Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Senior Hurling- Liam McCarthy Cup 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Brendan Maher and a couple of Tipp lads would have won minor, all ire 21 and senior 2007-2010. Sure it’s been achieved a good few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I find completely weird that the Hurling season is done now, don't know if I'll ever get used to this.
    No its not. Club is under way in a lot of counties at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Martin567

C__MC wrote: »
    Stand to be corrected here

Cha Fitzpatrick from Kilkenny

Minor 2003
    U21 2004
    Senior 2006

I think the point made was doing the above in three successive years.

But Kyle Hayes hasn't done it either as he hasn't won a minor title!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

citykat wrote: »

This is the beauty of the new format. Club hurling and football(I know football championship is not over yet) will now take center stage for next 6-8 weeks. It gives clubs a great chance to get new support out there as first of the games will be during fairly good weather rather than happening in late September and October.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

citykat wrote: »

Well yeah if you're being pedantic, I just mean the All Ireland final has taken place and the schools aren't back yet and the Rose of Tralee hasn't been on yet, just find that a bit strange really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Well yeah if you're being pedantic, I just mean the All Ireland final has taken place and the schools aren't back yet and the Rose of Tralee hasn't been on yet, just find that a bit strange really.

He wasn't really being pedantic you said "Hurling season" not Inter-county Season

But yes it is a strange feeling, although it kinda beats rocking into October for a replays :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

threeball wrote: »
    caddy16 wrote: »
    The Glynn one was a free to be fair

How? He had just gathered the ball off the ground, went to stand and turn and collided with the limerick player. He didn't intend to run into him. More of the big man getting screwed in GAA

You can't shoulder a player in the chest, how can people not understand this, it's fairly simple.

Pitch invasions are sadly missed. Its not just about the players here but the tens of thousands of fans too.

Its the players that make the sacrifices. They deserve the time and respect to enjoy their victory amongst themselves, their mentors and with their loved ones in the stand. To see Seamus Hickey being able to share that wonderful moment with his wife and kid today was fantastic. If the fans invaded the pitch there would be no chance of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

After last year's all Ireland and seeing Galway winning Liam who would have put their money on Limerick to win it the following year? Just to note history is a great thing any team can change history. Galway did it last year Limerick this year. We might have a different winner next year again. Who knows?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,749 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Delighted Limerick won, very poor game for nearly 60 minutes- some atrocious wides, then a fantastic last 20 tgat had heart palpitations aplenty for both sides!

Hurling season is not over yet though, there's a certain u21 final next Sunday at 5.30 to look foward to, just happens to be in Limerick!

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Delighted Limerick won, very poor game for nearly 60 minutes- some atrocious wides, then a fantastic last 20 tgat had heart palpitations aplenty for both sides!

Hurling season is not over yet though, there's a certain u21 final next Sunday at 5.30 to look foward to, just happens to be in Limerick
    !

Ye are hot favourites for this to be honest. A valiant effort from Tipp here is all I can ask for really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Who got MOTM in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Shane_ef wrote: »
    He wasn't really being pedantic you said "Hurling season" not Inter-county Season

But yes it is a strange feeling, although it kinda beats rocking into October for a replays :pac:
    Maybe a week later next year as the Papal visit is taking a Sunday out. No harm that the football final is being brought foward as it has a better chance of a dry day and a replay if needed in September. Although after that Summer of hurling the football is miles behind as regards entertainment and excitement.
    It will be good to see the county players getting stuck into the club championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Who got MOTM in the end?

Kyle Hayes with Canning and Hannon the other nominations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭golfball37

Like who?

I can think of about four Tipp lads from this last decade alone before even getting onto KK, Cork or Galway players historically

Brendan Maher
    Padraig Maher
    Noel McGrath
    Callinan

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pussyhands wrote: »
    James Owens is an absolutely disgrace. The fact he gets the honour to ref an all ireland final while the pathetic display today makes me sick. I can think of 5 points he directly gave to Limerick in the first half.

- Mannion got shouldered in the back for the goal: 3 points.

- Glynn clashes with a player and a free is given the other way: 1 point.

- McInerney shoulders a limerick player square and a free is given: 1 point.

Sounds like sour grapes to me, Limerick were by far the better team and deserving winners.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

golfball37 wrote: »
    I can think of about four Tipp lads from this last decade alone before even getting onto KK, Cork or Galway players historically

Brendan Maher
    Padraig Maher
    Noel McGrath
    Callinan

The two Mahers and McGrath won in 07, 10 and 10. Callanan was 06, 08 and 10.

The original poster suggested Hayes was the first to win minor, 21 and senior 3 years in a row aka 16,17,18 but he didn't win minor in 2016 so I'd assume nobody else has done that.

Aside from Hayes, having being a beaten minor finalist in 2016, Richie Power is the closest I have found with losing the senior final in 2005 being his blip in the 3 in a row. Cha Fitzpatrick was the same I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭C__MC

The two Mahers and McGrath won in 07, 10 and 10. Callanan was 06, 08 and 10.

The original poster suggested Hayes was the first to win minor, 21 and senior 3 years in a row aka 16,17,18 but he didn't win minor in 2016 so I'd assume nobody else has done that.

Aside from Hayes, having being a beaten minor finalist in 2016, Richie Power is the closest I have found with losing the senior final in 2005 being his blip in the 3 in a row.

Cha Fitzpatrick?
    06?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭C__MC

James Owens had a nightmare yesterday

Cha Fitzpatrick?
    06?

Yeah same as Richie. Had they beaten Cork in 05 they'd both have done it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

For which team?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Willie O Dwyer did this for Kilkenny

Minor -02
    Senior and U21- 03
    U21- 04

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Seemed to be making it up as he went along. Some here are calling that balance. Ah sure these lads are 8 or 9 points up, they don't need another free etc. Didn't hear but curious as to how many scorable frees Limerick were awarded yesterday? Seemed remarkably few? Best team on the day won, but it should never have been that close at the death.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    For which team?

Why does it have to be for one team?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭mattser

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    For which team?

Both I thought. Tough job though. Right result in the end.

Edgware wrote: »
    Maybe a week later next year as the Papal visit is taking a Sunday out. No harm that the football final is being brought foward as it has a better chance of a dry day and a replay if needed in September. Although after that Summer of hurling the football is miles behind as regards entertainment and excitement.
    It will be good to see the county players getting stuck into the club championship

Understatement of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Klonker wrote: »
    You can't shoulder a player in the chest, how can people not understand this, it's fairly simple.

You can't shoulder a player in the back either, but that didn't seem to matter yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭blackcard

Cha Fitzpatrick?
    06?

Yeah same as Richie. Had they beaten Cork in 05 they'd both have done it.
    Kilkenny lost the semi-final to Galway in 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

blackcard wrote: »

was a cracker of a game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭MfMan

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What a time as a keeper to make your championship debut. I hope the Galway keeper is alright as he looked fairly shaken coming off the field.

No; coincidentally he also replaced the injured Skehill in the 2012 final replay.

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »

Christ, as a Cork man I am embarrassed I forgot that. Mixed it up with 04. That semi was incredible, probably the best game I've ever seen in person.

Advertisement