Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative housing to work against homelessness..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

The SDCC are building 20 houses at a cost of 4.2 mil next to our council estate. We recently had an residents meeting in regards to this and all we got from 2 families was “my Johnny/Mary is homeless in a hotel with his girlfriend and baby and was brought up here so he should get one”. This from the same people whose parents and themselves intimidated and destroyed the estate when growing up and never done an ounce of labour in their lives. One of the families already have 3 houses out of 28 in this estate. They have been to the local politicians and clergy to try pull some strings. Its just a big con for them. €20 rent out of their dole and a house for life. Sickening.

It's scary the amount of extended families that are in council houses. It becomes a fact of life that their children turn 18 and instead of getting a card they get on the housing list.

We had one woman camp outside the council offices in Carlow demanding the council keep on housing her. A council official came out and pointed out that her entire family is in council housing and she should start with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Gatling wrote: »
    Calling bs on this ,
    Didn't happen

It’s not bs. The houses will be occupied in June. Kitchen are going in at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It’s not bs. The houses will be occupied in June. Kitchen are going in at the moment.

And they told you at this meeting who all the tenants are .
    Pull the other one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Pull the other one
    You must be mixed up. They already have houses in this estate. They are looking for the new houses for their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

I believe you. I am a private landlord. My house was trashed by a family on welfare they even kept the rent money (it was paid into their account).
    It took me 3 months to get them out then 2 months to get the house ready for new tenants (domestic waste etc dumped)
    18 months to get to court and a judgement they had no money to pay.
    They were given free hotel accommodation the night they walked out of my house and left it open to whoever.
    They were a few months in a free hotel and then got their keys to a free house from "Tuath"
    Fingal county council were aware of what they did to the property I saved so hard to get, as were welfare I was informed it was a private issue and the fact "Tuath" gave them a free house was non of my business.
    And no they were not travellers just scumbags on welfare.
    This country is a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Pull the other one

Everyone has the right to know who the new tenants are its to stop people skipping the list. You can go in and check where you are on the free housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Pull the other one

I took it from this that there was a meeting by residents of the current council estate and some families stood up making the point that their sponging spawn should get a house in the new part just because, very believable, happens all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Visconti wrote: »
    I believe you. I am a private landlord. My house was trashed by a family on welfare they even kept the rent money (it was paid into their account).
    It took me 3 months to get them out then 2 months to get the house ready for new tenants (domestic waste etc dumped)
    18 months to get to court and a judgement they had no money to pay.
    They were given free hotel accommodation the night they walked out of my house and left it open to whoever.
    They were a few months in a free hotel and then got their keys to a free house from "Tuath"
    Fingal county council were aware of what they did to the property I saved so hard to get, as were welfare I was informed it was a private issue and the fact "Tuath" gave them a free house was non of my business.
    And no they were not travellers just scumbags on welfare.
    This country is a disgrace.

Makes my blood boil.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note:

Folks, enough with the 'all social welfare tenants are......' posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Surely three rejections should leave you back at the bottom of the list. There is always a transfer list, but get into a house FGS.
    After the rejections, they get to stay where they are.

If this was; after three rejections (it's either yes or no), you're moved to what the council chooses - I'd say people would take what is offered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

from here :
    [u e.

this kind of crap makes it really really really hard for me to feel sorry for any of these applicants.

Who is asking you to feel sorry for them?

I took it from this that there was a meeting by residents of the current council estate and some families stood up making the point that their sponging spawn should get a house in the new part just because, very believable, happens all the time.

Interesting (!) attitude.

What business of yours please? You have your home.Let others be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Graces7 wrote: »
    Interesting (!) attitude.

What business of yours please? You have your home.Let others be.

Social housing is paid for by us all, so it is all of our business.

the_syco wrote: »
    After the rejections, they get to stay where they are.

If this was; after three rejections (it's either yes or no), you're moved to what the council chooses - I'd say people would take what is offered!

Interesting interpretation.

