Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Senior Hurling- Liam McCarthy Cup 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Well you could say the same about the top teams in the Joe McDonagh. There needs to be the possibility of promotion to provide incentive.

I do think though a better system would be for the two bottom group teams to play off in a relegation play off, with the loser then taking on the winner of the Joe McDonagh for a place in the championship.

Worst case scenario the team gets relegated and if they're good enough they'll win the Joe McDonagh and they'll be back in an all Ireland quarter final.

I actually tend to agree with Brian Cody on this. Munster should be included in the relegation process (and not just if Kerry were to win the secondary tier). Not any team in Leinsters fault they dont have the balls to break up the provincial system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Point about Munster teams given an extra chance, two in fact!, as made by Duighnan and Cody is good one.

Be some crack if Kerry do win it. We'll hear the traditionists then.

Laois are fked but probably still be "Leinster" team. Counties that don't have competitive hurling should not have a vote on hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Point about Munster teams given an extra chance, two in fact!, as made by Duighnan and Cody is good one.

Be some crack if Kerry do win it. We'll hear the traditionists then.

Laois are fked but probably still be "Leinster" team. Counties that don't have competitive hurling should not have a vote on hurling.

Duignan and Cody are certainly right and the assumption that the last team in Munster will definitely be stronger than the Leinster equivilant while based on solid evidence is over stepping the mark, and if they are always going to be stronger let them prove it on the field.

Nothing againt the others but I hope Kerry do aswell just to see the shi* storm is causes and highlight the ludicrousness of the entire structure.

I totally get what you are saying about non hurling counties and the idea that despite a substantial majority of the Liam McCarthy teams being against the new structure we are stuck with it, but the suggestion than non competitive counties should have no vote would be extremely divisive and hard to implement - my proposal and I actually proposed it at a County Convention and it was not accepted to be put to congress, was that the voting should be weighted depending on the tier the county competes at - I have a feeling if I propose it again it might get the neccessary support considering what happened at last years congress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Adds a bit of spark to the whole thing. Cody was going about it on Sunday, but it's not as if he is going to be losing sleep over ourselves or Offaly being relegated!

It is better system than weaker teams trotting out for embarrassing hidings. Whoever wins McDonagh deserves to get a chance.

a decade ago Westmeath were beating Dublin. they should have beaten Offaly last year
    they don't get enough chances to play the top teams

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

In 2006 Congress voted not to allow Dublin be promoted after winning 11 straight games in Division 2. Did same to Louth footballers. It was people from hurling counties that pointed out the absurdity of it. But still did same to Westies the next year, and Carlow I think in CR.

Westmeath, Dublin, Laois, Antrim have been closest rivals for 30/40 years. No Dublin hurling person going to be claiming any sort of privilege over anyone. If we go down, then so be it. Such it life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Traditional counties are like that- it's all about promoting the game etc
    But once the apple cart and status quo is threatened they circle the wagons
    E.g. minor games getting precedent over the Christy Ring finals (Sean Kelly had them on before the AI semi finals) when he was in charge)
    I remember bringing an underage team down to a tournament a few years back and a Kilkenny club were disgusted a club from a non hurling stronghold could beat them.
    Same with a club from limerick at another tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 10,865 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Traditional counties are like that- it's all about promoting the game etc
    But once the apple cart and status quo is threatened they circle the wagons
    E.g. minor games getting precedent over the Christy Ring finals (Sean Kelly had them on before the AI semi finals) when he was in charge)
    I remember bringing an underage team down to a tournament a few years back and a Kilkenny club were disgusted a club from a non hurling stronghold could beat them.
    Same with a club from limerick at another tournament
    What?! They didn't like losing? And to a team they might have expected to beat? Well Jesus they must have been awful people altogether. They should have been delighted.

Anyway what has your anecdote got to do with the price of spuds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

What?! They didn't like losing? And to a team they might have expected to beat? Well Jesus they must have been awful people altogether. They should have been delighted.

Anyway what has your anecdote got to do with the price of spuds?

I'm astonished that he gave a Kilkenny club as an example...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,253 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The real summer starts this weekend with Munster starting but it doesn't feel the same with this new structure

Waterford not out til next week and I'm already nervous about our chances for this summer. We're not the same team we were the last 2 years and we had a terrible league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The real summer starts this weekend with Munster starting but it doesn't feel the same with this new structure

Waterford not out til next week and I'm already nervous about our chances for this summer. We're not the same team we were the last 2 years and we had a terrible league

Think it's a bit early to be writing off Waterfords chances, they're notoriously slow starters and don't put much heed into the league. Losing home advantage is a negative even if the field doesn't suit. Fancy Austin to have a big year and they won't be far away.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The build-up to that Tipp goal demonstrates why hurling is the best sport in the world!!

Think it's a bit early to be writing off Waterfords chances

You do realise it was PTH2009 who was being pessimistic about Waterford :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How many frees does seamus hickey need to give away to get a yellow card. 4 fouls, no card.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Ompala

You would be very worried as a Tipp person watching this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

How many frees does seamus hickey need to give away to get a yellow card. 4 fouls, no card.

And yet John McGrath gets a yellow for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shauna17

Score line way too close for my liking think it’s going be a tight match till the end

Blondie919 wrote: »
    And yet John McGrath gets a yellow for one.

I don't think any of Hickey's fouls involved giving an opposition player a dig in the ribs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭4Ad

Brutal game..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Very poor game with lots of bad misses.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭MfMan

Lk a mile the better team but killing themselves big time with loose play. How many scores have they conceded through silly passing, mishandling or overcarrying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Referee is a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Ref waving play on after a serious injury. WTF?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Mokuba wrote: »
    Referee is a complete joke.

some ale gut the little fella

Blow for Limerick losing full-back Hickey

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

No score since the goal. Get the feeling the next score is huge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Clear foul on the Tipp player there