Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eShop restrictions

• 08-04-2018 8:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to pick up a switch pretty soon. One of the first titles I want to pick up is Resident Evil Restrictions from the eShop, don't want the hassle of dealing with cartridges.

However, the game has some parts cut here in Germany. If I setup an Irish account, can I use a euro eshop gift card purchased in Germany in the Irish store?

I know that you need the correct currency card when purchasing from UK, US, JP but I can't find info anywhere regarding the situation I have.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

jester77 wrote: »
    I'm going to pick up a switch pretty soon. One of the first titles I want to pick up is Resident Evil Restrictions from the eShop, don't want the hassle of dealing with cartridges.

However, the game has some parts cut here in Germany. If I setup an Irish account, can I use a euro eshop gift card purchased in Germany in the Irish store?

I know that you need the correct currency card when purchasing from UK, US, JP but I can't find info anywhere regarding the situation I have.

Its far more simple than that.

Just set up an Irish account and you can use PayPal or credit card. I've used mine to buy from USA, Norway and South Africa (nearly always the cheapest) without any problems with payment.

The issues only seem to arise when people keep changing their location on a single, main account.

Good few articles recommend just having a separate account for each location.

As for the game content having content restrictions in certain locations, I found that information hard to find too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

amadablam wrote: »
    Its far more simple than that.

Just set up an Irish account and you can use PayPal or credit card. I've used mine to buy from USA, Norway and South Africa (nearly always the cheapest) without any problems with payment.

The issues only seem to arise when people keep changing their location on a single, main account.

Good few articles recommend just having a separate account for each location.

As for the game content having content restrictions in certain locations, I found that information hard to find too.

Really, that would be awesome? I read a few different articles and they all say that your credit card will only work in the eShop of the country where the credit card is registered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Wolfenstein II release in Germany, as it will likely be heavily altered to fit their rules in the portrayal of Nazi symbols.
    If one buys it from their eShop, for whatever reason, you'll be stuck with it.
    The local eShop will record it as purchased and, if you delete it, you'll have to redownload from the De store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Really, that would be awesome? I read a few different articles and they all say that your credit card will only work in the eShop of the country where the credit card is registered.

No, not true. South Africa, Norway and Russia fine with an Irish card.
    However the us and Mexico want CC's with continental American addresses

No that's incorrect. The problem only arises with the stores I use when you constantly change location on the main account and it will then lock your card to one location. It's a security thing I have heard so it's far better to have a separate profile for each destination you intend shopping from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I purchase games by switching location and have had no problems so far, I use Paypal instead of using a card. Personally I find the switching location much handier than multiple accounts. Of course if you don't have Paypal and just using a card it may be easier the other way.

Corholio wrote: »
    I purchase games by switching location and have had no problems so far, I use Paypal instead of using a card. Personally I find the switching location much handier than multiple accounts. Of course if you don't have Paypal and just using a card it may be easier the other way.

PayPal is fine for it. It's only on debit and credit cards and even so, its as random as feck. It's apparently some security algorithm. :)
    It blocked my main profile for payment when I was changing location regularly.

Some guy on reddit said that the danger is they can link your card to one of the locations you are switching from and then it's locked on their system to that location and you need to get customer care intervention.

Advertisement