Yes you get three chances. That is built into the list conditions. You also get to choose three areas from the list

If you refuse, then if you are on Rent Allowance it get stopped

What I am reading here is the intolerant attitude to the needs of others.The judgemental begrudgery and accusations of eg "entitlement"

Yes we ARE entitled. Ireland is a welfare state. That means entitlement without being called names etc. The atititudes here are like the old workhouse days that the Irish Constitution was aimed at clearing out.

We do nto have to make excuses for our needs. Or be deemed to have to live like paupers. Or be treated like dirt for needing help etc.Or be judged for our needs .

Your life style is your affair. So is mine mine .

Rather than NIMBY, MYOB?

And using every thread to pour out the same ...
    Sad..

Alternative housing is needed and will work .. if given a chance and I admire the perserverance of the councils

Phoebas wrote: »
    Social housing is paid for by us all, so it is all of our business.

How do you work that out? You have no power; that is for the professionals. Social housing is a right and a need.

Yes we pay taxes. So so all of us every time we shop

And most of the bile here is not about social housing at all.

Have a nice day...

How do you work that out? You have no power; that is for the professionals. Social housing is a right and a need.

Yes we pay taxes. So so all of us every time we shop

And most of the bile here is not about social housing at all.

Have a nice day...
    So, let me get this straight.
    You post about housing policy across this site and that's ok.
    Other people post about housing policy that you don't like, and they should mind their own business.

Phoebas wrote: »
    So, let me get this straight.
    You post about housing policy across this site and that's ok.
    Other people post about housing policy that you don't like, and they should mind their own business.

Most of the posts are far from objective re housing policy. A few are. But some of the epithets? "sponging spawn" ?

We are not beggars. Citizens.

Over and out from me on this.

Deeply thankful for my small modular house and to be away from renting privately

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Most of the posts are far from objective re housing policy. A few are. But some of the epithets? "sponging spawn" ?

We are not beggars. Citizens.

Over and out from me on this.

Deeply thankful for my small modular house and to be away from renting privately

Grace- its not all about you.
    If you used facts and figures to try and refute what others are posting- rather than hyperbole- perhaps you'd have a better debate with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The government need to focus on getting empty council housing stock back into occupancy.
    There an alarming number of houses in various estates just boarded up.

Modular housing and placing further draconian controls on private landlords should all be off the agenda until all empty council houses are repaired and brought back into use.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

_Brian wrote:
    The government need to focus on getting empty council housing stock back into occupancy. There an alarming number of houses in various estates just boarded up.

I come from a disadvantaged area, there's no possible way you could bring a family up in some of these areas, as you would constantly live in fear, I would recommend no family to take one these houses in my area.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I come from a disadvantaged area, there's no possible way you could bring a family up in some of these areas, as you would constantly live in fear, I would recommend no family to take one these houses in my area.

I see interviews with “homeless” people with kids stuck in crappy hotel bedrooms saying they would do anything to get out of sheltered accommodation and into a house.

Are you telling me they wouldn’t take a refurbished council house ? If not that harks to the heart of ou homeless crisis.

Homeless people should be offered appropriate accommodation, if they turn it down then it’s to the bottom of the list or off it completely.

_Brian wrote:
    Homeless people should be offered appropriate accommodation, if they turn it down then it’s to the bottom of the list or off it completely.

Yes, let's just treat these people like animals, I will try find some footage of my estate, it's well known, there's been murders, rapes, regular burglaries, regular joy riding, petrol bombings to both homes and cars, serious criminal gangs, intimidation, the works. No wonder people run from the place

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

_Brian wrote: »
    The government need to focus on getting empty council housing stock back into occupancy.
    There an alarming number of houses in various estates just boarded up.

Modular housing and placing further draconian controls on private landlords should all be off the agenda until all empty council houses are repaired and brought back into use.

Unfortunately- the number of vacant local authority housing units- as a percentage of our (depleted) housing stock- is at an all time low. I know I could walk 5 minutes and point at 2 boarded up houses- the same as you do. Most of the units that are boarded up have significant work needed to bring them up to spec (or indeed, in many cases, to repair significant damage to them- often structural in nature).

