraduate diplomas.  What distinguishes a TAFE is not any cap on the level of awards it can make, but the vocational focus of its courses.  For something like an IT Diploma, there's no need for anyone to turn their noses up at a TAFE qualification.

But pete4130 is right.  TAFEs, like universities, charge different and much higher fees to non-resident students, and in fact this is a significant source of funds for them.  The OP should definitely check whether he qualifies for the resident students fee and, if not, what the non-resident fee would be.
    I'm guessing as he can only apply for a student one then they're more than likely non resident.

Advertisement