Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warranty bought from uk site

Options
  • 08-04-2018 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought a device from Microsoft which may have a battery hardware issue.

I’ve the device less than two years. Microsoft say it’s only one year warranty.

Am I using uk or Irish sales of good act?

I say something about 6 years in uk but Microsoft support says uk is 1 year.

Anyone advise am I fked on warranty?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,794 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If the battery is removable it is likely not covered as it is a consumable part.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

If the battery is removable it is likely not covered as it is a consumable part.

It’s a tablet device. All built in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

where did you buy it? UK or Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Hi,

I bought a device from Microsoft which may have a battery hardware issue.

I’ve the device less than two years. Microsoft say it’s only one year warranty.

Am I using uk or Irish sales of good act?

I say something about 6 years in uk but Microsoft support says uk is 1 year.

Anyone advise am I fked on warranty?

Thanks

The warranty has expired, forget about it. The device being faulty and the warranty are 2 separate things, get back on to MS support and ask them how they will rectify the faulty device.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

An important fact not disclosed is, can the battery be replaced? If so you dont have a case for a faulty item, and getting 1 year + out of a battery seems reasonable.

If the device is rendered unusable and you cannot replace battery, the situation changes.

In the past apple have sold phones with faulty batteries, and had to pony up repair or replacement, as battery was not user replaceable.

I suggest you call Competition and Consumer Protection Commission and discuss your concerns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Thanks for the replies. Battery can’t be replaced. Battery is like an iPhone.

It is a surface pro 4 so would be plugged in the vast majority of the time

I bought it via their uk online store instead of the Irish one as saved a few hundred euro

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Battery can’t be replaced. Battery is like an iPhone.

It is a surface pro 4 so would be plugged in the vast majority of the time

I bought it via their uk online store instead of the Irish one as saved a few hundred euro

Running it on mains is what has killed your battery. I doubt you'll get any joy from MS as batteries are a consumible and your incorrect usage of the device lead to the battery issues.

You bought from the UK so their laws are in affect, it's usually somewhere in their T&Cs what jurisdiction they apply the law, so MS's response is correct. That's the risk when buying from outside Ireland our consumer laws are strong and everyone elses are sh!te, so what you save has to be considered against repairs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Del2005 wrote: »
    Running it on mains is what has killed your battery. I doubt you'll get any joy from MS as batteries are a consumible and your incorrect usage of the device lead to the battery issues.

You bought from the UK so their laws are in affect, it's usually somewhere in their T&Cs what jurisdiction they apply the law, so MS's response is correct. That's the risk when buying from outside Ireland our consumer laws are strong and everyone elses are sh!te, so what you save has to be considered against repairs.

Ireland and the UK both operate their own Sale of Goods Acts. Only problem is going to the UK to bring a claim through the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

whiterebel wrote: »
    Ireland and the UK both operate their own Sale of Goods Acts. Only problem is going to the UK to bring a claim through the courts.

The only thing wrong with the OPs Surface is that they killed the battery themselves. Small claims won't help for a self induced failure.

Built in batteries are not consumable and on a premium device are not expected to die after less than 2 years.

MS's response is correct no matter where you are as the warranty is expired. However, that doesn't matter. A warranty is in addition to your rights, it does not replace them.

OP, did you go back to MS and insist they resolve your issue?

• Advertisement

The only thing wrong with the OPs Surface is that they killed the battery themselves. Small claims won't help for a self induced failure.

No, you do not kill batteries by running on mains. The pro 4 has known issues with battery drain.

Advertisement