Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours cutting down my hedge

Options
  • 08-04-2018 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello,
    I know this is not a new complaint but I am utterly at a loss of how to deal with it.

We have moved in 6montgs ago and I started to plant beech hedge saplings to make a privacy hedge as we live on a busy main road and our house is very exposed. This hedge is well within our land.

Soon after, the hedge that is on the neighbours side was cut down to about half the height. We tried calling into the neighbours a number of times but they wouldn't answer the front door (they were in), so we wrote a simple but civil letter asking them to please feel free to cut the hedge if it went into their garden, but to refrain from cutting the top. We received a really nasty letter back from them denying that they had done it.

It's true we hadn't seen them cut it down, but they had been very upset that we planted it and one day I can home to find the husband bent over our fence trying to snap off the whole hedge. According to our other neighbours they have cut down trees inside our back garden before we moved in (there is a convenient hole in the back hedge for them to access our back garden, we have put up chicken wire..) They also have a immaculate lawn and are obsessed with trimming in their own garden. We have also had them swear at our polish builders for about three hours. They are very odd.

More recently, the same young saplings to the front are being snapped to the exact same height. Every other day there are less survivors. I still suspect the neighbours and not randomer passerbys.

The Garda told me I need to set up a camera and catch them🙄🙄🙄 iwAnt a hedge not a fight...

Any advice most welcome!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Follow Garda advice, gather definitive evidence and then get a solicitor involved on the civil side.

Outrageous behaviour.

If they are doing this, you're dealing with lunatics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Aldi / Lidl do cheap cameras regularly - you can also get cheap kits online.

Make sure they see you installing it and make sure that it does not point into their property.

Maybe see if you can contact the previous owners and ask if there was any difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Aldi / Lidl do cheap cameras regularly - you can also get cheap kits online.

Make sure they see you installing it and make sure that it does not point into their property.

Maybe see if you can contact the previous owners and ask if there was any difficulty.

The previous owners probably “ran to the hills”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Do yourself a favour OP and put up a panel fence or build a wall to give yourself privacy. Your neighbours sound like the type of people that you can't win with and they will continue with taking liberties. Life is too short to have to deal with ongoing hassle with them. Block them out imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We had a similar neighbor move in beside us years ago.

Kept cutting back hedge, breaking plants, I had two young kids and just didn’t want a lifetime struggle against them as they were known to be trouble.

We had been thinking of moving but this spurred us on so we left.

I really don’t know how your going to come to any sort of resolution to this, these people are unreasonable and only want things their way.

You can get a camera up cheap enough, even brig the guards the evidence. But it’s unlikely to stop people like that chipping away at stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Squiggle wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour OP and put up a panel fence or build a wall to give yourself privacy. Your neighbours sound like the type of people that you can't win with and they will continue with taking liberties. Life is too short to have to deal with ongoing hassle with them. Block them out imo.

Just be careful here... any wall/fence over 1.2m (to the front of the house) needs planning. 1.2m of a fence prob wont be enough t stop them bending over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Melodeon

More recently, the same young saplings to the front are being snapped to the exact same height. Every other day there are less survivors. I still suspect the neighbours and not randomer passerbys.

I'm afraid I can be of no used regarding your obnoxious neighbours, but I'm wondering if perhaps the damage you mention above might be attributed to hares?
    It sounds like fairly classic hare damage: multiple (but random) young saplings all nipped off at the same height.
    Is the damage all at about 30-60cm high, neatly diagonally snipped, something like this?:
    447717.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

according to the OP:
    one day I can home to find the husband bent over our fence trying to snap off the whole hedge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Why don't you dump your grass on his lawn, ljusf once, and the hen he comes out tell him to leave your hedge alone, you have a photo and you will pass to guards if any more is damage is done?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Why would they need to go into your back garden?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 ladybirdbaby1

_Brian wrote: »
    We had a similar neighbor move in beside us years ago.

Kept cutting back hedge, breaking plants, I had two young kids and just didn’t want a lifetime struggle against them as they were known to be trouble.

We had been thinking of moving but this spurred us on so we left.

I really don’t know how your going to come to any sort of resolution to this, these people are unreasonable and only want things their way.

You can get a camera up cheap enough, even brig the guards the evidence. But it’s unlikely to stop people like that chipping away at stuff.

The unfortunate thing is we just moved here.... to get away from obnoxious neighbours😱😱 the problem could be us????

beertons wrote: »
    Why would they need to go into your back garden?

Eaxctly

The previous owners probably “ran to the hills”

She died of old age, but I'm told had many issues with these people

This would be ideal but it's the front of the house!