Local authorities deliberately did not replace housing staff- as they retired (both on the admin and the operations sides)- and do not have the competency to run the national estate of social housing units in the manner in which they should.

What needs to happen- is all the housing associations need to be disbanded and brought back in house ASAP- and the operations people associated with them- should be brought onboard in the local authorities (at appropriate pay grades!!!)

We have already been told (by Europe) that the Housing Associations are not independent bodies- despite what they and the government say- and their debts and obligations are being enumerated (and added onto the National Debt etc) for statistical purposes).

Then we need to stop being precious and go out and build entire estates of social housing units- and let whoever wants to rent them- do so- I'd argue a couple of Gardai as residents- even at no rent whatsoever- would keep smacht on the place.

We don't need pandering to anyone- we need solutions that work- and we definitely don't need new-age new-fangled solutions- they are a copout.

Yes, let's just treat these people like animals, I will try find some footage of my estate, it's well known, there's been murders, rapes, regular burglaries, regular joy riding, petrol bombings to both homes and cars, serious criminal gangs, intimidation, the works. No wonder people run from the place

But every estate isn’t worst case scenario.
    You can’t claim to be homeless and turn down houses because you want to be closer to mammy

This isn’t some utopian future where money has been banished and people get exactly what they want.
    People who aren’t providing for themselves are being provided for at the expense of hard working taxpayers. Best value for money would be bring these empty houses back into use and offer them to homeless families.

No one is being treated like an animal here, I’m talking about offering them a house at little or no cost, how can you portray that as a bad thing.

And yet here you are, living proof that it is possible.

There was an interesting documentary series on C4 recently about a street in a rough part of Liverpool, where the council sold off derilict houses to working people for £1 each on condition that the new owners would pay for the renovation and then live in them.

I'm not sure how successful it was, but it's the kind of thing we could try here to get derilict properties back into use and get a better mix into bad areas.

_Brian wrote:
    This isn’t some utopian future where money has been banished and people get exactly what they want. People who aren’t providing for themselves are being provided for at the expense of hard working taxpayers. Best value for money would be bring these empty houses back into use and offer them to homeless families.

Interesting you mentioned a 'utopia', maybe the idea of 'the market' being able to provide us with all our needs is one! It's clearly obvious something fundamental is failing here, but we re not accepting this, and for the short to medium term, it looks like this will continue, i.e. expect our homeless numbers to increase indefinitely. You will actually find many of these homeless are or have been workers themselves, we better hope and pray no major economic shock occurs soon, or this will turn catastrophic very quickly

Interesting you mentioned a 'utopia', maybe the idea of 'the market' being able to provide us with all our needs is one! It's clearly obvious something fundamental is failing here, but we re not accepting this, and for the short to medium term, it looks like this will continue, i.e. expect our homeless numbers to increase indefinitely. You will actually find many of these homeless are or have been workers themselves, we better hope and pray no major economic shock occurs soon, or this will turn catastrophic very quickly

One of the serious problems is we’re making no effort to identify those who have chosen not to provide for themselves and are riding the rest of us for everything that’s available.

Phoebas wrote:
    And yet here you are, living proof that it is possible.

It's all relative of course, my particular street is in fact privately owned, but adjacent streets are not, and are extremely rough, they always have been, and more than likely, always will be. They ve been a perfect breeding ground for criminal activities and development, I would not recommend anyone to move into them, for their own and families well being. Drove through there for the first time in years recently, total bedlam, very run down, and potentially very dangerous area, many boarded up houses, certainly wouldn't recommend people to live there

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote:
    One of the serious problems is we’re making no effort to identify those who have chosen not to provide for themselves and are riding the rest of us for everything that’s available.

Disagree, there's something fundamentally going wrong here, it's also important to note, there will always be people that take advantage of systems no matter whats in place, but I suspect the majority are in fact genuine

Advertisement