Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Sub -20 5K - breakthrough advice!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pinkles

Thanks again for the advice.
    So i have done my Mile Repeats as its 10 days till the race.
    Would it be OK to do the 4 mile tempo on Saturday or Sunday to replace my usual long run on a Sunday
    .ie 6 or 7 days before race?

I will definitely take it easier on race week and do some 400 reps.
    Advice much appreciated.

pac_man wrote: »
    No. I wouldn't be doing that mile repeat session 4 days before a race. It's a tough session and would leave me feeling tired. I'd personally want to be doing that session around 10 days out from your goal race. If you can break that sub 20 four days after that session, it's probably an indication that you can go faster as you'd probably still be carrying some residual fatigue. You'd want to be mentally and physically fresh on the starting line.

In terms of the last session before the race run, I wouldn't be going too mad. You've gained the fitness and adaptions from your previous sessions and this session would be to maintain sharpness. I'd throw in a couple of 400 meter repeats at no faster than race pace. If you're doing the parkrun on the Saturday, I'd be doing this on the Monday/Tuesday. Keep your legs fresh as possible for the race run.

Take my two cents with a pinch of salt as I know this works for me. Not sure what part of the country you are in but If you're in Dublin, St Annes is a good Parkrun for a fast time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

pinkles wrote: »
    Thanks again for the advice.
    So i have done my Mile Repeats as its 10 days till the race.
    Would it be OK to do the 4 mile tempo on Saturday or Sunday to replace my usual long run on a Sunday
    .ie 6 or 7 days before race?

I will definitely take it easier on race week and do some 400 reps.
    Advice much appreciated.

I think you would be well recovered from your tempo in that timeframe

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Goldigga

Great thread. I'm quiet an irregular runner. Once or twice a week. Usually a 5k.

Did my first parkrun in 4 years on Saturday and ran 23:01.. PR is 21:00..Going to build some consistency with the aim of getting the sub 20 in 6 months.

Let's see how I go

Advertisement