Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cleanable shower head

• 08-04-2018 1:11pm
    Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭

I've a huge problem with hard water and the resultant deposits within the shower unit. I get the element cleaned regularly by a Bro in law but I still inevitably get deposits coming down the house and clogging up the shower head.
    I used to be able to get shower heads with removable faces that I could clean, but these seem to be impossible to get days.

Does any one know of such a product and where I'd get one please?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Why not look at getting an aquabion water softener installed

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

DGOBS wrote: »
    Why not look at getting an aquabion water softener installed

Just had a read up on that product. Very interesting. Any idea how much it is, and how easy is it to fit?

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I've a huge problem with hard water and the resultant deposits within the shower unit. I get the element cleaned regularly by a Bro in law but I still inevitably get deposits coming down the house and clogging up the shower head.
    I used to be able to get shower heads with removable faces that I could clean, but these seem to be impossible to get days.

Does any one know of such a product and where I'd get one please?

http://dublinshowerrepair.com/showerparts/product/triton-t90-shower-head/

Descaling the element is a waste of time as you already know if the shower head is getting blocked

As DGOBS pointed out a water softening system is the way forward long term. They pay for themselves as you will get longer out of washing machine, dishwasher, hot water cylinder element & electric showers. These appliances will be cheaper to run if limescale free.

Sorry I havent a clue on their price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 BaronyOfIda

Aquabion distributed by Highway Wholesalers - hwl.ie Email or call them for RRP through your local Plumbers Merchants.
    They also do a showerhead that is resistant to limescale buildup called Pulse Eco Shower; it's all on their website.

Aquabion distributed by Highway Wholesalers - hwl.ie Email or call them for RRP through your local Plumbers Merchants.
    They also do a showerhead that is resistant to limescale buildup called Pulse Eco Shower; it's all on their website.

This is not suitable for an electric shower. If it's not an electric shower then it's fine but an electric shower needs a shower head designed for an electric shower.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This is not suitable for an electric shower. If it's not an electric shower then it's fine but an electric shower needs a shower head designed for an electric shower.

You've highlighted Aquabion as being unsuitable for electric showers but I think you meant Pulse Eco Showers.

Just to clarify; Aquabion is an inline Electrolytic plumbing fitting that gives whole-of-house protection against limescale including to Electric Showers. Strictly speaking, it's not a Water Softener as it doesn't remove scale from the water, it doesn't reduce the 'hardness' of the water but it does prevent the scale from sticking to pipes and heating elements etc.

Pulse Eco Showers are water-saving shower heads that happen to be limescale resistant too. The big savings on water usage are when used with tank-fed or thermostatic showers, less so with Electric showers which are usually regulated to push a fixed volume of liters/minute. However, the Limescale resistant properties of the Pulse Eco Shower hold for all types of showers including Electric showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Plastic bag full of vinegar, taped around the showerhead and left for a few hours, would that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Kathnora

Aquabion useless in my opinion...got it in 4 years ago. It turns the lime in a fine powdery substance in the kettle. Mine is out of guarantee at this stage and I regret not kicking up a fuss over it!! It did not solve my lime problem...full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

IF your just looking to stop the limescale getting into the shower head and the pain in the face that then in sues getting it out find an old washing machine inlet filter and fit inside the shower head inlet. When it clogs up it is easily removed and cleaned. Have this on a Mira shower head and works a treat

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

cubix wrote: »
    IF your just looking to stop the limescale getting into the shower head and the pain in the face that then in sues getting it out find an old washing machine inlet filter and fit inside the shower head inlet. When it clogs up it is easily removed and cleaned. Have this on a Mira shower head and works a treat

i often wondering if there was some product i could fit in line from the shower to the head, that seems like something that might work .. thanks!

on the vinegar cleaning, im afraid the limescale that comes from the shower is way beyond the level that can be cleaned with vineger... at least twice weekly i "clean" the hose by turning the shower on full heat for a few seconds, then right down to coldest and shaking the hose..... youd be amazed with the size and amount of what comes out.... the bottom of the bath looks like someone just had a shower after coming from the beach.... ill take a pic next time.... and some times ill get a chunk of scale 2-3 mm dia come from it.

i know a softener is the best option, but that might just have to take a while to save for.

Triton used to do a shower head that had a round "key" device to screw the face off the shower head, that was very useful for cleaning. I cant seem to find such a product any more.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i often wondering if there was some product i could fit in line from the shower to the head, that seems like something that might work .. thanks!

on the vinegar cleaning, im afraid the limescale that comes from the shower is way beyond the level that can be cleaned with vineger... at least twice weekly i "clean" the hose by turning the shower on full heat for a few seconds, then right down to coldest and shaking the hose..... youd be amazed with the size and amount of what comes out.... the bottom of the bath looks like someone just had a shower after coming from the beach.... ill take a pic next time.... and some times ill get a chunk of scale 2-3 mm dia come from it.

i know a softener is the best option, but that might just have to take a while to save for.

Triton used to do a shower head that had a round "key" device to screw the face off the shower head, that was very useful for cleaning. I cant seem to find such a product any more.

This was discontinued as they kept breaking & were quite heavy on the shower head holder.
    The shower head below replaces your old Triton shower head. It comes apart easily for cleaning
    https://www.woodies.ie/triton-8000-series-5-spray-shower-head-white-1111197?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5LbWBRDCARIsALAbcOc5wYibchZfdsH7ZKplQT2CLYo7PEYXy32-YJ-P9q2YzQmiZtAuSrkaApGgEALw_wcB

Long term a water softening system is the way to go. I have a client in Balbriggan who needed to replace the shower element every year at a cost of 150. This week she's getting a water softening system costing 750. I'm going to replace the element on Friday. It's the last one she'll ever replace due to limescale. The shower, immersion, kettle, dishwasher & washing machine will all be cheaper to run too

Kathnora wrote: »
    Aquabion useless in my opinion...got it in 4 years ago. It turns the lime in a fine powdery substance in the kettle. Mine is out of guarantee at this stage and I regret not kicking up a fuss over it!! It did not solve my lime problem...full stop.

Don't know how I missed this comment back in April! As I have said already on this thread, Aquabion is not designed to remove scale from kettles so if that was your aim then it probably wasn't for you.
    However, if on the other hand you want your hot water system protected from the effects of scale, Aquabion IS a very good solution.
    Regarding your kettle, don't forget if you install a water softener in your property, you are supposed to leave the drinking water tap UNCONNECTED to the softener i.e. the water you fill your kettle with will be harder on your kettle than Aquabion treated water.
    Best to install a dedicated limescale filter tap on your kitchen sink but be prepared to change the element every few months.

Advertisement