Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours cutting down my hedge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

If little saplings are annoying him imagine how he'd feel to look out one day and discover you've planted mature Leylandi (fast growing trees, cause of many a neighbourly disputed) across the divide. Jus sayin!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wouldn't use weedkiller, plenty of High Nitrogen fertiliser will cause no damage but result in plenty of work to keep it cut back.
    Especially if it is in some areas and not in others...;)
    http://www.gouldings.ie/our-products/fertiliser/sweetgrass-fertiliser/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The unfortunate thing is we just moved here.... to get away from obnoxious neighbours���� the problem could be us????

(((HUGS))))and no it is NOT you. Please be sure of that.

Hide behind the fence and wait for neighbour to lean over.
    Grab his hand, jump up and yell "leave my stuff alone" in his face.
    Don't forget maniacal laughter as he scarpers.
    If no one else saw it, deny everything and the neighbour will look crazy when he tells the story.
    To make story even more unbelievable, wear a Harlequin costume.

LOVE it!

If I was you OP I'd go with the fence idea. Stick it up and put the hedges or climbers of some sort on your own side to cover it if you don't like the look.

Then, and only then, would I draw a giant cock in weed killer on that immaculate lawn:D

How about giant brambles and nettles along the fence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I feel for you OP. Thankfully I've been lucky with neighbours but I don't know what I'd do if I ever ended up living beside a ****.

One thing I would suggest is that the softly softly nicey nicey approach won't work. A camera is no harm but it's not easy to identity someone in a hoodie at night.

It's never easy but (s)he needs to know that he's dealing with a complete ****ing maniac.

First I'd buy round up and spray is on his lovely hedge and all over his lawn just for lols. Rince and repeat.

Then, I'd get my shovel and one night dig up your back garden and "bury" a body shaped object in bin liners. To complete the narrative get one of your mates to call to his one day looking for his friend who "was last seen in the area".

A lot of work but he will not think of you as a soft touch anymore, thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Goodness there do be some very creative imaginations behind those screens!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Dogs. He won't be as quick to stick a hand over the fence. And they might even patch up the hole, to stop the dogs going into their garden to relieve themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Send him a solicitors letter indicating you will take them to court for damage to your property and then see if he touches it again

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I would get a good boundary in the back garden if not already at 2m height.

As for front. Mmmm.

These people have excessive time and tendencies and light and lawn are their gods. You probably won't reason with them.

Cameras could be an idea. Planning for a higher wall. Concrete steel reinforced and about 250mm thick?

Some kind of obnoxious smell that gets sprayed every time they interfere with your hedge?

Some sort of lower structure that is sharp or difficult to negotiate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

^^^^
    Anti deer fence might work

f8b19f17ccbce70b32b09fbe249e9732--garden-works-garden-tips.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd have great fun with that family.
    Oh the things I can dream up ....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭barman linen

Make sure that the camera is only focused on your garden. He could compain if the camera monitors his private space.

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Case_Study_8_-_2005/327.htm

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Data_Protection_&_CCTV/242.htm

Not unless that space could be reasonably seen from the location of the camera - or a person standing in that space. This case sets quite a precedent in CCTV camera positioning

http://www.tjmcintyre.com/2006/05/high-court-gives-disappointing.html

http://www.courts.ie/judgments.nsf/bce24a8184816f1580256ef30048ca50/9bd14182c49347be8025713300410c9c?OpenDocument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Given the history of these neighbors I'd put up a dummy camera obviously overlooking the hedge and a real camera hidden watching the dummy camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Graces7 wrote:
    (((HUGS))))and no it is NOT you. Please be sure of that.

How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Love to distribute a kilo bag of wild meadow flower seed over the top of the ruined hedge onto their lawn some breezy night :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Far less imaginative than some of the others I'm afraid, but I'd tend to put a heavy duty 2m chain link or wire-mesh fence around your boundary and plant your hedge of choice on the inside of it. Bland on their side, attractive on yours, and also covers any gaps in the boundary that allow unwanted intrusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No you wouldn't, you would be depressed and exasperated at the totally weird attitudes some people have, and their willingness to try and mess up other people's lives.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

looksee wrote: »
    No you wouldn't, you would be depressed and exasperated at the totally weird attitudes some people have, and their willingness to try and mess up other people's lives.

Yep, other people's annoying neighbours talked about at arms length are way more fun than having your own.

looksee wrote: »

I've had problems with neighbours. When the crap flows their way they soon give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

I've had problems with neighbours. When the crap flows their way they soon give up.
    I wouldn't 'hedge' my bets on that one.:)

James 007 wrote: »
    I wouldn't 'hedge' my bets on that one.:)

No beating about the bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

No beating about the bush.
    Get special branch involved:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

iamtony wrote: »
    Get special branch involved:)

I may be going out on a limb here, but it might be better to leaf well alone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

one day I can home to find the husband bent over our fence trying to snap off the whole hedge.

Right here is where I would have completely lost my sh!t at him and left him in no doubt that messing with my side of the boundary was more hassle than it was worth.

Then I'd have planted a pile of Leylandii, thrown a load of nettles into the boundary hedge, and hooked up an electric fence where it was just hidden by the topmost twigs.

ETA: on second thoughts, for some people a measured "Can you please explain to me why you are vandalising my hedge? I will be sending you a bill for the damage" can do wonders to soften their cough too. But you still have to catch them in the act. Preferably with witnesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

OP, how big is their garden - is your hedge to the south of their property? People planting high trees and hedges on their Northerner boundaries that completely block all direct light into a neighbour can also be a big problem. Perhaps they had to put up years of inconsiderate planting from your predecessor. Large trees and hedges are very inconsiderate in areas that have small back gardens. This would not give them any right to enter your property but it is a consideration.

Advertisement