If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To OLED or not to OLED

Options
  • 08-04-2018 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys,
    I've been on the edge of buying a tv for far too long, and basically decided to go for the LG 55SJ850V (55 is the biggest I can go), and I've other LG kit so it seemed like a solid choice.

But, the more I have waited around I'm thinking about the LG OLED55B7V instead.

Obviously the picture's better etc, but do you think for a small(ish) home setup the extra cost is worth the outlay? The SJ gets great reviews, and I'm wondering if I'll really get the best out of the OLED at home.

Its a big outlay, for what might a small(ish) upgrade in viewing? Or what are your thoughts?
    And with the 2018 models coming out soon, would I be better hanging on to see if the OLED drops in price?

Cheers,
    Chris

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

chris hall wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I've been on the edge of buying a tv for far too long, and basically decided to go for the LG 55SJ850V (55 is the biggest I can go), and I've other LG kit so it seemed like a solid choice.

But, the more I have waited around I'm thinking about the LG OLED55B7V instead.

Obviously the picture's better etc, but do you think for a small(ish) home setup the extra cost is worth the outlay? The SJ gets great reviews, and I'm wondering if I'll really get the best out of the OLED at home.

Its a big outlay, for what might a small(ish) upgrade in viewing? Or what are your thoughts?
    And with the 2018 models coming out soon, would I be better hanging on to see if the OLED drops in price?

Cheers,
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

I can't recommend the OLEDs highly enough. It's really down to the difference in panel type. While the SJ850 is a great TV it still has a backlight which can never give the contrast or range of colour that an OLED can. The main differences looking at an LED and OLED TV is the depth of the image. Even on SD and HD feeds the OLEDs have richer colours and deeper blacks. They also have better motion processing and no LED can compete with an OLED when a 4KL image is on. They really are stunning and it's definitely worth the extra over the SJ series.

The new OLEDs are coming out later in the year but I can't advise on price drops as it really depends on the cost price changes, we don't know of these in advance.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chris hall

Yeah, I do think it'd be worth it alright - is there any deals on the TV I can avail of to make the decision that much easier?
    As I'm based in Dublin, if I ordered today - would it be here before Friday do you know?

Yeah, I do think it'd be worth it alright - is there any deals on the TV I can avail of to make the decision that much easier?
    As I'm based in Dublin, if I ordered today - would it be here before Friday do you know?
    Hi Chris,

We currently have the 55" B7 on offer at 1699 euro including shipping and a 6 year guarantee. If you order online today we should have it to you by either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

Hey David, do you think there's anything to be done on the price at all?

Hey David, do you think there's anything to be done on the price at all?
    Hi Chris Hall.

The 1699 Euro would be the best price unfortunately. 

It has already been reduced down to this price.

• Advertisement

OK, Thanks for all the help/info - I'll sort this out next week when I'm back.

OK, Thanks for all the help/info - I'll sort this out next week when I'm back.
    No problem at all Chris.

Let us know when your ready :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.