Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative housing to work against homelessness..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

By the way, I live in what they call here a "demountable dwelling"; that was council owned but lying many years empty. The ultimate in recycling.
    It was either that as after a year long search my car was looking to be home...,

I had never heard of these and am impressed. Light, airy. safe.

WHY the hostility in Dublin? That is a major issue surely?

In the UK after the war I grew up where there were acres and acres of prefabs as whole towns were bombed out. They went up fast as the homlessness there then made Irelandl look like a picnic.

Are we to do less for our people in this "war"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Absolutely no one would want this is their backyard and the places it could be put would see them destroyed in weeks by the local element.

NIMBY. NIMBY. NIMBY. Add in distance from mammy, school, work and you’ve some idea of why it wouldn’t work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Please solve the housing crisis but don't do it anywhere near me. It's obnoxious beyond words.
    I've seen another idea a while ago that was developed in the South of the US, pressing plastic recycling waste into blocks and build houses for the homeless out of it, the pilot project was small, nice enough dwellings. The outcry of people was insane from "it's ugly" to "but what about fumes that could develop when it gets warm?".
    The truth is lots of people only care about the poor when they might get any help where others aren't in benefit from. There is no real interest from people owning a 3bed semi anywhere to undergo any changes in the area because it could de-valuate their property.

http://www.thejournal.ie/modular-housing/news/

So irish people do not care about the homeless? All talk?

"great little country" indeed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Graces7 wrote: »

Why not here?

There are many more. Clean, healthy, easily built dwellings at a low cost..

And this

Because everyone wants a 3 bed with front and back garden , with minimal amount rents and only in 2 or 3 estates , and only 5 minutes walk from mammies house

NIMBY. NIMBY. NIMBY. Add in distance from mammy, school, work and you’ve some idea of why it wouldn’t work.

Not quite sure who you are blaming? Everyone? Listen to some of the interviews. You are wrong

Gatling wrote: »
    Because everyone wants a 3 bed with front and back garden , with minimal amount rents and only in 2 or 3 estates 5 minutes walk from mammies house

I do not believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Absolutely no one would want this is their backyard and the places it could be put would see them destroyed in weeks by the local element.

I can't see an issue with them, and surely they look better than the many homeless we have lining the streets?

LirW wrote: »
    Please solve the housing crisis but don't do it anywhere near me. It's obnoxious beyond words.
    I've seen another idea a while ago that was developed in the South of the US, pressing plastic recycling waste into blocks and build houses for the homeless out of it, the pilot project was small, nice enough dwellings. The outcry of people was insane from "it's ugly" to "but what about fumes that could develop when it gets warm?".
    The truth is lots of people only care about the poor when they might get any help where others aren't in benefit from. There is no real interest from people owning a 3bed semi anywhere to undergo any changes in the area because it could de-valuate their property.

Th US are way ahead of us and so are the UK

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I do not believe that.

Look up the reasons for tefusals to the council, you can google it.

Reference a recent post by yourself that you could not live in an estate as you "need"solitude

Same thing basically

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    I can't see an issue with them, and surely they look better than the many homeless we have lining the streets?

Many of the rough sleepers would not come in. But the families with children in hotels?

Sure there are chancers, but they can be screened out.

Stheno wrote: »
    Look up the reasons for tefusals to the council, you can google it.

Reference a recent post by yourself that you could not live in an estate as you "need"solitude

Same thing basically

No; mine are medical reasons at base, linked with my illness and age. and yes I saw that . But that is not everyone . filter though and find the genuine needy

Plenty to choose from.

And I took what was on offer . Immediately although I had no idea what I was coming to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Gatling wrote:
    Because everyone wants a 3 bed with front and back garden , with minimal amount rents and only in 2 or 3 estates , and only 5 minutes walk from mammies house

The lefties of the anti everything parties are only interested in the ideological position where the homeless or anyone on SW can get the exact same house as someone who works to pay for theirs.

The lefties of the anti everything parties are only interested in the ideological position where the homeless or anyone on SW can get the exact same house as someone who works to pay for theirs.

:rolleyes:

What has that got to do with anything? The modulars are being built and offered to families .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Kitty6277 wrote: »

We don't have many homeless lining the streets.

Don't believe the figures put out there. They are figures from people with agendas.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What people who are 'homeless' want :

3 bed semi in a nice part of Dublin / Cork with a back garden big enough for a trampoline 2 minutes walk from the luas, a shop and a school.

they are willing to stay in hotels or hostels (or more likely in their parents cosy house) until they get that.

if you built a bunch of these in naul or ballymun or meath / Kildare you would get a very low uptake on them.

Most people in emergency accommodation (hotel/hostels) over 6 months have rejected an offer of a property, remember that before you start to feel sorry for them.

3 bed semi in a nice part of Dublin / Cork with a back garden big enough for a trampoline 2 minutes walk from the luas, a shop and a school.

they are willing to stay in hotels or hostels (or more likely in their parents cosy house) until they get that.

if you built a bunch of these in naul or ballymun or meath / Kildare you would get a very low uptake on them.

