Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to south from Northern Ireland or uk

Options
  • 07-04-2018 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My husband an I are building a house in Cavan to be beside family we are coming from the north first question is how do we access health care we both work but don't have any insurance as it's free in north how much can we expect to pay I'm 34 he is 38 ......and what sort of cover can we expect ect....any other advice on our move would be greatly recieved we know we will pay for local water and bins ect ....if we decided to do our own refuse for example we eat mostly veg so a composer would be an option is this possible or do we have to pay ect ......also if anyone else has made the move we would love to hear from you ......it's a real mind felid but excite

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Linny100

Omg my spelling this damn iPad sorry guys

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Ak84

I would try and keep an address in the north so that you can still avail of the health service up there. Quicker and better. You don't 'need' health insurance in Republic. It will bump you up the waiting list though I think. But if it's anything life threatening insurance is no advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You'll need to change your car, register it on roi plates.

Or you could just brass neck it and keep your ni plates, there's loads of them driving around the Ireland illegally.

Where.will your employment be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Couple of diff companies operate bin services but if you don't mind a bit of work you can compost stuff yourself if you have a bit if a garden / use recycles centres for cans / bottles for free and then just get rid of black bag rubbish once in a blue moon at recycle centres. One in baileborough and cavan that I am aware of.

Health insurance as the other poster says it's up to you.

Best of luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Linny100

Hi guys thanks for reply I work in Dublin we currently live in Fermanagh keeping an Northern Ireland address is unfortunately not possible my mum lives in Malta my only family and my husbands dad his only family lives in Cavan......so I guess health insurance it is......yes we have a large plot of land 8 acres and will do composting many thanks for your advice also we will change our car soon so will buy a roi plate then the cars are very expensive in the south as is alot of things

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Ak84 wrote: »
    health insurance in Republic. It will bump you up the waiting list though I think.

With Health Insurance the waiting times are drastically reduced to the point of a very quick time to be seen. Much better than the vaunted (not sure why tbh) NHS. That's why BUPA exists in the UK
    But if it's anything life threatening insurance is no advantage.

What do you mean by life threatening and why do you think insurance is of no benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Linny100 wrote: »
    Hi guys thanks for reply I work in Dublin we currently live in Fermanagh keeping an Northern Ireland address is unfortunately not possible my mum lives in Malta my only family and my husbands dad his only family lives in Cavan......so I guess health insurance it is......yes we have a large plot of land 8 acres and will do composting many thanks for your advice also we will change our car soon so will buy a roi plate then the cars are very expensive in the south as is alot of things

As long as you own your "new " car for 6 months before moving south, you do not pay the VRT on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Ak84

What do you mean by life threatening and why do you think insurance is of no benefit?[/quote]

Cancer for example. From personal experience I know that relatives were treated immediately and wanted for nothing. With no insurance.
    I stand to be corrected however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

What do you mean by life threatening and why do you think insurance is of no benefit?

Cancer for example. From personal experience I know that relatives were treated immediately and wanted for nothing. With no insurance.
    I stand to be corrected however.

You will be treated, but sometimes private insurance in helpful with a scan or other diagnosis in the first place, and this is true whether North or South.
    Cancer treatment is better in the South nowadays.

Private insurance really comes into its own for things that won't kill you, but may be uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Linny100 wrote: »

Don't forget, your 1St car is vrt free to change plates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement