Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Requirements questions

Options
  • 08-04-2018 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello there , I've done a good bit of research on the guards but theres a couple of points that i just want to know a little more about , So First of all the education requirements :

Applicants must have obtained

(a) an Irish Leaving Certificate with a grade D3 minimum in five subjects at ordinary level*, or

(b) a Level 5 Certificate (Major award) on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ), or

Does this mean that if i fail my leaving cert (honestly think im gonna fail lol) , but get a good mark for a PLC , will this be good enough? Or if i get a college degree like a level 7 or level 8 bachelor , will they look at that and ignore the leaving cert?

Second Question:
    (d) Must have a proven proficiency in two languages; one of which must be Irish or English. Such competency may be proven by achieving the relevant grades in an Irish Leaving Certificate or for English or Irish through such assessments as set out by the Public Appointments Service;

How do you prove proficiency? do you just have to speak two languages? or did you have to pass them in the Leaving cert?

Any help would be appreciated , Cheers!

Advertisement