Most people in emergency accommodation (hotel/hostels) over 6 months have rejected an offer of a property, remember that before you start to feel sorry for them.

Not feeling sorry for them! For the kids yes. Wish though you would not make blanket derogatory statements without proof. And the council do have powers to take sanctions.

:rolleyes:

What has that got to do with anything? The modulars are being built and offered to families .

Offered, maybe. But are they being accepted?

Th US are way ahead of us and so are the UK

You have obviously never been to the US if you think they are way ahead of us in dealing with homelessness. Homelessness meaning people living on the streets not those in free hotels refusing perfectly good homes as it's not the exact house they want.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Not feeling sorry for them! For the kids yes. Wish though you would not make blanket derogatory statements without proof. And the council do have powers to take sanctions.

Have a look at the reasons that properties have been turned down in the various local authorities. I wish it were true that people were making blanket statements and derogatory comments without proof- honestly, I wish it were true. You'll be staggered when you read the list of reasons properties were turned down. I suggest you start on Cork's list first- there are some mindblowing examples down there.

You have obviously never bee to the US I feel you think they are way ahead of us.

I originally agreed, however re-reading that users post I feel they might mean in terms of building materials / renewable building which I would say is true, even the style guides and planning boards here severely limit what style you can make your house and what you can make it from.

from here :
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/3000-social-housing-offers-turned-down-in-past-two-years-450651.html
    Just 46 of the 468 refusals across both years were deemed “reasonable” by the housing department within the local authority, with the remainder considered “unreasonable”.

less than 10% of the 468 refusals of houses were considered reasonable.
    Two offers made in Wicklow were refused because the applicant wanted “a cottage on its own”.

In Wexford, the fact that only a street view was on offer was cited in one case. In South Dublin four applicants would not take up an offer because they said they were feuding with other families in the area;
    this kind of crap makes it really really really hard for me to feel sorry for any of these applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Anyone know if the rules have changed regarding refusals of offers or what?

Surely three rejections should leave you back at the bottom of the list. There is always a transfer list, but get into a house FGS.

Ah but I forgot, the usual objections to being housed by the hardworking taxpayer, you know, too far out, ASB, not near my snowflake's school, etc. etc.

Sorry now, but the reality is that some (I said some) are remaining in hotels and temporary accommodation to bump up on the list. A councillor I think it was Jimmy Guerin stated on J Duffy show that some (I said some) are staying in hotels, but living elsewhere with mammy etc. to keep their place on top of the list. JOE Duffy shut him up very quickly. Not for discussion at all. Joe is a lefty even though he is rich. Hope he enjoys his smoked salmon now and then.

The council's don't not unless you turn down 3 properties in a 12 month period ,but in theory you could turn down 2 properties every year for 10+ years and face no sanction ,

You move into a hotel or b&b free of charge and no bills for utilities and free internet ,st Vincents visiting regular handing out shopping vouchers and other groups feeding you for free ,

Harsh living .

I don't want to pay ,my rent or bills
    I'd love regular foreign holidays and a car but till myself and wife have our respective degrees and full time jobs it's not going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Those kids are the next generation of lidl smashers. They will already have their parents scumbag air of entitlement coupled with a chip on their shoulder that they spent time growing up in a 4-5 star hotel because Maaa couldent get the house she wanted 2 mins from her sisters and 3 mins from her ma with a nice garden and 3 bedrooms .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

The SDCC are building 20 houses at a cost of 4.2 mil next to our council estate. We recently had an residents meeting in regards to this and all we got from 2 families was “my Johnny/Mary is homeless in a hotel with his girlfriend and baby and was brought up here so he should get one”. This from the same people whose parents and themselves intimidated and destroyed the estate when growing up and never done an ounce of labour in their lives. One of the families already have 3 houses out of 28 in this estate. They have been to the local politicians and clergy to try pull some strings. Its just a big con for them. €20 rent out of their dole and a house for life. Sickening.

The SDCC are building 20 houses at a cost of 4.2 mil next to our council estate. We recently had an residents meeting in regards to this and all we got from 2 families was “my Johnny/Mary is homeless in a hotel with his girlfriend and baby and was brought up here so he should get one”. This from the same people whose parents and themselves intimidated and destroyed the estate when growing up and never done an ounce of labour in their lives. One of the families already have 3 houses out of 28 in this estate. They have been to the local politicians and clergy to try pull some strings. Its just a big con for them. €20 rent out of their dole and a house for life. Sickening.

This is one of the large problems, people object to building all social housing because it 'creates ghettos' , a mix of a majority working people who are low income and the few scroungers doesn't cause this, but allowing the intergenerational welfare dependents to all live near each other , especially families with say more criminal tendencies causes the decline of an area. "I need to be near my ma" is not a valid excuse for a house and if anything , if your ma is on welfare her whole life you should be flagged to not be put near anyone else like that, might teach you to work.

• Advertisement

Calling bs on this ,
    Didn't happen

Advertisement