Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peadiatric nursing as a career?

Options
  • 08-04-2018 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi I’m a 5th year student in Limerick and I really want to do peadiatric nursing as a career after school. I’ve always been intrested in their type of work as I was in hospital a lot as a kid and it seems like something I would enjoy. However my family are trying to steer me away from the idea as it’s a very hard job and apparently nurses aren’t treated or paid that well. I haven’t talked to any nurses/ students about it really so I was wondering what the job is like eg: hours ,salary ,jobs you do. Is it something you regret taking on or are you happy in your job. Would you recommend it? Thank you in advance x:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Hi, I don’t work as a nurse but I work in a hospital so can help a bit.
    Nurses salaries can be found on the IMNO.ie website. Starting salary for a first year qualified nurse is 24k. There is a career structure that means you could eventually earn 70k or more as a nurse manager but this would usually be about 20 years after you first qualify. Nurses work HARD- long shifts 7am to 8pm and often doing night shifts and weekends. No time off at Christmas/Easter etc unless you are incredibly lucky. You’ll be on the go all day on the Ward, juggling several patients needs at once. There will be very little time to chat to the kids or get to know them very well. I would advise you to do a work shadow day on your local children’s ward to see what you’d be facing, chat to the nursing students and see how they find it. On the positive side nursing is a profession that gives you (almost) guaranteed work and the opportunity to travel abroad to work if you wish. Good luck.

Advertisement