Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours cutting down my hedge

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

OP I've a WiFi CCTV camera I don't use. You are welcome to it. It has night vision and motion sensor. Just needs a micro SD Card. It will even alert you on your phone. PM if you want it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The problem is what's to stop him killing the hedge. You can't monitor his garden so it would be easy for him to spray weedkiller or throw Hytrol. I would definitely go for a wall or fence. You can go higher than 2m by fixing a trellis on top of the fencing. Even with a fence I would still install a camera.

In the meantime I would use a camera but, unlike most here, I would do it secretly & hide the camera. If you get proof then get a solicitor to write a letter threatening to sue for trespass & criminal damage. I would also take the proof to the Guards & ask them to have a word.

You have to nip this in the bud :) You have to send a clear message that you won't tolerate any trouble. By the way a client of mine needed to secure two side of a garden. On one side she got a builder to put in concrete posts with slide in concrete panels as she was told this would be fast & cheaper than block. A few months later another guy built a block wall, on the other side, for half the cost of the concrete one.

Remember the old saying that strong boundaries make for good neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

AlanG wrote:
    OP, how big is their garden - is your hedge to the south of their property? People planting high trees and hedges on their Northerner boundaries that completely block all direct light into a neighbour can also be a big problem. Perhaps they had to put up years of inconsiderate planting from your predecessor. Large trees and hedges are very inconsiderate in areas that have small back gardens. This would not give them any right to enter your property but it is a consideration.

The right to light does not include a right to a view or a right to direct sunlight.

The ops neighbours are nuts and should be dealt with as such.

Get a camera, put up security lights and build a proper fence or wall. Any evidence, send them a Copy (also keep a copy) and tell them you will go to the gardai the next time. You don't wanna go through all the hassle so scare them first.

Plant anything you want op. Normally I would say don't annoy neighbours when you just moved in, but in this case don't worry about some idiots who think they have a right to do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

I had this issue with neighbours too. Their kids in my garden constantly, damaging hedge the same way. Tried to be nice about it but was told I was a crab. They upset my other half very badly. So, I went the nuclear way, staged a shouting match in the garden saying I'm going to kill John next door, killed their lawn, shat on their doorstep and dumped topsoil (20tonne of it) in their entrance to house. They stopped. I wasn't proud but they stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

madmac187 wrote: »
    I had this issue with neighbours too. Their kids in my garden constantly, damaging hedge the same way. Tried to be nice about it but was told I was a crab. They upset my other half very badly. So, I went the nuclear way, staged a shouting match in the garden saying I'm going to kill John next door, killed their lawn, shat on their doorstep and dumped topsoil (20tonne of it) in their entrance to house. They stopped. I wasn't proud but they stopped.

Appropriate user name... ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement