Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Senior Hurling- Liam McCarthy Cup 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭MfMan

Willie O Dwyer did this for Kilkenny

Minor -02
    Senior and U21- 03
    U21- 04

For Galway, Canning has the full set. Think Johnny Coen may have also.

Unluckiest team of the championship?

Clare? In all probability the width of a post denied them a final appearance against opponents they had already beaten well. The width of a post probably got them that far initially though.

Waterford? Were badly hampered with injuries and the worst decision of the year cost them a win over Tipp which would have given a shot in the arm to their campaign. Stood up manfully to Cork also but well beaten by Clare and Limerick.

Dublin? Really shudda beaten KK in the opener and came close enough to Wexford away. Gave a right game to Galway in Salthill where they really should have gotten a draw.

Cork? Fell off the horse in the closing stages of the semi v Limerick and, even then, maybe only denied by a great Quaid hook. Played some great hurling all season and would have fancied their chances in the final (based on yesterday's Galway display). Should have put Tipp away the first day though and couldn't beat 14-man Limerick at home.

Luckiest?

Tipperary? Lucky to be still in contention in the final round of games when gaining draws despite being outplayed by both Cork and Waterford. (Also qualify for biggest disappointment of the year.)

Kilkenny? Well beaten and very poor in Salthill, should have been defeated also in Parnell park and at home to a tiring Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Absolutely shocked glynn wasn't in the team of the year. He should get an all star. Outside of yesterday the man was a human wrecking machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Absolutely shocked glynn wasn't in the team of the year. He should get an all star. Outside of yesterday the man was a human wrecking machine.

Who do you take out though for him? Guys like Patrick Horgan will feel a little hard done by not being picked. Very competitive this year in the forwards, defenders not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭letowski

Yeah it certainly wasnt a year for the defender. Really only Mannion and Burke were the only two that we maintaining a high level of performance.

One thing though that might teach other teams is the importance of have good man marking corner backs. Both Finn and English should get allstars and for good reason, they were very solid and kept theyre markers from scoring much. I think with such high scoring in hurling nowadays, I think we will see management teams over the next couple of years look to develop proper sticky corner backs that they can use to 'do a job' on a free scoring forward.

Having said that, the game doesnt favour the back anymore. The spare arm tackle is heavly policed now while over-carrying and throw passes are not. Things like this are facilitating high scoring games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

letowski wrote: »
    Yeah it certainly wasnt a year for the defender. Really only Mannion and Burke were the only two that we maintaining a high level of performance.

One thing though that might teach other teams is the importance of have good man marking corner backs. Both Finn and English should get allstars and for good reason, they were very solid and kept theyre markers from scoring much. I think with such high scoring in hurling nowadays, I think we will see management teams over the next couple of years look to develop proper sticky corner backs that they can use to 'do a job' on a free scoring forward.

Having said that, the game doesnt favour the back anymore. The spare arm tackle is heavly policed now while over-carrying and throw passes are not. Things like this are facilitating high scoring games.

Besides the game against Limerick in Croke Park, I felt Colm Spillane had a great year for Cork and their best defender over the year. Hard to look past the two Limerick lads though, and I felt Hanbury and Tuohy were great too for the vast majority of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,082 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They bet the Big 3 and the current AI champions(up to yesterday).

Did not do it easy way and only game they lost was a game in Enniskillen in tight pitch and they were already through to KO stage

I think they enjoy it hence why I don't think they win it next year(and they are dead right) but they will win more now that Burden is off.

Delighted for Quaid. Don't know him but met his dad few times when I was kid and what a gentleman he was. He have been proud of his son yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

MfMan wrote: »

Clare? In all probability the width of a post denied them a final appearance against opponents they had already beaten well. The width of a post probably got them that far initially though.

Waterford? Were badly hampered with injuries and the worst decision of the year cost them a win over Tipp which would have given a shot in the arm to their campaign. Stood up manfully to Cork also but well beaten by Clare and Limerick.

Dublin? Really shudda beaten KK in the opener and came close enough to Wexford away. Gave a right game to Galway in Salthill where they really should have gotten a draw.

Cork? Fell off the horse in the closing stages of the semi v Limerick and, even then, maybe only denied by a great Quaid hook. Played some great hurling all season and would have fancied their chances in the final (based on yesterday's Galway display). Should have put Tipp away the first day though and couldn't beat 14-man Limerick at home.

Luckiest?

Tipperary? Lucky to be still in contention in the final round of games when gaining draws despite being outplayed by both Cork and Waterford. (Also qualify for biggest disappointment of the year.)

Kilkenny? Well beaten and very poor in Salthill, should have been defeated also in Parnell park and at home to a tiring Wexford.

Kilkenny should have beaten Galway the drawn leinster final as regards Wexford tiring what a joke they were nine points up leinster semi final wasn't going to happen in there back garden. kilkenny could have excuses for the limerick match a couple of frees should have going there way and they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Joe Daly wrote: »

Luckiest?

Kilkenny should have beaten Galway the drawn leinster final as regards Wexford tiring what a joke they were nine points up leinster semi final wasn't going to happen in there back garden. kilkenny could have excuses for the limerick match a couple of frees should have going there way and they didn't.
    Only for Eoin Murphy playing a blinder on goal and Gillane wasting so good opportunities , game would have been over a half time

Luckiest?

Only for Eoin Murphy playing a blinder on goal and Gillane wasting so good opportunities , game would have been over a half time

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Was it Eoin Murphy or Gillane wasting good opportunities he did the same against Cork. Was that not kilkennys third sunday in a row out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Was it Eoin Murphy or Gillane wasting good opportunities he did the same against Cork. Was that not kilkennys third sunday in a row out.

You're right, the real hard luck story. Honorary all Ireland medals are in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I'd agree with everything in your post, except the spare arm tackle being heavily policed, it's still rampant and used by all teams, unless we have different interpretation of the spare arm tackle.

You know each season refs appear to start with a renewed focus on a specific offence, like this year it was the hurl around the neck? I wouldn't be surprised if it is steps next season since it has got to farcical levels at times this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭golfball37

Will you stop. Limerick outscored KK something like 1-22 to 1-9 from play and Eoin Murphy made four outstanding saves

• Registered Users Posts: 34,082 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

golfball37 wrote: »
    Will you stop. Limerick outscored KK something like 1-22 to 1-9 from play and Eoin Murphy made four outstanding saves

You wonder what some people be watching or they thinking of another game. Limerick were far better that game

golfball37 wrote: »
    You wonder what some people be watching or they thinking of another game. Limerick were far better that game

Did limerick score a goal in that all Ireland then you come out with what you said or see in matches did I say kilkenny were all Ireland material no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭C__MC

James Owens didn’t have a good day yesterday

Perhaps the whole James mc Grath controversy unsettled him but he was so off yesterday

It’s a tough gig but you’d expect better at this level

Two of the goals for limerick should have been called for frees (so clear you can’t even argue it)

To many soft frees for both teams at various stages - I felt he’d give Galway the rub of the green then give a soft one to limerick (before half time prime example)

Not sure how Johnny Glynn was penalized in first half when he turned into a man and it was a free out.

Few soft yellows as well.

I’d give him a 3/10, it was way to inconsistent.

Lastly, I don’t buy this theory that descions swings in round abouts. The goals yesterday are frees. You can’t push someone over off the ball and take 7-8 steps in scoring a call. BASICS

Limerick deserved it - but the refereeing was totally shocking for hurlings show piece

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

It was like watching two Heavyweight boxers. Those players died in their boots on that field. Joe canning gave every ounce of energy he had into that game to try and carry the whole of connacht on his back. Glynn had the boxing gloves on, but he came up against a brawler in Mike hayes.

I hope galway come back better next year. So we can batter them again.
    Limerick Abu.

It was like watching two Heavyweight boxers. Those players died in their boots on that field. Joe canning gave every ounce of energy he had into that game to try and carry the whole of connacht on his back. Glynn had the boxing gloves on, but he came up against a brawler in Mike hayes.

Limerick Abu.

Will be interesting to see how Galway will come back from this. Would Jason Flynn have been worth a start yesterday? Perhaps its horses for courses and a runner might have been just the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭spurshero

Besides the game against Limerick in Croke Park, I felt Colm Spillane had a great year for Cork and their best defender over the year. Hard to look past the two Limerick lads though, and I felt Hanbury and Tuohy were great too for the vast majority of the year.
    Hanbury and tuohy have both struggled last few games I think .

Limerick Abu.

Will be interesting to see how Galway will come back from this. Would Jason Flynn have been worth a start yesterday? Perhaps its horses for courses and a runner might have been just the ticket.
    Will need to freshen things up and bring in few more options next year. Very reliant on same 17 to 18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What happened Galways forwards in the last few weeks? The wides v Clare and Limerick were shocking. Weren't they shocking v KK in croker too?

spurshero wrote: »
    Will need to freshen things up and bring in few more options next year. Very reliant on same 17 to 18

Well to be fair Galway could just as easily have been crowned back to back champions today in what would have been the greatest, toughest championship arguably of all time. Luckily for Galway they are never short a good young player or two. Some very good u21s in your midst. The likes of Concannon who to be honest can feel a little unlucky not to play in the final. Further down the line you have the likes of young Donal O'Shea, Dean Reilly or Kilcommins and as it is you have a very hungry panel.

Limericks stars really aligned for them this year. Arguably the game that must have gave them serious belief was the day they drew with Cork on the banks of the Lee despite having 14 men. It really solidified them. The one fear id have for them is that they are baby faced young men and while they will compete it will be hard to avoid the trappings of winning an All Ireland and the obligations of visiting x,y, and z, the best of women throwing themselves at them, etc, etc.
    Galway I must say coped very admirably with this during the year but seem to have the right age profile for it and Kilkenny were almost Terminator-like in their focus

Roll on 2019 though...its heartbreaking we have to wait until next May :pac:

Pussyhands wrote: »
    What happened Galways forwards in the last few weeks? The wides v Clare and Limerick were shocking. Weren't they shocking v KK in croker too?

not sure really.conor cooney went totally off the boil after wexford game .conor whelan struggled yesterday being good most of season .joe connney being up and down. thought both niall burke and flynn could have seen more game time. what can ya say about canning other then its an honour to watch him . not sure i will see his likes in the maroon again.the big thing missing with the galway forwards is probaly consistency .on their day unmarkable but on other days bang average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

They started lamping the ball down on top of Glynn instead of playing it up the field

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭MfMan

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    They started lamping the ball down on top of Glynn instead of playing it up the field

Yes, for a lot of the time, instead of varying it a bit by playing the ball into space for other forwards to come on to. Something Limerick did to good effect on Sunday. In fairness to Glynn, he's been more hit than miss this season. Other forwards have been up and down a lot during the season. E.g. Joe Cooney had his best outing in the final probably since the Offaly opener, whereas Cathal Mannion had a fine c'ship but probably 'lost' the All Star due to a subdued showing in the final. Conor Cooney was beating teams on his own last year but never got into his stride at all in 2018. Needs someone else to push him hard next year to make him hungry for his spot. Whelan a bit unlucky on Sunday as he didn't get great service and seemed to be everywhere the ball wasn't. Niall Burke maybe the most hard done by as he's showed in every game he played this summer. Flynn not so much, not a great lad to win the hard ball.

Really need options in every line next year; they are available from the U-21s but there's usually a 2-3 season lead-in for blooding most new players.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    James Owens is an absolutely disgrace. The fact he gets the honour to ref an all ireland final while the pathetic display today makes me sick. I can think of 5 points he directly gave to Limerick in the first half.

- Mannion got shouldered in the back for the goal: 3 points.

- Glynn clashes with a player and a free is given the other way: 1 point.

- McInerney shoulders a limerick player square and a free is given: 1 point.

Sounds like sour grapes to me, Limerick were by far the better team and deserving winners.

Exactly. It's is sour grapes. Here's a few that James Owens gave to Galway.

1.Kyle Hayes competes and wins ball over Canning in first half. Free to Galway.
    2. At least 2 frees given to Galway in the second half when he was legitimately tackled and overcarried. The last free of the game was no free.
    3. The most blatant. Peter Casey through and fouled by Burke. A wild swing across Casey's solo that missed the ball. Ball went up the field and Whelan scores a great goal.
    James Owen is not a good ref. But that game was a one point hammering of Galway by Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

For my number 2 example I wasn't clear..it wasn't Joe Canning that overcarried. Not sure who it was. There's a serious problem with reffing at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

McInerney and Hanbury were not fully fit and possibly Touhy as well. McInerney got an unfair yellow and he subsequently disappeared from the game. But this just reflects the lack of strength in depth within the Galway panel. Management would rather patch up injured players and start them than try their backups. To make things worse both Hanbury and Touhy made crucial mistakes by trying to take on their man after the short puck-out. Limerick were wise to that approach.

P Casey 1 was a disgrace , clear foul and for Galway to score a goal within 10 sec of it was a kick in the .... Limerick clear best on the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭jacool

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Exactly. It's is sour grapes. Here's a few that James Owens gave to Galway.

1.Kyle Hayes competes and wins ball over Canning in first half. Free to Galway.
    2. At least 2 frees given to Galway in the second half when he was legitimately tackled and overcarried. The last free of the game was no free.
    3. The most blatant. Peter Casey through and fouled by Burke. A wild swing across Casey's solo that missed the ball. Ball went up the field and Whelan scores a great goal.
    James Owen is not a good ref. But that game was a one point hammering of Galway by Limerick.
    He was rubbish for both sides. Limerick, if they could shoot, would have, and should have, won by 10 points. they should have been 8 ahead at half-time.

Outside of Galway's forwards not turning up, biggest disappointment was all the booing for Galway's frees in the first half. That stuff should be left to the other sports. Strangely, it died down in the second half. Don't know if that was to do with the margin between the sides or not.

Advertisement