Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Lathe Bowl Turning Chuck Advice

Options
  • 08-04-2018 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,
    I have recently purchased a Union Graduate lathe and am somewhat new to turning.
    I have quite a bit of experience with turning spindles, etc. But want to move onto bowl and platter items now.
    Robert Sorby seems to produce very good quality tools and many wood turning accessories. I have read that the Patriot range is very good for bowl turning etc, but, there are so many variations, its hard to know what the difference between them is..
    What would any of you recommend as a general purpose chuck? Or has anyone any experience?

Many thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i have a RS supernova . its great
    record power bought them of robert sorby. i have there version as well. i have my my cole jaws left on it permanantly. i cant fault either. they are the same as far as i can see var a few cosmetic things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i guess it depends on what size bowls you want to turn? my lathe maxes out at 12" diameter, and for me i've had no problems with the 100mm axminster clubman.
    https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-clubman-sk100-woodturning-chuck-ax915228

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Agreed it depends on your turning requirements

My lather maxes out at 44",

but my nerve bottles out a lot earlier with off centre stuff:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 irishoak

Hi the_pen_turner, many thanks for the reply. Is RS Supernova (Robert Sorby?) still available?

Hi magicbastarder and kadman, my lathe is able to turn 12" over the bed and 18" on the outboard.

44" is scary!! What make of lathe would that be?

Does anyone have a Compatriot chuck? Does it come complete with everything you need?
    My lathe came with an Automatic quick release Tail Stop including chuck, 2x Tool Holders including outrig support, screw chuck, 2 prong centres, large faceplate, small faceplate.

If I order it (the compatriot), will I be able to start turning bowls straight away?
    Or do you order the chuck and have to order the jaws separately?

Thanks again,
    irishoak

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

not sure if the supernova is availible or not. record have their version.
    the last time i was in the carpentry store in naas, i was looking at a robert sorbe chuck. cant remember the name.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

worth checking out what range of jaws are available for each of your options - and how readily available they are.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

irishoak wrote: »
    Hi the_pen_turner, many thanks for the reply. Is RS Supernova (Robert Sorby?) still available?

Hi magicbastarder and kadman, my lathe is able to turn 12" over the bed and 18" on the outboard.

44" is scary!! What make of lathe would that be?

Does anyone have a Compatriot chuck? Does it come complete with everything you need?
    My lathe came with an Automatic quick release Tail Stop including chuck, 2x Tool Holders including outrig support, screw chuck, 2 prong centres, large faceplate, small faceplate.

If I order it (the compatriot), will I be able to start turning bowls straight away?
    Or do you order the chuck and have to order the jaws separately?

Thanks again,
    irishoak

My lathe is a Centauro manual. Spindle length is well over 6' I believe.

And it has an outboard turning section, which adds another few feet to the length. Gets used more for car resto work than woodturning.

Not used much now so missus says I should get rid. I say no, if it goes, I go.

Yip...thats what I,m hoping she says:D:D:D

Advertisement