Melodeon wrote: »
    I'm afraid I can be of no used regarding your obnoxious neighbours, but I'm wondering if perhaps the damage you mention above might be attributed to hares?
    It sounds like fairly classic hare damage: multiple (but random) young saplings all nipped off at the same height.
    Is the damage all at about 30-60cm high, neatly diagonally snipped, something like this?:
    447717.jpg

Thank you for this suggestion, I do wish it was hares but being in a heavily suburban main road, I doubt it. Also, there appears to be a system to the snapping... 😧

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Why don't you dump your grass on his lawn, ljusf once, and the hen he comes out tell him to leave your hedge alone, you have a photo and you will pass to guards if any more is damage is done?

- don't do this.

Camera, OP. Like the other poster said, make sure that you make a big show of installing it so that they know it is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Melodeon

according to the OP:
    Thank you for this suggestion, I do wish it was hares but being in a heavily suburban main road, I doubt it. Also, there appears to be a system to the snapping... ��

Ah, I read the OP as meaning that there were 2 different hedges being interfered with: one at the neighbour's side, and another at the front.
    The neighbour has obviously been witnessed messing with the one on their side, but the perpetrators of the damage to the front one are as yet unknown. Or at least, unproven.
    Young saplings cut/broken randomly at uniform heights sound like classic hare damage, so I threw the notion out for consideration.
    Given the circumstances, it's almost certainly human activity, but hares aren't unheard of in suburbia either.

Catching the vandals in the act or on CCTV appears to be the only realistic option if the OP wishes to establish a hedge, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

El Tarangu wrote:
    Camera, OP. Like the other poster said, make sure that you make a big show of installing it so that they know it is there.

They will take the camera, unless you place it well outta reach. I use one and batteries need changing regularly so you can't put it somewhere too crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

If I was you OP I'd go with the fence idea. Stick it up and put the hedges or climbers of some sort on your own side to cover it if you don't like the look.

Then, and only then, would I draw a giant cock in weed killer on that immaculate lawn:D

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Then, and only then, would I draw a giant cock in weed killer on that immaculate lawn

That's a brilliant ideaðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Then, and only then, would I draw a giant cock in weed killer on that immaculate lawn:D

Made me think of this

faf4076fee294476b2b7fc8a148096e8_1a401a08a593479db58fa582a8b02301_1_post.jpeg

Still on Google Maps today

• Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Would you consider one of those recharging motion sensor lights as well?

Really crappy thing to do tbh, lots of cheap camera on amazon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Shaunoc wrote: »
    They will take the camera, unless you place it well outta reach. I use one and batteries need changing regularly so you can't put it somewhere too crazy

The camera could be put inside the house if there is a view to the problem area. Once you have them in your garden and at the hedge then you have them. There's lots of cheap IP cameras available these days. And even outdoor cameras can be had cheap enough:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Surveillance-Wireless-Weatherproof-Detection/dp/B0776V3CG5/ref=sr_1_47

That would be my approach OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

The unfortunate thing is we just moved here.... to get away from obnoxious neighbours���� the problem could be us????

If everyone else is an asshole, you are the asshole!

But no, sounds like they're just nutbags.

Get a set of cameras. I got some "Arlo" ones, and i'm very happy with it. Online clip recording, notifications to your phone, live viewing via your mobile, no wires, etc.
    Pricey enough system though.

Build some evidence against them, the hares, yeti, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

An electric fence! If only!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Hide behind the fence and wait for neighbour to lean over.
    Grab his hand, jump up and yell "leave my stuff alone" in his face.
    Don't forget maniacal laughter as he scarpers.
    If no one else saw it, deny everything and the neighbour will look crazy when he tells the story.
    To make story even more unbelievable, wear a Harlequin costume.

Hide behind the fence and wait for neighbour to lean over.
    Grab his hand, jump up and yell "leave my stuff alone" in his face.
    Don't forget maniacal laughter as he scarpers.
    If no one else saw it, deny everything and the neighbour will look crazy when he tells the story.
    To make story even more unbelievable, wear a Harlequin costume.

This is exactly what I'll do! 🀣

If I was you OP I'd go with the fence idea. Stick it up and put the hedges or climbers of some sort on your own side to cover it if you don't like the look.

And then deny it was me 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 32,777 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

An electric fence! If only!
    Naw that wouldnt work sure those wont even keep out a roaming t-rex!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Make sure that the camera is only focused on your garden. He could compain if the camera monitors his private space.

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Case_Study_8_-_2005/327.htm

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Data_Protection_&_CCTV/242.htm

Advertisement